Gary Johnson, stick or twist?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Do you support GJ?

Poll ended at 17 Jan 2023, 14:06

Yes - keep him
52%
No - get rid
48%

Total votes: 69

desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Formations dont win matches , players do
There was plenty of width last night, and plenty of crosses going in but not enough desire to get on the end of them, got to really want to make it yours not think it might come to you, show some anticipation, get in front, bust a gut to get there first. Moxey knocks some great balls over especially that low fizzer but no one seems to anticipate it or know what he's going to do !
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I now believe the decision as to whether Johnson stays or goes is out of his hands. Besides the obvious wins and losses stats, 9 goals and 22 conceded from 12 games and i think its 28 or 29 yellow cards is unacceptable.
The decision will be made on financial terms, take away last nights meagre away support and probably 600 season tickets who have already paid for the dubious privilege of watching the game then less than 900 actually paid on the night.that is not sustainable.
If we debate the merits of someone else doing a better job we just put off what I think is inevitable, the decision will have to be made sooner rather than later, stay with what we have and its conference south for us.
Johnson will say and has done many times alreadythis season, we will ponder, think deeply and see what we can do to change things around,not you notice,we will turn things around .
If you are asked with the chairmans head on,boss I need money to sign some quality players or pay the wages of good quality loans can you honestly say anything other than you have a squad of 27 all of which are your pics, why should I.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Accurate passing required and passes that are actually there. Else we will just keep giving the ball away, after working hard to get it.
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

Disappointing for all the effort made last night but still lacking shape when it came to defending to the end. Goodwin and Jarvis worked hard at the other end but no authority in the middle or especially at the back. I wonder what Downes does with the defence through the week as it doesn't work on the field. Another one whose future must be in real doubt as a seemingly useless mouthpiece on the touchline blaming everyone else.
Scorpion
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Danny Stevens

Post by Scorpion »

The question that should be asked is whether replacing the manager is likely to lead to an improvement in fortunes. Gary Johnson has already won the National League twice - I don't think he's suddenly forgotten how to manage! Maybe the budget is the problem or the location of the club in terms of attracting players, in which case replacing the manager might not accomplish anything. Clearly results aren't good at the moment, but I'm not sure changing the manager will solve anything.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Yellow6 wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 13:03 Disappointing for all the effort made last night but still lacking shape when it came to defending to the end. Goodwin and Jarvis worked hard at the other end but no authority in the middle or especially at the back. I wonder what Downes does with the defence through the week as it doesn't work on the field. Another one whose future must be in real doubt as a seemingly useless mouthpiece on the touchline blaming everyone else.
It really makes you wonder what actually happens on the training ground. Free kicks, corners woeful........shame that we could not afford a senior
ex manager (ala Warnock) for a month to oversee view things. Report his findings to the hierarchy should they be interested.
We have a Manager who has achieved success in the past, but this is now and this is where we are Rock Bottom. A complete shambles .
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Where is Kev Nicholson these days - he was an expert at fighting relegation battles!
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Just answered my own question - he is in temporary charge at Exeter following Matt Taylor's departure!
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

Scorpion wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 14:44 The question that should be asked is whether replacing the manager is likely to lead to an improvement in fortunes. Gary Johnson has already won the National League twice - I don't think he's suddenly forgotten how to manage! Maybe the budget is the problem or the location of the club in terms of attracting players, in which case replacing the manager might not accomplish anything. Clearly results aren't good at the moment, but I'm not sure changing the manager will solve anything.
Changing the manager may not improve things but I think it’s reasonable to assume that unless something changes we are going down. None of us know our budget but there must be plenty of clubs in this league with smaller or similar budgets that are massively outperforming us. No one can say GJ is doing the best with what he’s got.

Yes our location counts against us, but Plymouth and Exeter are doing ok. It wasn’t that long ago Exeter spent 5 years in the national league. Given they didn’t make the stupid decision to get rid of their youth set up they have been able to bring through and sell off young players for a decent return. We instead rely on short term deals or loans with players that have no connection to the area. That isn’t GJ’s fault but from what I’ve seen tactically we are woeful and that comes down to coaching and management.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

thebigp1 wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 16:03 Changing the manager may not improve things but I think it’s reasonable to assume that unless something changes we are going down. None of us know our budget but there must be plenty of clubs in this league with smaller or similar budgets that are massively outperforming us. No one can say GJ is doing the best with what he’s got.

Yes our location counts against us, but Plymouth and Exeter are doing ok. It wasn’t that long ago Exeter spent 5 years in the national league. Given they didn’t make the stupid decision to get rid of their youth set up they have been able to bring through and sell off young players for a decent return. We instead rely on short term deals or loans with players that have no connection to the area. That isn’t GJ’s fault but from what I’ve seen tactically we are woeful and that comes down to coaching and management.
I've asked before, on the question of location. Does training need to be local, why not Bristol or the midlands. The players only need to attend Plainmoor twice a month for games and could coach down together. You could have a player rotation to the Torquay area to undertake charity events and the like.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

thebigp1 wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 16:03 Yes our location counts against us, but Plymouth and Exeter are doing ok. It wasn’t that long ago Exeter spent 5 years in the national league. Given they didn’t make the stupid decision to get rid of their youth set up they have been able to bring through and sell off young players for a decent return. We instead rely on short term deals or loans with players that have no connection to the area. That isn’t GJ’s fault but from what I’ve seen tactically we are woeful and that comes down to coaching and management.
We are reaping what we sow with regards to the youth set-up. When it was binned off as a cost-saving measure I don't think too many people were upset; it hadn't produced anything for quite some time. But Exeter doing OK is a direct result of having that pipeline from their youth set up. Players like Watkins and Ampadu get the headlines - and the big money - but it offers a relatively inexpensive production line of players who are able to play for the club. Jack Sparkes is a great example, and even though he was only with us for a month or so it was obvious he'd have a decent career.

We need to have a fit-for-purpose youth set-up that is providing a steady stream of players who are able to play first team football. We don't have that.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Nick Potkins wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 16:47 I've asked before, on the question of location. Does training need to be local, why not Bristol or the midlands. The players only need to attend Plainmoor twice a month for games and could coach down together. You could have a player rotation to the Torquay area to undertake charity events and the like.
A very good point Nick on the location of the training.
However I guess this would mean somebody having to make a long term decision on this.
Also as I think was said before as Torquay is considered the end of the world, despite the roadlinks it might encourage long term an opportunity of
a wider range of signings.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Just watched the post match interview with Gary Johnson....feels like there's a bit of fire in the belly missing. I'm sure difficult to respond so quickly after a defeat but I'd welcome him to come out and say its frankly unacceptable, the players are clear on their (under) performance vs expectation, i need to bring in better and quickly and in terms of a day off tomorrow the players are coming in to discuss what needs to improve and how following 1 point from 6 in what could have given 6 points, should have given 4 points and 1 point is well off whats acceptable. The post match interviews just sounds like the same old same old. Something needs to change and fast. The season is going too quick too turn a Millets tent into a Marquee. I'd also say they need to get on the phone to PAFC and ECFC to see who's available in key positions
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Mrs Dawlish and i have a conspiracy theory as to why the hell Gary Johnson is still our manager when he should have been sacked over 12 months ago.
As we are well aware, Uncle Clarke has put near 5 million quid into the club with nothing to show for his money. We are now in year 7 of his 5 year plan which has failed for numerous reasons. We are well aware that Osbourne has no interest in Torquay United football club and he is using the club for other interests outside of football, namely building a multi purpose stadium in Torbay. Obviously Uncle Clarke isn't interested in which league the club are in and therefore relegation to the National League south could be beneficial to Osbourne. Just think that if we are indeed relegated, unlike last time the club could go part time like most teams in the National Leagues North and South. This will probably half the wage bill and therefore dramatically reduce the money it is costing him each season.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

dawlishmatt wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 19:46 ...why the hell Gary Johnson is still our manager when he should have been sacked over 12 months ago.
Just wondering your thoughts on who would replace him with the same breath of knowledge and skill-set. Maybe one of the eight managers who teams are only 1 to 3 points ahead of us? Or does your conspiracy theory extend that all these managers ought to be sacked and put out to pasture.