FA Cup 4th Round - Torquay United vs Crawley Town

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Gulliball wrote:They don't have the money to sustain what they're doing for more than a year or two. He might as well sign whoever he can now whilst the cheques are still worth the paper they're written on. He'll be off to another club when the money runs out so he might as well build the very best team he can. The responsibility is with those who'll be at the club long term, the owners and the fans, to ensure nothing that damages the future of the club takes place - but I suspect it's beyond that stage already.
Especially if they've already written some dodgy contracts already and built up a nice big expenses bill! I think it'll eventually be new club or prison sentence as the final destination!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
jackospinking
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by jackospinking »

cambgull wrote: Especially if they've already written some dodgy contracts already and built up a nice big expenses bill! I think it'll eventually be new club or prison sentence as the final destination!

Morning all, now, dont get me wrong im not a big fan of SE, but in his defence, he now has nothing to do with any monies at the club (thank christ), and has a srict budget, set out by the owners, and their investors, we have set out on "project promotion" with one goal to achieve, hence this magnificent cup run is all bonus, nearly £500,000 so far, more than enough to run the club for the next year, dont forget we had an estimated investment of £1million, of which just under half has been spent,as with all newspapers, they tend to hype up and throw figures in the air, our wage bill is nothing like what has been banded around, and nowhere near, lutons, wrexham or grimsby, anyway have a good day and loking forward to saturday. COYR :-D
SLC Crawley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by SLC Crawley »

Gulliball wrote:They don't have the money to sustain what they're doing for more than a year or two. He might as well sign whoever he can now whilst the cheques are still worth the paper they're written on. He'll be off to another club when the money runs out so he might as well build the very best team he can. The responsibility is with those who'll be at the club long term, the owners and the fans, to ensure nothing that damages the future of the club takes place - but I suspect it's beyond that stage already.
You really need to get some new material!
SLC Crawley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by SLC Crawley »

NickGull wrote:Okay, maybe I was a bit OTT with that bit. They maybe have 3 games in hand, but that'll put them only 8 points ahead. A fair distance, but thats surely what should be expected of a side that's spent that sort of money. Just like Notts County last season.

I'm not for one minute suggesting that it's going to be an easy game, far from it. They've obviously got something about them, hence why they're 2nd and they've progressed this far!
Do you not think Luton have spent a bit of money this year? And even AFC 'holier than thou' Wimbledon?

Best defensive record in the division, most away wins, fewest away defeats, and after tonight potentially 11 points clear (if games in hand are won), and even taken on a points-per-game ratio, still 10 clear.

Err, I think that will do us for now.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

SLC Crawley wrote:Do you not think Luton have spent a bit of money this year? And even AFC 'holier than thou' Wimbledon?
Aw, are we a bit jealous that AFC are the conference lovelies? :)
Last edited by HRG on 25 Jan 2011, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
GulldenBoy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Branston

Post by GulldenBoy »

Crawley fans - While you guys have the gruesome twosome in charge of your team I don't think you'll win many fans with us.

It's nothing personal towards your club or your fans.

I think the whole debate about your fans being in the home end and causing trouble is a case of you being tarnished with the same brush as Evans and Raynor. I went to both Crawley away games in the conference and never had any problems with your supporters.

Saying that, on the pitch I hope we thump you 7-0!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

SLC Crawley wrote: You really need to get some new material!
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but do you really think Evans cares about the future of Crawley? He's already been linked with a few clubs and when he leaves you, he'll move onto a bigger club without any trouble at all. That's not meant to be a put-down, but it's the reality of the situation. He's like all of us were at one stage, the 12 year old playing Championship Manager who gave a club a billion pounds and then bought everyone they could. The big clubs get away with it because they're allowed to build up unsustainable debt, and there'll always be a Russian/American/Chinese businessman waiting in the wings to save them. But the non-leagues are filled with overspending clubs who now no longer exist because they lived beyond their means and don't have the resources to rebuild the pieces when everything falls apart. You might be happy with Evans' job now, but his level of spending will be your downfall before too long.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Tubbs not in tonight's matchday 16. Rested, injured, banned or dropped?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

ferrarilover wrote:Tubbs not in tonight's matchday 16. Rested, injured, banned or dropped?

Matt.
rested is the general opinion - although interesting that nobody else in their first XI is rested so maybe there is more to it.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

with tonights other league 2 games, we rally need to win the 2 games we have in hand to stay in touch with the play offs... i have a bad feeling with our amazing start to the season we will start to loose our promotion hopes.

EDIT: cant find a better thread to put this in :)
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

tufcgull wrote:with tonights other league 2 games, we rally need to win the 2 games we have in hand to stay in touch with the play offs... i have a bad feeling with our amazing start to the season we will start to loose our promotion hopes.

EDIT: cant find a better thread to put this in :)
Don't worry its worth mentioning somewhere!

So far its not a bad night in L2 for us - we'll be 8 points behind 3rd with 2 games in hand on most of the clubs above us, and obviously home games against most if not all of them anyway. All in our own hands...........

Incidentally, Crawley now 2-0 up. Hopefully they've had to work hard for that and are tired now!
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

3-0 crawley now.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

This shows that we are not favourites for Saturday's game - just hope they have picked up some injuries or suspensions!
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Crawley are the form team, haven't conceded a goal in three matches, scoring five in the process.

We on the other hand, can't seem to keep a clean sheet to save our lives at the moment, if only we could recreate our clean sheet run from the start of the season.

However, I feel a passionate speech coming!

THIS IS THE FA CUP WE ARE TALKING ABOUT!!

Form books go right out the window, who cares if their favourites to win, we thrive on being the underdog, just ask Blackpool and Yeovil from their past FA Cup experiences with us.

Anything can happen, we're at home, their away. Plainmoor looks like it may be full or near abouts, if the fans get behind our team with non-stop singing and support from minute one to ninety and turn Plainmoor into a fortress, then who knows, we could be going to Old Trafford in Round 5 and possibly even further.

We may never get a better chance to get to the 5th round, imagine Torquay in the 5th Round of the FA Cup with the likes of Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea & Spurs still left in the hat. :O

If I didn't have work commitments, I would have gone, however I will be cheering the lads on via the interweb and on dotnet, going for a 2-1 win.

We've waited a long time for our deserved pay day against one of the bigger premier league clubs, could it be that by Sunday evening our time will finally come........

Good luck to both teams, I have no hatred towards Crawley supporters, just the two idiots who are managing their club. :evil:

YELLOW ARMY!!! :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Now I wouldn't wish anything bad to happen to anybody but if a few opposing players got severe cramp or a sprained toe just to give us the edge, that would be fine.