Player Search - Who Will Turn Up?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

tufcyellowarmy wrote: 23 May 2018, 21:17 FFS let it go man...!!!
It's you needs to do one and let it go ~ have I slagged anyone off? No! the reference is made purely to make the point that this now Gary Owers' show and not 'that bloke who keeps turning up at home matches because he hasn't managed to get another management job since he lost the one he had'

There there; not a mention of the name that sends you into raptures. Just an emphasis that the club is under different management, managing in the manner that they see fit.
Last edited by merse btpir on 23 May 2018, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

sgf wrote: 23 May 2018, 21:07 Jesus H. Christ! We are still in May. People need to chill out
You say that but aren't McGinty, Davis, Young and Dorel only days away from telling the club what they are doing?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

nickbrod wrote: 23 May 2018, 21:33You say that but aren't McGinty, Davis, Young and Dorel only days away from telling the club what they are doing?
Well that's reason enough not to be committing as yet to some considered signings who might yet not be needed should the manager get the responses he wants from them.

Does he need an experienced goalkeeper if Dorel says 'yes'? No he does not. Will he need one of Dorel says 'no'?

Of course he does.....it's hardly rocket science is it!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I can barely contain myself. If Owers plans come to fruition we'll have half the squad that are rightly labelled the worst team in our history. Definitely different management.....
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

It's all a matter of perspective isn't it? I'm not expecting significant signings in "it's only May still" until those four offered deals give their responses in what is supposed to be the coming days.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Southampton Gull wrote: 23 May 2018, 21:48 I can barely contain myself. If Owers plans come to fruition we'll have half the squad that are rightly labelled the worst team in our history. Definitely different management.....
In a league below. Maybe that's the level
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Every manager is going to try and keep some of the previous squad. Dorel is a decent keeper. Clarke is an old crock. So you are berating Owers for what exactly?

Because he is trying to keep four or five of last seasons players. Whats wrong with that?
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

I spoke to McGinty in Asda at the weekend. He stopped to have a chat and said he’s off on holiday and will then decide and ‘Gary Owers won’t stop calling him’. Undecided it seems
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

brucie wrote: 23 May 2018, 22:14 Every manager is going to try and keep some of the previous squad. Dorel is a decent keeper. Clarke is an old crock. So you are berating Owers for what exactly?

Because he is trying to keep four or five of last seasons players. Whats wrong with that?
The same players you were slagging off last season, not that you really saw any of them play ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

merse btpir wrote: 23 May 2018, 21:32 It's you needs to do one and let it go ~ have I slagged anyone off? No! the reference is made purely to make the point that this now Gary Owers' show and not 'that bloke who keeps turning up at home matches because he hasn't managed to get another management job since he lost the one he had'

There there; not a mention of the name that sends you into raptures. Just an emphasis that the club is under different management, managing in the manner that they see fit.
Yes, can anyone please explain why Frank O'Farrell keeps turning up because he hasn't managed to get another management job since he lost his last one. :devil:
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Suspect McGinty will be off elsewhere - if so good luck to him. Would be delighted if he remained but unlikely. Frank O’Farrell is though a true LEGEND.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Regarding McGinty I look at it like this...

Ben Gerring and Ed Palmer (both players regular torquay fans know something about) were good enough for a play off team last season. Is McGinty better than both of them? On what I’ve seen yes, so I would be happy if he stayed.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Admiral wrote: 23 May 2018, 23:14 I spoke to McGinty in Asda at the weekend. He stopped to have a chat and said he’s off on holiday and will then decide and ‘Gary Owers won’t stop calling him’. Undecided it seems
A lot will have to do with what Gints thinks of the Owers as well as the obvious stuff like career progression , money , length of deal etc.
Owers doesn’t strike me as the kind of manager that gets close to his players and he did have a sticky relationship with one or two last season.
I just hope Owers sticks to the deadline given to the players to decide etc which I thought was imminent !
If Owers or Harrop extend the deadline then what little credibility he or the club have left will be gone.
If they don’t want to sign then move on.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

If you were in Owers position you would be looking for replacements now and maybe upset a few if they don't make the deadline. McGinty is well worth keeping but if he is not happy he must move on. It's hard for players to drop down a standard as it's twice as hard to get back up.
I hope he stays.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

:goodpost:
arcadia wrote: 25 May 2018, 19:14 If you were in Owers position you would be looking for replacements now and maybe upset a few if they don't make the deadline. McGinty is well worth keeping but if he is not happy he must move on. It's hard for players to drop down a standard as it's twice as hard to get back up.
I hope he stays.
Completly agree with everything you said.
I thought McGinty was pretty decent come the end of season but his head was turned from interest elsewhere.
I wish they would all stay but if not i would hope for young ambitious talent over old semi retiring pros to gove us a chance of competing next season .