Torquay v Maidstone. 28/02/23.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We won the game so stop moaning. You may well be right but in our position the win was all that mattered. Didnt Wrexham beat them with a last minute goal last week?
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

LikeaPatOutaHele wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 00:29 Firstly, Crole missed out because of the 5 loan rule and, based on his cameo as substitute against a tiring 10 man NL South team, he is no where near ready for this division.

Todays game.
A mediocre match played by two poor sides, of which Torquay were marginally the better just about deserving the win.

The most significant threat for Torquay, by a mile, came from Da Silva (my MOM) who was causing Maidstone nightmares down their left, beating their left back time and time again. A pity he was playing wing back which restricted him having to get involved, too often, in defensive duties.
Jarvis lead the line well on limited ball and looked the only likely scorer. Without these two, we are lost. There are no replacement options.

Alongside Jarvis, Fadahunsi had a quiet game, again with limited service. He did look strong and lively. There could be potential there and he did supply the ball to Jarvis for the goal.
At the back Moxey and Donnellan were solid. How Donnellan has grown through the season. A midfielder who is one a our better defenders.
Halstead too, was solid catching a string of crosses. Today his kicking was rather off but I will allow him a large degree of slack given his contribution in many games this season.
Lawrence did not impress, being continually beaten in the air, several times by the Maidstone number 10 who must have been about 6 inches shorter than him. He did improve a little as the game progressed. Lapslie, who ran his socks off, was seldom able to get forward in true box to box fashion, being limited by having to do the covering work for Evans (shows skill but has no end product) and Aguiar (a poorer version of Evans, adds nothing, lightweight, gives the balls away to easily). Aguiar may well have talent but he is not ready for a relegation battle and we don't need players learning on the job. Agree with a earlier comment, the combination of Evans and Aguiar is not viable.
The much critiscised Hanson did the job required when coming on as sub, probably making a more significant contribution in 15 minutes than Aguiar did in his 75.

Overall, the fact is we struggled to beat the side at the bottom of the division who have failed to win in their last 8 league games. Neither Goodwin nor Wearne have been replaced with equivalent standard players. I could add Ellis and Ness asd well. At present I doubt we are good enough to be competitve against any of the better teams. I fear for the season without Duke McKenna/Sinclair Armstrong level additions.
Please, let the Woking and Notts County games prove me wrong. I will be delighted to receive a torrent of abuse in a weeks time for my pathetic judgement.
Today, a win is a win. Perhaps this is a step nearer putting a significant run together. Perhaps the return of Hall, McGavin and Martin in the near future can balance the side to make real progress to survival. Perhaps!
“Lawrence did not impress” - each to their own, but I thought he settled after the first 10 minutes and played well - definitely an upgrade on Omar or Marshall.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I thought Lawrence did very well when you consider this was his first game at this level. He is 19 years old.

Having just watched the highlights I think the importance of Tom Lapslie should never be underestimated because our crucial goal came from Tom closing down a Maidstone player causing the ball to hit Lapslie ,reach Tope, who put it into the path of Jarvis, who scored a quite brilliant goal in the circumstances.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Tom did OK, but I can't see how you can comment too much from the highlights.

The players of the match were Moxey, De Silva and Jarvis. Not sure if that came through on the highlights.....
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I was at the Match toastkid.

If you look at the MOTM thread you will see who I picked.

I have not missed a Match in the League this season but I always look at the Highlights. I think I have watched Jarvis score the winner 4 times. Sad I know.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Agree it was an outstanding finish - Harry Kane like - the way he struck the ball high into the far corner, no messing , a confident clinical strike A two footed player as well - rare these days. More of the same Aaron , keep it going.
Steve_TUFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Steve_TUFC »

Poor quality game, but I must say that I thought the referee, David Richardson, was ok yesterday. Obviously there’s always a few calls you could question, but that’s the nature of the game. He actually walked off the pitch smiling, unlike the others who need an army of stewards shielding the torrent of flack from the supporters.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Steve_TUFC wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 10:23 Poor quality game, but I must say that I thought the referee, David Richardson, was ok yesterday. Obviously there’s always a few calls you could question, but that’s the nature of the game. He actually walked off the pitch smiling, unlike the others who need an army of stewards shielding the torrent of flack from the supporters.
I agree with that. He was a shining light in a sea of National League refereeing mediocrity.