Alan Knill - CONFIRMED

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

diamondgirl wrote:How is it going to work then? Will Alan Knill take on Martin Ling's roll? Will Shaun go back to doing what he did before Martin got ill?
That's the way I read the statement. Alan Knill has been appointed as interim manager and Taylor will ably assist him.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

PhilGull wrote:
That's the way I read the statement. Alan Knill has been appointed as interim manager and Taylor will ably assist him.
Which is my only concern, if Taylor tell's him we are incapable of playing 4-4-2 and that Craig is a right-winger and Benyon is no good...

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

The guy comes across as a little bit unlikeable which is unfortunate, however im convinced he's the right kinda guy for the job right now and hopefully lingy will be back for next season - which i'm sure is the common sentiment here.

Remember guys it could of been Bucks =D

Onwards and upwards
COYG!!!
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
HardofHerringGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by HardofHerringGull »

Robiberto22 wrote:The guy comes across as a little bit unlikeable which is unfortunate, however im convinced he's the right kinda guy for the job right now and hopefully lingy will be back for next season - which i'm sure is the common sentiment here.

Onwards and upwards
COYG!!!
The problem is, if he plays great 4-4-2 football it's attractive to watch and we storm up the table...would we want Ling back? :-/
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Robiberto22 wrote:The guy comes across as a little bit unlikeable which is unfortunate, however im convinced he's the right kinda guy for the job right now and hopefully lingy will be back for next season - which i'm sure is the common sentiment here.

Onwards and upwards
COYG!!!
This might be just what we need. There do seem to be a few players in the squad who are far too comfortable, someone new coming in and shaking things up a bit, with the threat of new loan signings to replace existing players may well be the kick up the backside that some (Nicho, Manse, I'm looking at you here) need.

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Dave Caldwell
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Dave Caldwell »

Has the club lost the plot, the only saving grace is new managers tend to get results regardless of ability!!!

See Alan Knill CV, "Lets hope the squirrel is joining him as number 2"

Knill was appointed manager of Rotherham United in February 2006, when predecessor Mick Harford was sacked. On 1 March 2007, Knill was sacked as manager of Rotherham, leaving the club bottom of League One and without a win in his final 14 games.[2]

On 17 March 2007, he was appointed to Chesterfield's backroom staff to help newly appointed caretaker manager Lee Richardson try save the Spireites from relegation from League One,[3] but the club were eventually relegated.

On 4 February 2008 he was appointed manager of League Two side Bury.[4] In his first full season in charge, Knill led the Shakers to 4th place in League Two, missing out on automatic promotion by one goal on goal difference. They were then beaten on penalties in a play-off semi final against Shrewsbury Town.

With eight games remaining, and only one point from the play-offs, Alan Knill left Bury to join Scunthorpe United on 31 March 2011.[5] His first game in charge was a 6–0 defeat at the hands of Norwich City,[6] followed by a 4–1 victory over table-topping Queens Park Rangers.[7]

After a difficult start to the 2012 season, Knill believed that life had been put into perspective after narrowly avoiding serious injury after a crash with a squirrel.[8] :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Knill was sacked as Scunthorpe manager on 29 October 2012 and replaced by Brian Laws.[9]
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I don't want Ling back regardless HOHG. Obviously i wish him all the best and really hope he recovers and maybe even gets back into football in some capacity but i don't want it to be here at Plainmoor. He is responsible for the worst football i have ever seen from a Torquay side and also taking us close to a relegation battle. However, he is also responsible for the enjoyment i got in watching our promotion push last term albeit with poor football and i have to give Ling immense credit for that but if Knill gets us playing in the opposition half for more than a couple of minutes per game then i would be quite happy to see his appointment made permanent should it be necessary.

It's all speculation of course and Knill may turn out to be worse than Taylor but i wouldn't want Martin back. I say this with as much respect as i can as it is a sensitive area and i don't wish to comment on his illness but only look at things from a footballing perspective. Whatever has led to this point is now water under the bridge, we have to trust the board, trust the players and trust Alan Knill to get us out of this hole. I still firmly believe that Plymouth will drop so that leaves us battling with 3 or 4 other sides and although our confidence is shot to bits, we have some good players at the club, better than what some down the bottom have and it's up to them and the management team to eek out some improvement from somewhere.

I have no doubts they can and i reckon come a months time we will be well away from trouble and looking forward. I believe Knill has no option but to play attacking football, we lose when we defend and at Rochdale on saturday we actually did look like we were defending a 1 goal deficit which was insane so we may as well seek the first goals in games and see where it takes us.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Scunthorpe - Haha

The filter seems to find word s-c-u-n-t-h-o-r-p-e offensive for some reason!
Last edited by Richinns on 20 Feb 2013, 15:35, edited 2 times in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Lets be positive about this. We wanted action and we have got it. This has been done with just about enough time to get out of trouble but I wont be surprised if Saturday follows the other results recently. As long as Alan Knill can instill some fight and a shoot on sight mentality we might just be okay. I'd take a point on Saturday as a start and then it's only 12 to go for safety (with luck). We haven't been tonked by any one so we aren't too far away from competing. The guys just need to believe in themselves and show some b*ll***S when up against it . The senior professionals in the club have a massive job to do and get out there and lead the line. Improvise, adapt, overcome! Play it on the ground or go direct, just have the confidence to do it FFS.

Lets all get behind Alan Knill's yellow army as thats all we can do as fans. :)
Oblivion!!!!
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Robiberto22 wrote: Remember guys it could of been Bucks =D

Onwards and upwards
COYG!!!
Thankfully, it was never going to Bucks, was it? He just quit a well paid job at a much larger club - he clearly has plans other than fire-fighting in Torquay, where he is loathed by 3/4 of the small fanbase...
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I need a lie down.

I've been agreeing with Andy's last few posts (aside from the sack Ling bit)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Mr Knill must make it clear that nobody's position in the side is safe, if they don't earn the right to play in the side. No favourites, no sticking to the same team simply because that particular eleven has played together so much in the past. This must be the start of a tough new regime. The players for the most part are good enough, they just need somebody to show them the way.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Richinns wrote:!@?& - Haha

The filter seems to find word s-c-u-n-t-h-o-r-p-e offensive for some reason!
Scunny works just as well.
Dockers Pal
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Dockers Pal »

Dave Caldwell knows what he's talking about. The players will read wiki about Knill, they want to win games. He'll get a chance.
But the better players will be talking to their agents about getting something else lined up for next season.
And look out for the dead cat bounce on Saturday.
Dave Caldwell
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Dave Caldwell »

Listen i played against Scunny in the play offs, the forum right not to post their name! :lol: