Slough v Torquay United 18/08/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Cockney Cockers wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 22:15 I was near the dug out today and the thing that struck me was the atmosphere of the bench, the team and general lack of enjoyment that is engendered under this regime. The joining videos were all smiles and positivity but believe me they are not enjoying themselves out there. Whingeing and death stares all round. These players are good at this level and we should have won at a canter today with a bit more team spirit, Unfortunately, Mr Owers does not bring that to the table.
He doesn't bring anything to the table apart from abject failure.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

O' dear - what can I say about this afternoons display? Not a lot, still angry about my time and money wasted

Highlights - 5 mins from time someone (don't know who) approached the dug-out and let Ower's have it with both barrels - could be heard around the ground - basically to ' go sling his hook' - stewards had to step in. Ower's did not see it coming and looked visibly shocked. After the final whistle, there was rendering from the Yellow Army of 'Time to Go Ower's' plus a verbal reminder to Reid for leaving the field of play without acknowledging us travelling fans. Think that tells you pretty much what the fans thought.

On the match itself - really is nothing to report - watching paint dry, springs to mind. May attempt a summary later, when I simmer down. What I will say is the set up for todays match was a 'Galaxy of Mismanagement' by Jedi Master Ower's. 5 at the back, 2 up front is a recipe for disaster. The players are good enough to succeed in this league of hoof-ball with the right managerial direction.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Cockney Cockers wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 22:15 I was near the dug out today and the thing that struck me was the atmosphere of the bench, the team and general lack of enjoyment that is engendered under this regime. The joining videos were all smiles and positivity but believe me they are not enjoying themselves out there. Whingeing and death stares all round. These players are good at this level and we should have won at a canter today with a bit more team spirit, Unfortunately, Mr Owers does not bring that to the table.
Strange that your view differs wildly from what Asa Hall has said this week. Just trying to balance your opinion with that of a current player. So who can be right?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

What would you expect a player to say?

I predicted this when I first heard his name touted. He's a dour uninspiring manager and it was evident a long time ago he doesn't have what it takes to turn our fortunes around. I have no problem with your defence of him but don't be fooled by what players say.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
ACW2IOW
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by ACW2IOW »

Porky wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 19:44 I don't know if I'm just a glass half full sort of guy but 1 conceded in 5 and no throwing points away in the last ten minutes. Still seventh with a winnable home game to come. Not the hammering today that some predicted.

On the striker front I thought pittman was sharp against argyle in the friendly and was surprised when he was shipped out on loan. Not sure what the answer is other than a useful loanee from a higher level club.

But when I see GO's interviews why do I feel like saying "you poor f***er" cheer up"
Not very inspiring is he - I wouldn't want to be in a dressing room with him as my Manager!
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

MellowYellow wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 22:39 plus a verbal reminder to Reid for leaving the field of play without acknowledging us travelling fans. Think that tells you pretty much what the fans thought.
Sounds like the same as the Thurrock match. As soon as the final whistle went, he was off down the tunnel while the others came over to the Popside.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

ACW2IOW wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 23:27 Not very inspiring is he - I wouldn't want to be in a dressing room with him as my Manager!
To be honest you'd think that the players would have enough balls and spirit to find a way of beating the likes of Slough and Oxford City (et al to come) without the need to be mollycoddled by their manager 24/7 but it seems not. It's basically like nobody from top to bottom gives a flying ****.

'Eureka' moment.
GRTourist
Trialist
Trialist

Post by GRTourist »

Hi all,

Sorry for intruding - I was at the game today taking photos and put together this match report & pictures.

https://thegrassrootstourist.com/2018/0 ... h-town-fc/

Hopefully it will be of interest to someone, and if anyone knows the chap who follows Torquay from Leicester please point him in this direction as I was talking to him pre-match!

Good luck for the season

GR Tourist
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

Thanks GRT. Brilliant report and pics. ATB
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

GRTourist wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 01:01 Hi all,

Sorry for intruding - I was at the game today taking photos and put together this match report & pictures.

https://thegrassrootstourist.com/2018/0 ... h-town-fc/

Hopefully it will be of interest to someone, and if anyone knows the chap who follows Torquay from Leicester please point him in this direction as I was talking to him pre-match!

Good luck for the season

GR Tourist
A very good read and a fair, unbiased opinion of the game with some great photos. Thank you.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

38 games, 10 wins. Relegation. 5 games in lower level, 3 goals. Why are we even considering this. He HAS to go if we want promotion.
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

Thanks GRTourist, greatvwrite up. "Reid's finishing was like a drunk toddler in snow shoes" ....... brilliant.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Great read GRT, you've essentially summed up our start with 2 sentences:

"with the goal at his mercy and Turner off-balance, Reid managed to slice his shot with all the finesse of a drunk toddler wearing snow shoes, and the ball flew wildly off target."

Likewise, it says it all if a neutral after 1 game can clearly see what our main problem is:

"Torquay’s (issue) was that none of their players could shoot. Either the kit man needed to replace their Toblerone boots, or the Gulls desperately needed to find Ruari Keating at half time"
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Before the Truro game all the fans in the bar were told to move to the Pop Side end of the club and stewards ushered everybody out. It seems there was a suspect bomb in a bag I expect Clark Osborne left it .

Pitman did not score yesterday.

Owers has put together the best defense we've had for the last few years, and any manager when putting a side together would start getting that right. We've got the players here but it needs a formation change which most agree with.

The last two games have been on plastic pitches and it is different after a few more games a judgement could be made but to many were against the manager before a ball was kicked.
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

It is going to be a season of 1 -0 either way and plenty more 0 - 0 matches, with the current set up and system. At the match yesterday, everyone was saying "Where are the goals going to come from......." Very frustrating for all to see. GO knows this and now has to act FAST!
Yes, the defence is adequate, Asa Hall gets better every game and should be captain, but up front, the lack of support, ideas and confidence is brutally evident. With a Healy and/or Romain, in the side, we would have won all three away games. I don't subscribe to negativity (and there is too much on this forum, understandably with all due respect), but the reality is unless a 'target man' and playmaker comes in (loan?), it will be the 'playoffs' at best, and mid-table mediocrity at worst (more likely at present) Keep the faith, gosh it is not easy....COYG.