Are any of these still sung? / what is the problem?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Are any of these still sung? / what is the problem?

Post by madgull »

Now, I may get some of the words wrong, bear in mind it's been almost ten years since I was anything approaching a 'regular' on the pop side, but I've seen a lot of posts regarding the fact that we don't seem to have many songs in our repertoire, I was just wondering if any of these are sung any more...

Oh Devonshire is wonderful (the call and response, usually followed into Oh Exeter is full of s**t) (saints go marching in tune)

Oh we hate Argyle, we hate Argyle

Build a bonfire (city on top, Argyle in middle)

Show me the starfish (of course, as I haven't seen the starfish inflatable in years, I'm a bit doubtful this one is still around)

One man went to war with City

We all follow the Torquay (Land of Hope and Glory tune)

Westcountry la la la

E-I-E-I-O Up the football league we go

Hello! Hello! We are the Torquay boys

Dirty northern bastards

Northerrrrrn scum, northern scum

Get into em (f**k em up)

Coooomeee oooon yooouu yellloowwsss (used to be EVERY corner or advanced throw-in)

and it's Torquay United, Torquay United FC

Apart from the starfish (oh the days, anyone remember when this was roughly? From memory I think it was around the time of Eifion Williams, Alex Watson and David Healy and that godawful 5-3-2 Wes Saunders had us playing) most of these songs are pretty timeless, SOOOOOOO is it a case of the songs being forgotten without new ones being brought in, or is it that nobody seems to want to start the chants?
Callumtufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Billy bodin

Post by Callumtufc »

Every single one you've mentioned apart from the starfish one whatever that is :) is still sung not as many people
Join in but they are still sung
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Never heard "one man went to war with city".
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Rach
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Rach »

Oh Devonshire is wonderful (the call and response, usually followed into Oh Exeter is full of s**t) (saints go marching in tune)

We all follow the Torquay (Land of Hope and Glory tune)

Westcountry la la la

E-I-E-I-O Up the football league we go

Dirty northern b*****d

Northerrrrrn scum, northern scum

Get into em (f**k em up)

Coooomeee oooon yooouu yellloowwsss (used to be EVERY corner or advanced throw-in)

and it's Torquay United, Torquay United FC

these are still sung, obviously more frequently at away games though
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

All sung bar the starfish one and the city one. We never seem to sing 'have you ever seen a beach' anymore and i've got to admit we don't have too many songs in our repertoire. Singing Yellow Army all the time can get a bit repetetive. What about the 'when i was just a little boy i asked my grandad what will i be? Will i be torquay? Will i be Greek? Here's what he said to me. Wash yer mouth out son and go get your father's gun, and shoot the grecian scum shoot the grecian scum!'. That could work.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Have you ever seen a beach is sung more at away games now.

I hate the "Fetch your father's gun" chant, but do like the "Build a Bonfire" chant instead.

Starfish chant is normally sung when a lovely lady walks past the terrace.

One man went to war chant hasn't been sung in years, it is almost as dead as the "Good Bye Horse" chant, that rattles around in a blue moon.

There are some great new chants ripped off the European clubs, but good fun to sing along too