It Sucks!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
northharrowgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

It Sucks!

Post by northharrowgull »

Eunan to shi*e Crawley for £175 000 but Nick powell to man utd for £3million?????
Something very wrong in the state of Denmark???
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

...and in England !
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Yeah, this is definitely worth it's own thread...

:lock:

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Think thier is no doubt we all agree to lose Eunan for £175k would suck, however and not having a go at you Northharrow, or anyone else, what I really don't get is this constant comparison with Nick Powell.

Surely we we must understand thier is a massive difference between the two players in question, Powell is 18 years old for a start, naturally athletic and a genuine finisher, Powell does have a real geniue potential to go right to the top, not saying he will of course.

The important thing with Eunan, early July he will be 22 years old, has only just completed his first full season of senior football, over the last few weeks of the season showed possible signs of burn out, as his performances by his own high standards were way of the mark, which puts a question mark over Eunan's overall athletism, which is important higher up the leagues you go .

Don't get me wrong Eunan is a very talented young player, however the jury is still very much out as to whehter he will either make or rise above Championship level.

Eunan O'Kane is not in the same league as Nick Powell and was never going to be worth anything like the same, thats not me being harsh, just honest.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

No, of course not Dave, and no one in their right mind is arguing against what you say, but what irks people (well, me) is that it seems that we seem to have the attitude that it somehow our duty to let players go for next to nothing because we are 'little old Torquay', whereas other clubs at our level and even below learned to play hardball (if we MUST use a turgid Americanism) many moons ago. We must learn to realise that we are in a position of strength when it comes to player sales because we have something that only we have (the player in question), but there are an infinite number of clubs out there who have what we want (cash), so the deal will be structured to suit us, not the buyer.

We are facing this very situation with Bodin (just to keep a neat symmetry), there is only one Billy Bodin, but probably 20 clubs with money who want him, so his price will undoubtedly go through the roof and way, way over our heads. If no one will meet Di Canio's crazy valuation (quarter of a million?) then he will just keep Bodin.

And before anyone (Dave) tells us all that there is not really a bidding war for Eunan, then let me tell you all that that is fine. For me, I want ZERO clubs bidding for Eunan, what's the worst that will happen? We get to keep the best midfielder in L2 for another season, some bloody hardship.

Given our trouble in getting players and the situation we are in (that is, and thank God for it, being a club run properly), £175,000 won't even come close to being enough to replace Eunan with equal or greater quality, even cumulatively over two or three players, so, if he goes for that sum, we will, all else being equal, be a slightly less good team next season, and that is definitely NOT how transfers are supposed to work.

Matt.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Totaly agree Matt, just trying with my own brand of grammar, and spelling :) to put up an argument agianst this constant comparison of Powell to O'kane, it's about he 4th time I have seen it wriiten,may be taking the wrong way,but it appears to be some critism against the club, if Crewe can get millions for Powell why are we letting O'Kane go on the cheap.

My answer is clear they are 2 completely different players, and another very good reason is a club like Man.u wanted Powell, if say Cardiff were the only club who wanted Powell , Crewe would have not been offered anything like that sort of money, and would have been faced with a decision to sell or not.

Just seems to me we as fans are starting to look at every single transfer made our club, and we trying to find as many reasons to beat on club for letting each player go on the cheap, remember not so long ago our club sold a young keeper to Palace called Matt Gregg for £400k so it's not all bad and our club can do it, sadly that was 1998 and those sorts of fee's are no longer paid at every whim.
northharrowgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northharrowgull »

My intention in placing this post ( and I'm sorry but I didnt realise I would offend the posting calibre police) is to draw attention not to how little we may get for Eunan O'Kane but the seemingly huge difference between the value of the two players which I believe is far in excess of their relative merits.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

posting calibre police.. :) Like that, don't see where anyone has personaly critised you for your post, can't see where anyone is offended either.

Your entitled to express your opinion, others have the right to dissargee, I don't think you can even begin to compare the two players for the reasons expressed above, a better comparison would be a midfielder of the same experience/age as Eunan.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Gullscorer wrote:"It sucks!" I hate these American expressions! :@
Douchebag! :~D
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Stop ruining our language! :@
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

Certainly in touch with the Zeitgeist!
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

northharrowgull wrote:My intention in placing this post ( and I'm sorry but I didnt realise I would offend the posting calibre police) is to draw attention not to how little we may get for Eunan O'Kane but the seemingly huge difference between the value of the two players which I believe is far in excess of their relative merits.
If only we had two other perfectly good threads in which your OP could have gone. It was hardly a ground breaking thought as it was.

Matt.