Benyon - Swindon

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

We did sign Jake Robinson too mate
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Jake Robinson is a good signing and will hopefully be a slightly different dimension to Benyon (and god forbid, will force PB to stick 2 up front! Crazy!). Hopefully we'll have some budget to sign the good loanees in the summer, perhaps PB is hoping loan signings can take us up so he can save the small budget we have for L1 players.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Anyone know if there are clauses as part of this deal? I'd assume there are.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Hopefully the fee will become public, and we've managed to get a decent sum for him. On one hand we can complain that it's not as high as other clubs have got for similar players (especially Manset), but it's still a decent amount of money at this level, and selling players is vital to clubs like us.

Let's not forget that we got him on a free, and he's given us 4 years of great service, got us back into the league and kept us there too. In all that time he's given his all for the club, even when he wasn't a regular and has developed into a very, very good player indeed. This is a good move for him, and it will only help our cause to get players moving on to bigger clubs. Clubs like Scunthorpe, Crewe, Exeter and others have got reputations for developing players and helping them to play at higher levels, and that has to start somewhere. It also means that you have to accept that players are going to move on. We're going to lose Ellis and O'Kane before too long as well, but we can use them as examples to convince other youngsters to move here and do the same. A reputation for doing this should help us to get bigger fees in the future too.

The sell-on clause could be worth something in the future. If he scores 15-20 goals a season at Swindon, then his value will shoot up. Hopefully we get into the habbit of selling to bigger clubs with sell-ons, and the club can grow on the profits generated.

Thanks for everything Elliot, and good luck at Swindon.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

Yellow4life wrote:Anyone know if there are clauses as part of this deal? I'd assume there are.
Yes, it's "an undisclosed fee, with a sell-on clause included in the deal".

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 17,00.html

No idea what the figures are for either are though. Hopefully they get leaked out in the press soon.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

ipswich paid more for lutons andy Dury! (150K)

Robinson is a good replacement and will offer a different approach if we play kee and him

but 135K is pathetic, yet again robbed
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Do you know something the rest of the world doesn't PR? £135K?

If right it doesn't seem the great scoop we hoped for but don't forget we had Macklin from them last summer. This was probably the other half of the deal to get him here!
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

Modgull wrote:Do you know something the rest of the world doesn't PR? £135K?

If right it doesn't seem the great scoop we hoped for but don't forget we had Macklin from them last summer. This was probably the other half of the deal to get him here!

You think adding macklin in as part of the deal suddenly mades 135K a good deal :P

me thinks not!
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Good luck to Benners, hope he continues to progress as he has done with us.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Being a cynic, i find myself wondering why it is 'undisclosed'? Not to placate our fans for losing our star player for a meagre fee i hope...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Repeat myself. Benyon is out of contract in 6months. You don't get the best fee when the player can just walk away for nowt (or next to nowt) in the summer. The tribunal would have got us about £30k or something measly.

I'd hazard a guess the Luton player wasn't in the same situation.

This isn't a transfer Torquay were desperate to do, but one done out of neccesity. Have to protect the club, and £130k or whatever it is now + a sell on clause is a good deal for TUFC with all things considered.

Had they not messed up against Crawley maybe we might have been able to take £100k hit at the end of the season. Right now, no way.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

£30k? How on earth do you come to that conclusion? We got more than that for Muzzy, a bit-part player that hadn't achieved anything in comparison and hadn't been here as long.

We'd have got upwards of £100k at tribunal.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Fonda wrote:£30k? How on earth do you come to that conclusion? We got more than that for Muzzy, a bit-part player that hadn't achieved anything in comparison and hadn't been here as long.

We'd have got upwards of £100k at tribunal.
If you think we'd have got upwards of £100k then there's no way Torquay would have sold him.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

royalgull wrote: If you think we'd have got upwards of £100k then there's no way Torquay would have sold him.
Think we would of got 100k + if we had waited but we would might not of had a sell on clause with that.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by TUFC92 »

Another point to add, think of what we got for Akinfenwa when we had only had him for one season. Surely the development Buckle has given Benyon, then we would of got a good amount of money from a tribunal.

I agree with Fonda completely, I don't think he was desperate to get away in the slightest, and I think that he is one of the good guys, if the club had said to him wait til the end of the season, stay in the side, get your 20 goals and you'll go for a bigger fee, move on to bigger and better things while getting the club the best deal possible, I think that for everything Buckle and the club has done for him he would of been happy enough.