Chippenham Town V Torquay United 19/4/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

We played like a team who’d already won the league, had a few players injured, on a bumpy pitch and a hot afternoon. Hence we lost. I’m sure it would have been different if we’d needed the points.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Think it was almost predictable that we would lose (or at least draw). In fact had them down to lose in my accumulator on Sky bet. Unfortunately others let me down!! Seems like the pitch was partly responsible to negate our passing style.
On to Monday which will be a party atmosphere and I think a win to sign off in style.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

All our posters are making a conscious effort to be charitable in their comments which in all honesty was abject, is it the end of the season mood , I cannot for one moment believe that Johnson will have accepted that performance regardless of changes to the team, yes the pitch had more in common with a nine hole golf course without a flat surface anywhere but the home team managed to cope. The highlight of the game and man of the match in my eyes was the large feller behind us in a dark blue t shirt who verbally laid into the 5 year olds in the back row who were throwing flares. They thought they could intimidate him until a few others turned round and were up for throwing the said five year olds over the back fence, although they denied they had anything to do with it after they were shown the door no more flares, strange that.
Hopefully the match on Monday will have a little more quality from us because if that is the nucleus of next seasons squad and we make a habit of playing like we did today guess where we will be playing footie the season after.
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

I honestly think the lads were still hungover'ish. GJ mentioned it in his post-match interview. He said he wonders if they hydrated correctly in the 3 days they had off. Something definitely seemed off. Reid looked off his usual pace. He hits the nail on the head with his comments in his interview. If I was a player I would definitely be looking to pull my finger out for Monday. We've got to try and persuade some of these fans to return next year. He seems to get the balance right. He doesn't insult the players, he just says you're either moving forward with me or not - your choice. But these lads I guess have never been in this position before so who can blame them if this week the preparation went a bit wonky.
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

GJ most definitely not happy with the performance and not enjoying the understandable heckling from the Chippenham fans ie "You`re getting sacked in the morning" . Players playing for their places next season and that level of performance wont be tolerated. GJ telling it like it is as always.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Johnson questions whether the players performance was down to dehydration. That was his code signal to say the players, having been given a few days off, have had one to many sherbet lemons, Alcohol is a diuretic, so a hard day training on Wed will have only made the dehydration worse, which in turn interferes with the way the body makes energy. Johnson reckons the were 50% off pace which is another way of saying the players were totally ****. You can tell he was none to happy about it.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

MellowYellow wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 21:36 Johnson questions whether the players performance was down to dehydration. That was his code signal to say the player having been given a few days off have had one to many sherbet lemons, Alcohol is a diuretic, so a hard day training on Wed will have only made the dehydration worse, which in turn interferes with the way the body makes energy. Johnson reckons the were 50% off pace which is another way of saying the players were totally ****. You can tell he was none to happy about it.
This seems at odds with Johnson's comments yesterday on the OS after Thursday training.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

nickbrod wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 21:42 This seems at odds with Johnson's comments yesterday on the OS after Thursday training.
I am sure they trained really hard and as I mentioned that will have only made dehydration worse, Without getting into a biology lesson the long term effect of alcohol is slow muscle recovery because it is a powerful diuretic that can cause dehydration and electrolyte imbalances, depleting your energy and loss of endurance. It was no coincidence Johnson used the term dehydration... it was not a reference to the players failing to have a glass of water with their breakfast, that's for sure
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Who actually cares if they had one too many - lets face it they deserved it.

Meaningless fixture only made meaningless because we have dones so well to make it so.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

This was the fourth away game where we’ve taken more than a thousand fans and we haven’t won any of them. Coincidence?
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Awful ground, could hardly see a thing first half standing on the side as it was just hard flat standing. Pitch shocking, no social club or bar to speak of, couldn’t get a beer. Mickey mouse football. Players way off the pace( understandably) wondered why I bothered half way through. Hope we never have to go back there.
TUST #324
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

brucie wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 22:28 Who actually cares if they had one too many - lets face it they deserved it.

Meaningless fixture only made meaningless because we have dones so well to make it so.
Maybe considering we have won the league but not to the 1200 fans from Torquay.
Lucy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Either way after watching Johnson on his post match interview I fully expect a response on Monday.
Lucy
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

brucie wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 22:28 Who actually cares if they had one too many - lets face it they deserved it.

Johnson does - he cares for the travelling fans (not the armchair variety) who spend their hard earned cash to be entertained. Johnson cares about next season and the higher level to be played, enough to indicate that if the players do not turn up and perform in the final two matches then their pre-season holiday will be longer than just the summer.

Meaningless fixture? I'll let Johnson have the final word on that "if they are not competitive for every game then I will move them on"
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Prepared to forgive them this one bearing in mind it was the worst pitch (in dry conditions) I have seen us play a league game on which made it a leveller and difficult to play football on, as long as normal service is resumed on Monday, we really don't want to let down a big crowd and have all those extra people wondering how we managed to win the league. Shame about Janneh as he and Reid built up a good understanding but really Hungerford must be taken to the cleaners