The sooner we get a coach in the better...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

snippets from wikipedia- ian atkins.

Teams managed
1990–1991
Colchester United[3]
1992–1993
Cambridge United[3]
1993–1994
Doncaster Rovers
1994–1999
Northampton Town
Chester City
2000–2001
Carlisle United
2001–2004
Oxford United
2004–2005
Bristol Rovers
Torquay United

2012-
Sporting Fingal AFC

He has managed eight Football League sides, winning promotion with one of them: Northampton Town. He now is manager of Sporting Fingal AFC.
Atkins was at Bristol Rovers for just over a year, and he was sacked after a disappointing start to the 2005–06 season. He returned to management in April 2006 when he was handed the seemingly impossible task of keeping Torquay United in The Football League,[9] having joined the club as an advisor to John Cornforth the previous month.[10] However, a run of four straight wins and a draw on the last day of the season lifted Torquay out of the relegation zone, and then Atkins was appointed manager for the following season.[11]

However, on 27 November 2006, Atkins was replaced as manager by former Czech World Cup star Luboš Kubík.[12] Atkins was offered the role of Director of Football,[13] but turned it down.[14]

For the 2007-2008 season, Atkins joined Tom Ross on the Birmingham radio station BRMB to co-commentate on Birmingham City matches.

He now works for AFC Sunderland as a recruitment officer (scout).

:scarf:

edit: just found out sporting fingal was dissolved in 2011. unless this is a new incarnation of the club the info above may be false.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
david gravy

Post by david gravy »

If what I have been told tonight is correct the club will be looking for a short term and a long term replacement for the managers position.
Unfortunately Martin Ling will not be in a position to return to the club.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

that is an absolute joke that atkins has become one of footballs forgotten men, he's done a decent job everywhere he's been. We'd neve rhave gone down if he'd stayed in charge, Oxford were always a top 10 side while he was there, he left they went down.

I'd have him back in a heartbeat.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

royalgull wrote:that is an absolute joke that atkins has become one of footballs forgotten men, he's done a decent job everywhere he's been. We'd neve rhave gone down if he'd stayed in charge, Oxford were always a top 10 side while he was there, he left they went down.

I'd have him back in a heartbeat.
While he did a decent job for us, think his time has past.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Ian Atkins is one of those managers I could never quite understand. He came in to several teams and rescued them from almost certain oblivion. HE gets signed for the following season and it became hell to watch. He did the same at Bristol Rovers. and here,. Why does it work for him as a rescue artist and yet when he got the job permenantely he seemed to blow it.
There have been several managers over the years who seemed to do the same. I wish i could put my fingure on it.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Just the man for the job now that we've got no money......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21499926
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

He certainly wouldnt let the players slack and would definatley get them going a game. Shame it wouldn't happen in a month of Sunday's.

Curle wouldnt be bad but he doesn't strike me as someone who could get us out of a relegation scrap. Would obviously back whoever comes in.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

david gravy wrote:If what I have been told tonight is correct the club will be looking for a short term and a long term replacement for the managers position.
Unfortunately Martin Ling will not be in a position to return to the club.
Just what have you been told?
Lucy
northyorkshiregull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: benyon

Post by northyorkshiregull »

Are we getting someone here purely till the summer and no longer and then still having a new manager after that?May be there is someone out there that would be happy for such a short term deal
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I can imagine that is one of the problems we are facing. How do we or can attract a manager who will take it on for a limited period who will be happy to be made redundant in the summer and maybe not have too much of a chance getting the permenant post. Most would want a full time position in this day and time. And if we are lucky enough to find anyone. would they be good enough to keep us up. And how much flack will they get from you lot if they appoint a guy who fails. even if he was the only guy left this side of Outer Mongolia or Udin Thanis. wherever that is.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

Glostergull wrote:I can imagine that is one of the problems we are facing. How do we or can attract a manager who will take it on for a limited period who will be happy to be made redundant in the summer and maybe not have too much of a chance getting the permenant post. Most would want a full time position in this day and time. And if we are lucky enough to find anyone. would they be good enough to keep us up. And how much flack will they get from you lot if they appoint a guy who fails. even if he was the only guy left this side of Outer Mongolia or Udin Thanis. wherever that is.
:lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udon_Thani
TUST No 278
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

phil brown was on the radio this morning saying about his frustration at the lack of managerial oppotunities he has had in recent times.
he hasnt got too bad a record. would he be worth a punt?

:scarf:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

As long as he doesn't decide team talks on the pitch is the way to improve morale, that's fine!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

time to get 'football troubleshooter' Ron Atkinson in.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I was pleasantly surprised in the Exeter game when Taylor took off Bodin in the 75th minute and replaced him with Macklin. A positive move I thought, I'm sure if that was Dinger it would have been Easton or Cruise coming on the 'shore things up'.
I thought maybe that was a sign of things to come under Taylor. A more positive outlook on things. Sadly it seems with each game that passes he shrinks further back in to his shell. Despite the quote about Dinger telling him to be his own man and make his own decisions each games just gets more dull, boring and predictable. :(

I do like Taylor as a man and I'm sure he is a good coach but he just doesn't have the tactical nous, the technical ideas , the managerial ability to do the job.
I really hope we do get a temporary manager in to take charge of the team and not just the 'soundboard' that has been mooted in some quarters.

As I mentioned in the other thread. I want Brian Little!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084