Chester

General chat about anything else goes here.
holsten
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Chester

Post by holsten »

Always give an annual mention for Chester on the board as that's where half of my roots lie.

After the reformation of Chester (now Chester FC not Chester City FC), the club have climbed the lower leagues after two consecutive promotions.
Northern Division 1 Champions 2010/2011
Northern Premier League Champions 2011/2012
CONFERENCE NORTH 2012/2013

Chester fans have an obvious reason to be happy; good crowds, WINNING games no matter what division they're in and a well-run club by Chester fans and Chester fans only. The way most of the fans see it is that if Chester City FC HADN'T gone bust in 2010 under the ownership of the corrupt previous chairman Mr. Vaughan, they'd have been innevitabely relegated to the BSN in 2010 for the upcoming 2010/11 season. Had they 'survived', they'd have to face boycotting crowds of 400 fans and the millions of pounds worth of debt ran up by the old club.

It's fair to say for all Chester fans and football fans alike that the club are in a much stronger position now, albeit a few seasons later, and it won't be long before a well-known ex-Football League club makes it's return. They're into the FA Cup 3QR tomorrow against FC Halifax Town (another reformed club) and are flying in the league.

Good luck Chester, a genuinely decent club on my previous visits with a passionate band of supporters.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Been to Chester loads of times, a beautiful Roman city only spoiled by it's proximity to Liverpool. I like the place and hope Chester can return as a football league club soon. I have the same affinity and similar story about a club also in an identical situation. Nico's ex club Scarborough, now known as Scarborough Athletic FC after being reformed in 2005. The Seadogs are 3 points behind east coast rivals Bridlington Town in 2nd place of the Northern Counties East League and are themselves seeking a football league return soon. I pass the old McCain Stadium on my regular visits to Scabby and it is sad to see it in such a state of decay. The stands have gone and the pitch is just wild grass. I believe it is prime housing development land. Scarborough holds many happy memories for me and my family and to see them go under was heartbreaking, the old seadogs will be back soon though with true Yorkshire grit and determination.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

austrianandygull wrote:Been to Chester loads of times, a beautiful Roman city only spoiled by it's proximity to Liverpool. I like the place and hope Chester can return as a football league club soon. I have the same affinity and similar story about a club also in an identical situation. Nico's ex club Scarborough, now known as Scarborough Athletic FC after being reformed in 2005. The Seadogs are 3 points behind east coast rivals Bridlington Town in 2nd place of the Northern Counties East League and are themselves seeking a football league return soon. I pass the old McCain Stadium on my regular visits to Scabby and it is sad to see it in such a state of decay. The stands have gone and the pitch is just wild grass. I believe it is prime housing development land. Scarborough holds many happy memories for me and my family and to see them go under was heartbreaking, the old seadogs will be back soon though with true Yorkshire grit and determination.
Nought wrong with Liverpool matey. Have you Not been Liverpool One. If its the club you hate, fair enough, but if think the city is a dump then shame on you.
Lucy
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Going to need some evidence at some stage.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

:lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I worry a little at some of these clubs climbing back into the league. If you saw any reports about last Saturdays match against FC Halifax there was serious crowd violence and it stopped the match for a while.
A report is going to FA headquarters from the Ref and Others. There is to be an enquiry. It will no doubt come down hard on one of not both teams.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I can't say I've got any particular affinity with either of the big two reformed clubs in the north.

Having lived in Chester, I can say its the only ground I've ever been to when I've been offered out for a fight by the home fans for going into the home stand. I went along to watch their at the time top of the table clash with Hereford, and the game was a sell out. As I was on the queue it was apparantly my fault that season ticket holders couldn't get in. My response - if they want to see the big games they should get there early just like the rest of us. Some plastic scousers didn't agree......

Also, went to Halifax numerous times when I was at uni. Spent one game behind a group of lads who spent the whole game making monkey noises and spouting off a whole load of racist vitriol at the oppositions black players (irrespective of the fact that Halifax had two black players themselves). Nobody in the crowd even batted an eyelid. I never bothered going back after that.

It also grates on me to a degree that both these clubs (and you can throw in Telford, Nuneaton, Farnborough to this as well) went out of business, but only got demoted 2 or 3 levels. If a club ceases to exist, they should start right at the bottom playing on roped off park pitches and work their way back up. This is why I have the upmost respect for AFC Wimbledon and other clubs that have legitimately risen through the non-league scene.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

What about good ol' Scarborough Jeff?!! You've not mentioned them. :'(
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

In addition, i was at Oakwell a few years ago and sat in the main stand and there were fans just shouting racist abuse and talking about black players in casual conversations in derogatory terms. I couldn't believe it and it appears many small northern towns ( sorry SNW! ) have large elements of uneducated oiks. Chesterfield is ok though, none here. :whistle:

I,ve been to the Deva Stadium, Chester once with a Mansfield Town mate and we went in the away end and had no problems and i also went in the away end at The Shay, Halifax when i followed York and that was a bit intimidating, they had a few knuckledraggers knocking about. Halifax is one of those places that is grim in the sunshine as is most of West Yorkshire. Bradford, Leeds, Huddersfield, Osset, Otley, Dewsbury my God the list of depression just goes on and on. Maybe i should apply for a job at the Yorkshire Tourist Board. :O
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Now that would be a sight. You working at the tourist board. Now just what would your pitch be trying to sell the delights of Bradford, Dewsbury, Leeds, Osset, Otley, Uddersfield, Halifax. Cleckheaton, Brighouse, Wakefield, Batley etc. The whole area seems to have been a dumping ground for all that is wrong in Britain. Mind you Luton ain't much to shout about either.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Huddersfield I'd be quite happy to defend as I lived there for 5 years. The likes of Dewsbury, Batley, Bradford etc are indefensible. Although I did enjoy how cheap life was up there.

As for Scarborough Andy, I didn't mention them as I've never been but they are a club (or clubs as they are now!) who have had a turbulent existence, and I'd like to see them get back up into the national leagues. Until their ground issues are resolved though, that won't be happening.