Torquayunited v Billericay Town 3/11/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Johnson has worked miracles to date and along with everyone else he is a godsend! today’s team is pretty much what he inherited, like he said previously, they will all find their level and if they are not up to it they will not be here long, IMO other than the loanees they are all in unstable ground.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

For me that is a decent point.

We were shorn of half a dozen or more players who would probably have started the game had they been fit - I cannot remember a season where we pick up so many injuries week in week out, and losing the excellent Opi Edwards today was a bitter blow.

The league isn't won in the first week of November. I have full confidence in GJ who it seems will not accept failure. Disappointing after being 2-0 up at half time but if we can get some of these injured players we will be there or thereabouts.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Good job we had Lemonheigh-Evans, was dominant in the midfield as was Dickson he battled well today

Felt Kalala being in the position he was didn't work, i would have rather Nabi started

Billericay are nothing special we gifted them the point especially after the first they got through shambolic defending.

Have to say it was obvious they would go long to the big bloke when they brought him on but we didn't get on top of that.

Officials today were clueless
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Thought I'd get home have me tea & think about it for an hour, so....
Excellent first 45 mins made them look very ordinary, different story 2nd half but all the moaning & groaning about them time wasting, standard of refereeing etc is futile, they were cleverer than us & used the sending off to their advantage, they broke up the play & deliberately frustrated the crowd we are not that way inclined as yet.
Our squad is not strong enough all the way through, our 1-11 first choice team would probably be in the top 2 in this division but we all know football is now a squad game, I think GJ knows it & we will probably see more incomings sooner or later.
We are also a very young squad who need to learn quickly but I do think that if we scored our second just after half time they would've capitulated.
They are tonight's league leaders for a reason & we need to manage games better & for 95 mins not just 45, we are getting there ,slowly, but 2 months on from GJ's appointment it's encouraging that we feel disappointed with a draw against the money bags of this league. I still think we will be in the promotion spots at the business end & Bill&Ricky will implode.
In GJ we trust.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I think we gave the ball away to easily today and lacked the quality of Jake Andrews, Opi Edwards and captain Asa Hall. Janneh scored two goals but his control in the build ups was very poor and put us under pressure time and time again. It's the first time I've seen the centre backs look uncomfortable under pressure. I'm afraid it's two points thrown away today. :keepie:
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Billericay are a horrible club. Positive is that we were better at football than them but they were better at gamesmanship.

Ref couldn’t deal with it - should have given their 6 a second yellow for his antics when substituted. If refs don’t clamp down teams like Billericay get away with it.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

standupsitdown wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 18:35 Billericay are a horrible club. Positive is that we were better at football than them but they were better at gamesmanship.

Ref couldn’t deal with it - should have given their 6 a second yellow for his antics when substituted. If refs don’t clamp down teams like Billericay get away with it.
And that is the exact reason why they will romp home with the title if we don't wise up quickly
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

After Tuesdays poor performance I thought we needed to make a statement of intent and the spell Johnson wove unfortunately only lasted 45 minutes. Second half we were as bad as we were first half at Weston. Remove the loan players and we would be in the bottom six and I don't think there would be many arguments on that score. I know its pointless moaning about the standard of referring but eventually, someone at the FA has too take notice, why book their keeper in the 90th minute when he was warned about time wasting twenty minutes earlier. I was very close to the Reid booking and both he and the defender went down after a fair tackle, there was no claim for a foul, from anyone , the defenders didn't accuse Reid of diving but he gets booked for simulation. Billericay are not a team but a group of football mercenaries, on this performance they will not be in the top three come April, I have seen better teams at Plainmoor this season. If I have to call out anyone today it was Mcdonald , he had a very poor game, why he headed that ball out of the area I will never know but two schoolboy errors in the last four matches have both resulted in the opposition scoring and us needlessly losing points.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Teigngull if you assess that Billeray were the cleverer side God help football. I have never seen a side who virtually refused to play at all for the final ten minutes of a fixture. They obviously reflect the character ( or lack of it) of their owner. They didn't deserve their point and they certainly deserve no respect.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

arcadia wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 18:33 I think we gave the ball away to easily today and lacked the quality of Jake Andrews, Opi Edwards and captain Asa Hall. Janneh scored two goals but his control in the build ups was very poor and put us under pressure time and time again. It's the first time I've seen the centre backs look uncomfortable under pressure. I'm afraid it's two points thrown away today. :keepie:
Niate scored the first.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I read an article recently that even in the Premier League the ball is only in play for 56 minutes out of 90.

The authorities are aware of the problem but when will they take action. That is the question. It cannot come soon enough
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

My mistake.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

You have to ask if it took the player they had sent off 5 minutes to actually leave the pitch (most pathetic thing ever that he was allowed to do so) how this and multiple injuries and substitutions added up to 4!

The answer is the officiating at this level is simply substandard and Billericay exploited this big time.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

I suppose the main positive is that they didn't beat us, this league won't be won by a landslide this season. Let's face it billericay are just about averaging 2 points a game and are top. We can easily pull back the 7 point deficit. But my only concern is that we are drawing too many games.
Lucy
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

. This referee lost it. It for the guy with the whistle to control the game. This guy whistled a lot but controlled nothing. He was a total idiot.

As for Billericay there are plenty of games left for them to be fully exposed for what they are.