11 Cup Finals

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

11 Cup Finals

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Well we have 11 games left to go until the fat lady warms up her dulcet tones and each one from now on takes on the old adage of 'cup finals'. This is my run down of the fixtures we have left and the possible outcomes (imo). If you feel it necessary to somehow find a complaint with this thread saying it's negative then that's up to you. All i'm doing is putting out there our remaining fixtures and how i think they will pan out. Obviously it is purely speculation as we don't know which teams might pick up a bit of form between now and the end and we don't know which teams might slump. Also we don't know if we will have any aditions to the squad between now and the end of the season but i want to have go at seeing where me might pick points up from. You don't have to take part if you think it's somehow pointless and 'perpetuating negativity'. :no:

OXFORD UNITED (H) : I feel that this game, along with the Chesterfield one which i will come to later represents our best opportunity to get 3 points on the board out of our last 6 at home. As Bitchie Renault eluded to in the matchday thread, they were battered at home last night against Rotherham and that more or less ends their play off aspirations so it is 50/50 whether they rock up at Plainmoor there for the taking or whether they come ready to bounce back. I still think we will lose this one however.

DAGENHAM (A) : I also feel that this game represents our best chance of an away win or at the very least a point from our games left on our travels. John Still has left to go to Luton and interim boss Wayne Burnett has taken over team affairs. They lost at home to Chesterfield at the weekend and like us, the new interim boss boost factor hasn't happened for them yet. Again, they are safe but have a caretaker boss maybe eager to prove a point so it will be a tricky game but one in which we should be looking at winning as we haven't a hope in hell of registering another away win this season after this one has gone.

SOUTHEND (A) : Drab defeat, nothing else needs saying.

CHESTERFIELD (H) : The spireites have been really poor this season and prior to the weekend had the joint lowest away scoring record in the division with us. They left us last though thanks to a 1-0 away win at Daggers although the goal was an own goal by a Daggers defender. This game has to be won and we need to go for it. No excuses. Chesterfield can't score away, they are in poor form and have no chance of a play off spot. Get into them and get the job done, 3 points.

YORK (H) : York could have found some winning form under new boss Nigel Worthington although draws have been their problem. I think this could be a draw although we will have to wait and see what impact Worthington has on results leading up to this game.

NORTHAMPTON (A) : Another disappointing powder puff defeat at the hands of a powerful unit in Northampton and nil pois.

BRADFORD (H) : Bradford could be out of the hunt for a play off spot by now or they could still be well and truly in it. Either way, defeat. They have better, quicker, fitter players than us and will be looking forward to their trip to the seaside.

GILLINGHAM (A): Hammering

BARNET (H): A very winnable game and that makes this game for me the most worrying of the lot. We could quite easily lose this one badly as win it so i have everything crossed that we will win it. More hope than expectation though, this can go either way.

MORECAMBE: (A): Could perhaps sneak a draw here but i expect defeat.

BRISTOL ROVERS (H): I pray to God that we are safe by then otherwise i doubt we will be able to function under the pressure. Rovers will be safe, in buoyant mood boosted by a massive away following and i'm frightened of this one basically if we aren't safe.

All in all there are certainly games to get our teeth into and it will be our home games that will get us out of this mess. Looking at those fixtures we can get the 3 or 4 wins needed but only if we begin attacking teams. I know many of you said that the Accrington point was a good one and in terms of it stopping the rot and keeping a clean sheet it was but anyone at that game would know that nothing has changed. They were poor on the day, we had 2 shots. This can't continue to happen, we could draw half our games left and go down, draws aren't enough anymore and we need to get the positivity and confidence that only comes from winning and playing well. I am clinging on to my last bit of hope which i have managed to rekindle after being certain that we will go down.

I'm like Fox Mulder, i want to believe but there is just nothing whatsoever in results or performances that can make this easier for me. Our hope is that we have got 2 teams in Chesterfield and Oxford that have gone, they're shot now and these two teams MUST be beaten. Forget the away games, go mental at Daggers and see if we can force them into errors and maybe nick a win but i know we'll defend at Morecambe, Northampton, Southend and Gillingham and they are just too strong for us given our current levels of form and confidence. We simply must beat Oxford, a draw would perpetuate the concern for at least another week but wouldn't yet be the end of the world whilst defeat (IMO) would definately see us relegated come the end of the season barring some miracle.

The truth is out there and like EMF once said, I BELIEVE ( until possibly 5pm saturday :~D ).

Your thoughts would be most welcome.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

How we work is We will lose to Barnet but beat Gillingham.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Oh, and you're not allowed to come on and say 'take each game as it comes' as it spoils it. :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

11 wins and sneak the last play off spot. Beat City in the Final. Easy
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

We won't win anything unless we get some re-inforcements sharpish.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Alot of the teams down the bottom end of the league still have to play each other they can't all win, 50pts should be enough.

So 3 wins and 2 draws from that list, very doable, however agreed do not fancy needing a result from rovers home and the last day.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

HEART SAYS,,

Oxford WIN, Dagenham WIN, Southend loss, Cheaterfield, draw, York WIN, Northampton loss, Bradford loss, Gillingham WIN (cos I ate em) Barnet draw (cos their scared of us) Morecombe WIN, Bristol Rovers draw as we celebrate witht hte gasheads as argyle go down.

Head says,,

Oxford WIN, Dagenham draw, Southend loss, Cheaterfield, loss, York WIN, Northampton loss, Bradford loss, Gillingham loss, Barnet loss (their safe) Morecombe draw, Bristol Rovers,,,, who knows, down to the result on the day,, this is TQY but it will be us or Argyle with Wimbledon that go down.

Just hope my heart rules my head

TQY TILL I DIE
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

forevertufc wrote:Alot of the teams down the bottom end of the league still have to play each other they can't all win, 50pts should be enough.
Loads of these 6 pointers still to play.

Games remaining between clubs currently in the bottom 7:

Wimbledon v York
Accrington v Barnet
Aldershot v Wimbledon
Accrington v Wimbledon
Torquay v York
Wimbledon v Barnet
York v Accrington
Torquay v Barnet

All those big games could work either way for Wimbledon, all will depend on how they cope with the pressure.

My money is on Argyle and Barnet to drop, we will be safe before the Rovers game and able to enjoy the day!

(There's always the chance that Pompey could get chucked out as well which I think would mean only one team relegated.)
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Argyle's remaining games are:

Gillingham away
Bradford home
Fleetwood home
Southend away
Chesterfield away
Exeter home
York away
Cheltenham home
Burton away
Rotherham home
Rochdale away

Five of the top 6 still to play! Plus the 3 teams directly outside the play-off zone.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Exeter City are in a play-off position and will probably stay there, Bristol Rovers are now five points ahead of us and Argyle are only two points behind us. We have lulled the rest of League Two into a false sense of security when they play us; they will all think they only have to walk onto the pitch to beat us.

But we will win every one of our remaining games, finish with 71 points and an impressive goal difference, and we'll beat Exeter in the play-off final. It's a deviously clever strategy for promotion.

The Gulls are going up....!!!! :) :) :)

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Jerry wrote:Argyle's remaining games are:

Gillingham away
Bradford home
Fleetwood home
Southend away
Chesterfield away
Exeter home
York away
Cheltenham home
Burton away
Rotherham home
Rochdale away

Five of the top 6 still to play! Plus the 3 teams directly outside the play-off zone.
That looks bad for them, i knew they were going down. :clap:

As for Portsmouth, they'll never get kicked out. They should be long gone by now and i'm sick of hearing about them and their pathetic plight. I hope they fold once and for all and then no more stories about they COULD do this and they COULD do that. Gets on my nerves! :@
Bitchie Renault

Post by Bitchie Renault »

I did the BBC football predictor thingy last week and although it is still such a lottery with so many games to go I reckon 47 points might just be enough to keep us up. We can't rely on it, but Wimbledon and Argyle do have very tricky run-ins. I'm struggling to see us getting many points away from home, so we may need 3 wins OR 2 wins and 3 draws from the home games, not impossible as most of them are against weaker teams or those with not much to play for. A win on Saturday would be such a massive boost, just to break the 40 point barrier would be something.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Sorry to spoil the optimism but I think we will not win three games before the end of the season. Instead we will draw games - but not enough of them - and one of us, Argyle and Stanley will accompany Wimbledon out of the league.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

By the way, does anyone really know what would happen if Pompey dropped out of the League? Could this save us just like Stevenage's ground saved us all those years ago?
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Modgull wrote:By the way, does anyone really know what would happen if Pompey dropped out of the League? Could this save us just like Stevenage's ground saved us all those years ago?
If memory serves correctly the precedent is that one less team gets relegated from each tier of the pyramid with the same number of promotions.

Although obviously in Scotland but when Rangers went down there was a big hoo-hah and I think court case because the 3rd placed (I think) 1st division team thought they should have been promoted (they weren't).
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084