Gary Johnson, stick or twist?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Do you support GJ?

Poll ended at 17 Jan 2023, 14:06

Yes - keep him
52%
No - get rid
48%

Total votes: 69

Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Aldershot sacked manager Mark Molesley and his assistant manager Tom Prodomo after crashing out of the FA cup to National League South Chelmsford City following a winless four-game run that has left them in 22nd place in the fifth tier with just three victories in 13 games.

Gary Johnson is in a very difficult position. I still believe he can turn it around, but time is running out. He seems as deflated as the team and I can’t see how he can motivate the players on the pitch if he himself is not operating with full conviction.

There is too much credit being given to the team and opponents, we need to be setting the expectation of victory in every game to set the standard and inspire belief.

Switch it on Gary, time for some no nonsense tough talk with the conviction that winning is the only acceptable outcome
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

I see no evidence GJ is turning this around, not with the current squad anyway. He seems to have lost the dressing room and for whatever reason the players aren’t buying into it. I don’t see the point in waiting, we’re already getting cut adrift at the bottom and the longer we wait the harder it will be for any new manager to get us out of it.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I'm in the camp where I feel there is absolutely no need for anyone to be personal or resort to gutter nastiness regards Gary Johnson. Gary Johnson has been a great servant to football, a great servant to our football club, none of this should ever be forgotten.

Despite the success GJ has had at every club, he's also got a record of hitting a brick wall at every club, not having the ability to break through such a wall, therefore ending up replaced at most clubs he's been at, I believe GJ has hit a brick wall right here at TUFC, yes, we all know TUFC can't buy in what Wrexham and Notts County can, however this is where your scouting network comes into play, there has always been a Vardy or Smalling knocking around in the non-league, it's the job of the scout to find the hidden gem, it's the job of the manager and coaching staff to polish the gem.

This is where I believe that Gary and Pete Johson's reputation outweighs their ability, it's no longer the point, can we afford to pay off GJ, it's the fact, we've arrived at the point where the question should be, can we afford not to pay them off, our squad looked broken yesterday.
Formerly known as forevertufc
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

You make a good point about paying them off. I don’t think the club can afford not to pay them off. Our attendances are dropping off a cliff. We have thousands of fans staying away and to be honest it’s hard to blame them. The club will be running at a bigger loss if these attendances continue and in the long term this does more damage.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Forevertufc, your first paragraph spot on, Many people overplay his successes but conveintently forget his failures and weaknesses foremost amongst them his brother, regardless of whether we do away with Johnson and the whole backroom staff who ever arrives on the suicide mission will still inherit a squad that is incapable of winning ,it is not their lack of confidence, but a basic lack of ability.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Twist, quite simply we are not moving forward as a club, a number of key things need addressing.
This is the same discussion we were having last November, the back end of the season covered over the cracks.
We need to wake up to the reality of what is going on. Gary's past and NLS record counts for little. Yesterday's man in my view.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Since promotion in 2019, each of the subsequent seasons has seen the team suffering a run of form which have seen the pram-toy throwers demanding his sacking.

First season back 2019/20, after a decent start, injuries took hold, and we went around ten games without a win and were starting to get back to form before COVID occurred.

2020/21, we had a really dodgy spell after Christmas, and even then people were suggesting he was stealing a living and then we went 15 games unbeaten and were robbed off promotion.

After seeing his team torn apart and the hurried signing of players to have enough to field a team, we had a slow start but from the game at Weymouth in December, I would say we were playing as well as the season before but then once again, Johnson has seen his entire team dismantled and has had to start again.

Things are looking grim at the moment I think Gary Johnson has proven over each of the last 4 seasons with us, that he has turned a team that was not playing well into one that is. This season has been his biggest test because it has been his biggest rebuild job. Anyone with an ounce of common sense can see that this season was only ever going to be about getting through it as best unscathed as possible.

When things start going wrong it just gets even harder to see the wood for the trees and I find it really disrespectful to see some of the vitriol aimed at Gary Johnson after he has given us some of most enjoyable seasons for a very long time.

He has earned the right to try and put things right and even if we went down, I’d stick with him as he would be our best chance of coming back up. My feeling is that if he leaves, then we are more likely to suffer relegation than if he stays and I seriously doubt Clarke Osborne could even be bothered to come up with a decent replacement. Look who we got when Nicholson was sacked? It took about 6 games of Robbie Herrera as caretaker before we were presented with Gary Owers. Part of me imagines that if Johnson did go then the most likely candidate would be Paul Tisdale but then he has been pretty hopeless since getting sacked by MK Dons and his stock has really fallen.

Those screeching for GJ to go, cannot even come up with a reasonable candidate to replace him; not a single one other than mentioning former Torquay players like Kevin Hill or Kevin Nicholson.

From 2012 until GJ came in, there was such a disconnect between club and fans and I will remember fondly atmospheres like that away at Weston-super-Mare and Woking as when he goes there won’t be nights like those for a long time.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

:goodpost:

Bang on.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

hector wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 20:56 Since promotion in 2019, each of the subsequent seasons has seen the team suffering a run of form which have seen the pram-toy throwers demanding his sacking.

First season back 2019/20, after a decent start, injuries took hold, and we went around ten games without a win and were starting to get back to form before COVID occurred.

2020/21, we had a really dodgy spell after Christmas, and even then people were suggesting he was stealing a living and then we went 15 games unbeaten and were robbed off promotion.

After seeing his team torn apart and the hurried signing of players to have enough to field a team, we had a slow start but from the game at Weymouth in December, I would say we were playing as well as the season before but then once again, Johnson has seen his entire team dismantled and has had to start again.

Things are looking grim at the moment I think Gary Johnson has proven over each of the last 4 seasons with us, that he has turned a team that was not playing well into one that is. This season has been his biggest test because it has been his biggest rebuild job. Anyone with an ounce of common sense can see that this season was only ever going to be about getting through it as best unscathed as possible.

When things start going wrong it just gets even harder to see the wood for the trees and I find it really disrespectful to see some of the vitriol aimed at Gary Johnson after he has given us some of most enjoyable seasons for a very long time.

He has earned the right to try and put things right and even if we went down, I’d stick with him as he would be our best chance of coming back up. My feeling is that if he leaves, then we are more likely to suffer relegation than if he stays and I seriously doubt Clarke Osborne could even be bothered to come up with a decent replacement. Look who we got when Nicholson was sacked? It took about 6 games of Robbie Herrera as caretaker before we were presented with Gary Owers. Part of me imagines that if Johnson did go then the most likely candidate would be Paul Tisdale but then he has been pretty hopeless since getting sacked by MK Dons and his stock has really fallen.

Those screeching for GJ to go, cannot even come up with a reasonable candidate to replace him; not a single one other than mentioning former Torquay players like Kevin Hill or Kevin Nicholson.

From 2012 until GJ came in, there was such a disconnect between club and fans and I will remember fondly atmospheres like that away at Weston-super-Mare and Woking as when he goes there won’t be nights like those for a long time.
He has had way too long. Look at the table Jesus!
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Admiral wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 23:31 He has had way too long. Look at the table Jesus!
Sadly, I can only agree. It is a results business. However, there are other elements within our club that I have mentioned before we should address. Maybe we should be called Tenerife United, we are stuck in the 80's.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Can’t afford to keep GJ and can’t afford to get rid of him! A paradox!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

hector , since promotion in 2019, from a league that by rights we should not have been in, then covid struck, it struck everyone, equally, a slow start to the season as you describe it does not last the best part of five months, injuries played their part, really, I do not know a club that suffers our injury levels. Moving on to the hurried signings season, that was not bad luck that was because there was no continuity planning at the club. It was definetley a case of lets all go on holiday we will sort it out when we get back. his rights as you call it to make things good and have the benefit of the doubt ended with that season.
This season Johnson had as perfect pre season as as any club could ask for, we had tough and varied opposition, but the bulk purchase signings were as far as I can see worse than last season, they are bargain basement, I do not want to tak about quality because the majority of them do not possess the basics of being a pro footballer. we re-signed Hall for his experience but I do not think with his knees any club would touch him after a medical, likeways lapslie.
It matters not that I or anyone else can come up with a list of suitable candidates to replace him, it is more who would want to take us on except for the salary. There will no player budget,there will be no chance of moving anyone on, if I am right we are stuck with a great many of these so called pro footballers for the next season and a half and that is all on Johnsons poor decision making and poor judgement.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

I see that ladbrokes are offering odds on who will be sacked first. There offering 1/2 on lizz Truss and 11/8 Gary Johnson 😀🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Can’t afford to keep him, can’t afford to sack him!
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Admiral wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 18:11 Can’t afford to keep him, can’t afford to sack him!
Seems like nobody has the bo++ox to make a decision either way at this stage :@