Best goals seen at PLAINMOOR

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

Derek 'The Dude' Dawkins scoring against Tottenham Hotspur in the League Cup 2nd Round 1st Leg tie on September 23rd 1987.

http://youtu.be/bIcGevScqa0
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

dave caldwells overhead kick against scunny.
sam_
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Angus MacDonald

Post by sam_ »

Some of these have been listed, but these are mine, no particular order.
Nicholson v Barnet
Sills bicycle kick v Histon
Young Yesterday
Young's free kick v Woking
Kevin Hill v Exeter in the play offs
Jarvis v York a couple of seasons ago
Matt Hockley v Halifax
Nathan Craig v Gillingham.

More will come to me, but those particular goals have been etched into my memory.
We'll be back...
sam_
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Angus MacDonald

Post by sam_ »

We'll be back...
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

The memory fades with time but I've witnessed great goals from Stubbsy,Fryatt,Alan Welsh,Rioch,Brown,Currie,Hathaway,Steve Cooper,Saunders,Loram,Jack,McCall;even the likes of Lawrence,Binney and Rudge scored some good 'uns .Mickey Cave's(though not at Plainmoor stands out- not only was it a belter from 25 yards-the goalie never moved,it silenced a packed Villa Park and sent the travelling Yellow Army into raptures)
Great goal yesterday too-best goal scored at Launa Windows Stadium so far! There are more to come from Youngy to be sure.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

Plenty of top notch goals but still has to be EoK's 2nd against Plymouth (his 1st one being pretty much the same as Young's against Wrexham), purely because it wasnt a case of hammering the ball at the goal. He decided where in the goal he wanted the ball to go and hit it just perfectly.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Sunnysideup wrote:Plenty of top notch goals but still has to be EoK's 2nd against Plymouth (his 1st one being pretty much the same as Young's against Wrexham), purely because it wasnt a case of hammering the ball at the goal. He decided where in the goal he wanted the ball to go and hit it just perfectly.
I think this mirrors my thoughts. Speculative but powerful efforts always impress the well intentioned but dim masses (I'm thinking MOTD goal of the month/season more than here) more than the less spectacular but beautifully measured shots. Have a look at last year's PL GOTS vote. It included a Wayne Rooney effort from halfway. Creditable no doubt, but since the keeper wasn't even in shot, all we're asking him (a man on £300,000/week, remember) is hit a 196'^2 target from barely 120 feet away. There are plenty of us on here who could do exactly the same thing. It's not special, he's just whalloped it at the goal.

The kicker for me is, "could he do that again if he tried?" For me, Youngy could have another 100 goes at that and would score maybe 5 times. Eunan could have another 100 goes at his and would score with at least 35%. That's not the only factor, of course, but if two different goals of relatively equal merit appear in the same competition, I like to use that question to help decide.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Sunnysideup wrote:Plenty of top notch goals but still has to be EoK's 2nd against Plymouth (his 1st one being pretty much the same as Young's against Wrexham), purely because it wasnt a case of hammering the ball at the goal. He decided where in the goal he wanted the ball to go and hit it just perfectly.

Great goal by Youngy, best I have seen given the circumstances of the game and that he had also rattled the post from an earlier freekick. He certainly is gaining a habit of scoring crutial goals, not withstanding his assists from set pieces. Add the pressure of his captaincy he really is playing with freedom and confidence. Furthermore he is also setting the example of shooting outside of the box, something we have sadly lacked since Eunan left.

I think there is alot more in Youngy's locker.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

There are a few goals already mentioned which I totally agree with and are definitely on my list, as well as a few others, although I cant quite remember when they were or who they were against. :~D

Paul Gibbs last second screamer v orient 97/98
Paul Smith vs Southend 87-88 season (Great run)
Steve McCall v Scarborough 97/98 play-off semi
Lee Thorpe overhead v stockport 05/06
John Uzzell v ? A Sherpa van game in extra time, absolute bullet header from way, way, way out. Sadly there werent many there to see it.
Paul Holmes (before he was crap) v ? Ran down the right towards away end, cut inside and curled one top corner with his left foot.
A few crackers from Mark Loram!
David Graham volley in top corner in 2003/4 v darlington, plus a few more from Graham. There are a couple of similar goals I remember in different matches where he received the ball quite far out, turned in, shot, and it flew in almost top corner.
Tom Kelly v ? Very similar goal to the ones I described from DG above, received the ball way out, set himself and fired into the corner of the net, keeper had no chance. Not bad for a player who hardly ever scored!

There are memorable and important goals as well, but thats for another thread.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Phipsy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Phipsy »

Luke Young the best in current years.
I remember as a kid watching a few go in from the incomparable Don Mills, always with his left foot.
He was known as the Mills Bomb.
Stubbsy of course.
One in particular running from the half way line ,going past Three defenders and blasting in the top corner from the edge of the box.
Great memories.
However I believe Young has more goals of that quality in him, fabulous technique .
Phipsy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Phipsy »

Forgot to mention the great Sam Collins.
The most prolific scorer?
Wonderful in the air but most certainly a great goalscorer but NOT a scorer of great goals.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Danny Stevens scored a belter from outside the box, against Stevenage in the 2010-11 season. :)
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

CP Gull wrote:Danny Stevens scored a belter from outside the box, against Stevenage in the 2010-11 season. :)
A brilliant goal made all the more memorable for the fact the ball looped to Stevens on the edge of the box directly after another player, I think it was Ben Pringle, had struck powerfully against the crossbar.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Didn't he also score a corker against Yeovil when we played them in the FA Cup on the BBC?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
gurneygibbs23
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: jean pierre simb

Post by gurneygibbs23 »

Alex Russell scored a few beauts. A free kick v lincoln 02/-03?? in top corner
and a maybe mis-hit scissor kick in the league one season forget who against.

Chris Brandon also scored a few long range belters. That guy had bags of ability but was too inconsistent