Alan Knill - CONFIRMED

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

austrianandygull wrote:Cheers for that BFC. Like Nick says, we have some decent players but they have been used badly and are now low on confidence. If Alan can get some spirit going and tweak a few things then we should be ok.

Oi and leave it Super!! :lol:
im ok with with this based on his experience with bury - as been said rotherham were on the rack financially and as for scunny, well they have only really done well under brian laws and nigel adkins!

wish him all the best. lets face it - we cant be any worse than we are at present.

oh, and andy - :na:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

BFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by BFC »

To be honest yellowsmiffy it's all good news on these points.
If you have got pace in your squad he will utilize it to great effect, we had Ajose & Bennett while he was at Gigg Lane, although we only saw Bennett off the bench under Knill.
If you have a creative C.M. he will get game time. We had Sweeney at Bury who was very creative. If you have a ratter to get the ball for him then so much the better.
Yes to 4-4-2 and yes to getting it down.
So happy days?
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

BFC wrote:To be honest yellowsmiffy it's all good news on these points.
If you have got pace in your squad he will utilize it to great effect, we had Ajose & Bennett while he was at Gigg Lane, although we only saw Bennett off the bench under Knill.
If you have a creative C.M. he will get game time. We had Sweeney at Bury who was very creative. If you have a ratter to get the ball for him then so much the better.
So happy days?
Ignoring you're initial point about not changing things during games(!), yes. HAPPY DAYS :~D
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
BFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by BFC »

Don't ignore that PhilGull whatever you do! It is a weak spot and I'm sure he must be aware of this himself?

If you get somebody coming to clubs like ours, be it a player or a manager, they're not going to be perfect are they!
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

welcome alan knill, lets get behind him and give him a chance, you never know he could be just the person we need. :-D
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

BFC wrote:To be honest yellowsmiffy it's all good news on these points.
So happy days?
So this suggests that maybe we'll get Craig in the middle of a 4-4-2, with Macklin and Bodin out wide and Howe/Benyon partnership. I think if we lined up like that on Saturday he'd immediately get most of the crowd on his side.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Underwhelmed by his record appears to be a common feeling at the moment, but it is nice to read some positive feedback. I will of course reserve judgement for next Tuesday when I see the team first hand. Onwards and upwards!

Another positive, is that we don't appear to be getting tonked week in week out. This at least shows that we are competitive and with a bit of fine tuning and confidence building could make a fist of it. Paintball for a bit of team building? he he.

Can anyone contact his agent and tell him that we need to be playing Nathan Craig in the middle?
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

I'm delighted with this to be honest.

Not sure what some people expected, we are a small, struggling club miles from anywhere who can only offer a job for 3 months!

We now have an experienced manager with a promotion from this division with a club of similar size to us on his CV.

When he was in charge Bury absolutely ripped us to shreds at Plainmoor with fast, attacking football. Easily the best side I saw that season.

Surely this is exactly what people were asking for?

There was zero chance of us appointing a manager who didn't have a sacking or 2 in his history (they nearly all get sacked eventually).

Some of the drama queens on here (and elsewhere) wouldn't have been happy whoever we appointed.

Good luck Alan and welcome to the club.
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

I agree, Jerry.

I'm NOT a pleb, Renault and give the new man my 100% support.

And that is all.
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Welcome Alan Knill, wish you all the best for this difficult task.

One thing I ask is. Dont go on reputaions, make your own mind up in the next few days who YOU think deserves a start in the next match.

This league this year is very tight, there is not alot bewteen top and bottom. We are a functional unit, defensively setup with very little creativity. Given this and a complete lack of confidence, witnessed last night as many times players took the easy / safe option. One exception Daniel Leadbitter.

Whatever is said on here, these are not a bunch of useless players, we were useless going forward last night yes, but that is becuase we dont have a Eunan, Alex or Nick in the team this season. The current sqquad has decent league 2 players but it lacks a bit of quality that can make something sspecial happen. Most teams in this league do not have 11 fantastic players, they have 1 or 2 creative players who can open things up, we dont have that and thats the difference in my opinion.

Anyway, aint going to be mid table mediocrity as we all thought is it, but heh it never is with us so we are all used to it eh :)
TUST MEMBER
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

things can't get worse so let's give him a chance!
The gulls are going up
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Will be able to sing "One Knill to the Torquay boys "even when we're losing !
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

How is it going to work then? Will Alan Knill take on Martin Ling's roll? Will Shaun go back to doing what he did before Martin got ill?
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Neal wrote:Welcome Alan Knill, wish you all the best for this difficult task.

One thing I ask is. Dont go on reputaions, make your own mind up in the next few days who YOU think deserves a start in the next match.

This league this year is very tight, there is not alot bewteen top and bottom. We are a functional unit, defensively setup with very little creativity. Given this and a complete lack of confidence, witnessed last night as many times players took the easy / safe option. One exception Daniel Leadbitter.

Whatever is said on here, these are not a bunch of useless players, we were useless going forward last night yes, but that is becuase we dont have a Eunan, Alex or Nick in the team this season. The current sqquad has decent league 2 players but it lacks a bit of quality that can make something sspecial happen. Most teams in this league do not have 11 fantastic players, they have 1 or 2 creative players who can open things up, we dont have that and thats the difference in my opinion.

Anyway, aint going to be mid table mediocrity as we all thought is it, but heh it never is with us so we are all used to it eh :)

Yes, but we do have a Nathan Craig.....oh yeah, he was dropped last night :'( and when he does play it's as a winger :-/
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."