Torquay United v Chorley 29/2/20

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

McDonald in goal today. :-o
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

1-0!!!
Cundy
Minute before HT
Now HT 1-0
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

SBP wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 09:11Cundy to score his first goal. Yes i know i m being optimistic.
Good shout
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

2-0
Reiddddyyyyy!!!
Great cross by Ben Whitfield

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

FT 2-0
Well done everyone!!!! :clap:

TUST Member 468

Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

Good result. Delivering on what was expected of them.

Hopefully this will put to bed some people’s thoughts of a potential relegation battle.

Playoffs is becoming a real possibility now.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

A reasonable game played in very poor conditions - high winds, driving rain/sleet and heavy pitch. The defence played well today and Chorley had barely a sniff of a chance. The midfield did not really gell and conceded the advantage to Chorley for large portions of the match. Despite that, and having had only had four attempts and two on target in the first half, the second half gifted us a number of gilt-edged opportunities which Azeez and Reid squandered. How Azeez missed the open goal I never will know. And he and Reid missed three further one on ones before Reid made the game safe. All in all we created 10 chances in the second half as Chorley ran out of steam but only 4 were on target.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Obviously a welcome 3 points and home victory. If we hadn't won this game today with the chances we missed and squandered I would have walked out of those gates and ripped my season ticket up.
I still cant believe how did Reid and Azeez missed those chances. Travelling home I listened to the Radio Devon commentary and it was laughable and they were laughing.
Firstly Chorley are dreadful, 90 odd of their fans who travelled down to watch their team are a credit to their club.
From my point of view Chorley are the worst side I ve seen at TQ1 this season. We started with the same formation as last week playing Whitfield and Longridge as wingbacks. I hate seeing Whitfield in that role. Jake in for Armani and Shaun in for Covolan, injured I guess.
We had all of the possession in the first half however we made the wrong decision or lacked composure in the final third.
Just before ht and we get a freekick and Cundy get his head on the ball and in it goes. Im delighted for him, he hit the post, bar and deserved that goal.
2nd half starts and same as last week we fall asleep for 5 min and give Chorley the possession however its difficult to describe the next 10 minutes of just how we managed to make such a mess of 2-3 opportunities when it was easier to score.
We do eventually score again with Reid(checkout my earlier post of goalscorers and prediction). I thought I was going to be correct.
No idea what Shaun was doing flapping at corners and crosses he was clearly never going to get. Never a dull moment with him.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Agree with the majority of what Modgull and SBP have said, obviously when we had our two week fitness camp, finishing skills was not high on the agenda, I thought Reidy had lost his goal scoring confidence so glad he actually nailed one even though it was a tap in. Midfield is dysfunctional, either Andrews or Evans is the playmaker, but not both, they seemed to want to occupy the same space all game, I think Evans is carrying an injury , he pulled out of every tackle. Whitfield played well but far too deep to use his skillset. Lewis was my MOM, he seems to get better every game and you can see he has class. A good three points but god, did we labour it.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Made hard work of that , should have been 5, three incredible misses, Azeez with an open goal, and Reidy had too much time on the other two, but he played very well today.
Chorley had quite a few chances late on and a better team would have made us pay. Noticed loads of people streaming out of Bristows 5-10 minutes from time, don't think it was anything to do with the game , it must have been absolutely freezing there with the wind coming straight at them, I was cold enough on the pop side.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

culmstockgull wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 19:02 I think Evans is carrying an injury , he pulled out of every tackle.
He seemed to hurt his knee early on and was limping for quite a while but eventually seemed to run it off. However he was limping again when he came onto the pitch after the final whistle.

I'd agree with your observations about him and Andrews not working as a pair, think Andrews is much more effective out wide.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

A win is a win but this was against a very poor side. They seemed to want to give us the win on a plate and we, it seemed, did our best to try and not take it by missing glaring chances! Having said that we scored 2 and didn’t concede in difficult conditions.
I have a concern however with Azeez playing up front with Reidy. I feel that Reidy doesn’t know what runs to make and the edge has been taken out of his game with Azeez alongside. I know it takes time to ‘gel’ as a front pairing and that most of us have been asking for a partner for Reidy but I thought Azeez was poor today ( not just for his miss) and I don’t think he is the answer? Although I would love to be proved wrong!
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Andrews is better out wide. Evans just not the player he was last season.

Playing 4 at the back suits us better.

Playing wing backs stops Longridge and Whitfield going further forward. We lacked them when on attack
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

If ever there was a game I expected to win it was probably this one. 3 points in really difficult conditions. A special mention to the defence, they were superb and led really well by Cameron. Lewis and Longridge are starting to look class. No easy way back for Wynter at the moment.
Despite a comfortable win, the other end of the pitch is a real worry. Jamie Read is looking lost and it isn't just since Azeez has come into the side (it's been fior a while now imo). His goal masked a poor performance (although my son disagrees). Most of his best work is being made around the centre circle and that's not where we want him to be. Reid has to be firing if we are to have any chance of the playoffs. The first one on one chance that he had summed it up for me. Any good striker in form would not have even thought of passing (even though Azeez missed a howler). The other chances he missed show a real lack of confidence. Thoughts?
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I don't think our set up is helping Jamie Reid. He needs to be running into space, playing off the shoulder and linking with the midfield quicker. We are very defensive in how we are setting up, 3 at the back with 2 wingbacks who are quite deep, then Asa playing just in front of them. Jamie is dropping deeper and deeper to collect the ball and linking in with the midfield. If any of the midfield picks up the ball and looks forward its not an easy pass forward and then you look left and right and the ball generally has to go back before going forward and by then the opposition are defensively set up.
I think GJ is concerned about how many goals we were leaking and is giving as much protection as he thinks they need. So what we are now seeing is that we are becoming defensively hard to break down however we are not creating the offensive opportunities.
So we are now not seeing expansive attacking football with 4-5-6 goals a game, to not conceding and with fewer scoring opportunities.