Looking ahead to next season

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Looking ahead to next season

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Who would you like to see stay? This last month has clearly shown that we need more bodies in the squad.

Olejnik - Would be great to see Bobby stay on. Moved to the area and seems to like the club so I'm hopeful he will, for another year or two anyway.

Oastler - Keep. He's made the RB position his own this year, and he's been excellent for the majority. Another year like he's had and higher league clubs will be interested, I reckon.
Saah - He's done excellently since Robbo left, much improved after a shaky start.
Ellis - Hope he signs a new deal, but if we don't go up I'll be surprised if he's still here next year.
Nicholson - Keep. He loves the club, can't see him going anywhere.

Lathrope - Looks like he wants to sign, which is good. Had a brilliant year.
Mansell - See Nicho.
O'Kane - Be very surprised and happy if he is here in August! Would love him to be but I do think it'll depend if we can turn this tie around and go up!

Morris - Good enough, doesn't really fit into the system though.
Stevens - Is he under contract? I'd keep him if he is (unless a decent bid comes in), but he should only be kept as cover, IMO.

Howe - Keep. The big man has been outstanding all year, but his injury is playing up big time. Don't risk it on Thursday and get him in for his op ASAP.

-----

Rice - Back up, cheap wages. No problem for me and he seems to enjoy working with Bobby and Kenny Veysey.
Leadbitter - Keep. Cheap wages I'd guess, versatile and young.
McPhee - Release. Not good enough, IMO.
Atieno - See McPhee.
Rowe Turner - Wants to go, if I read Ling's comments correctly from a while back. No big loss, for me.
Macklin - Release.
Craig - Keep. Looks to be a good prospect.
Halpin - Keep on for one more year. If he doesn't make an impact then release.
Yeoman - See Halpin.
Palmer - See Halpin & Yeoman.

That's my opinion. Our starting line up is a good one for this level, but after that it's poor.

I think we need a CM cover (Easton), aswell as two new wingers (Bodin + another?), and a striker or two, for next year.

Obviously should Ellis or Lathrope move on, then they'll need replacing too.

I know our season isn't over yet as 2-0 is catchable, but we were talking about this on the journey home so I thought I'd post!!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

McPhee and Leadbitter are both under contract, so unfortunately we will be seeing them again next season.

For me, Halpin, Macklin, Yeoman and Palmer should go. None are showing anything like the standard required for first team football. If they were good enough, they'd be playing already. Get rid of all of them, and use the spare "capacity" to bring in 2 player who realistically could challenge the first team. It would leave us short on numbers, but if we got in any sort of a crisis we'd dip into the loan market.

LRT I'd like to see stay, but looks likely he's gone. If it hadn't have been for the renaissance of Nico he'd be a regular.

Taiwo I'm undecided on. Ultimately good enough, no. But seeing as the world and his dog knows we play 4-5-1 centred on big Rene, so no regular L2 standard player would come here to sit on the bench. Tai does that job and can come on and nab the odd goal.

If Ellis was to leave, which is plausible, we could do a lot worse than get young Angus McDonald back on a season long loan. He was a bit shaky at Hereford, but outstanding at Crawley.

Hopefully we can get Easton in as midfield general cover. Other must-signs for me are two out-and-out wide forwards - a left and a right sider who can take a man on. Billy Bodin and a right footed equivalent please. Would also maybe like to see another forward to give us the option of going 4-4-2, but it presents the same problem as Taiwo stated above. Maybe take a punt on a PL reserve throw-out?
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i dont care, i trust st martin to assemble a squad to do as well if not better than this season

he can get rid of all buckles signings if he wants, if players he brings in are in brian saahs class then we'll be up challenging once again

however i would like to see a bit of good old 442 from time to time please!!
still keeping the faith
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

The biggest point that can't be missed here is the player budget, can't see it being increased by much if at all, our club must live with in it's means, we finish 16th in the attendance league table with an average home gate below 3,000 for the season, here lie's a massive problem.

Unless one or two up and leave can't see the incomings we would like to see, the players listed below the line highlight's a problem, there has been a need for some rotation, to freshen things up, don't think O'kane or lathrope have played this number of games in any one season,in their entire careers and it's been showing of late as both look spent, and it's been a while since Rene Howe has completed a full season of first team competative football, so to keep him fit through out was allways going to be a big ask.

Not sure whether Halpin, Macklin or Yoeman are under contract for next season,if not and we are not going to use them, then get rid, if their not good enough then they are deadwood, make room for a couple of players who can compete and give a real option to rotate the squad.

Our youth system needs looking at, having a youth system is vital and it should kept, however I feel our's needs a real overhaul, we are nicking players from Cornwall. Plymouth, North Devon even up into Taunton, yet as a club we are producing nothing from it, and I feel it's because we are taking on players wholesale into our centre of exellence and then dumpimg a far to high % of them a year later.

Out of all the players we could lose only one concerns me, Bobby.O, a good keeper at our level is priceless, they are few and far between he would very hard to replace.

Mark Ellis, I love the spirit he plays with, he plays with guts and wears his heart on his sleeve, thats why he's popular amongst the fan's, but as an all round defender he is not so good he can't be replaced, Saah may not be able to head the ball for miles like Ellis, however all round he is a better defender, if Mark goes , and to be honest I do not think he will, another saah and job done.

I don't know what to think about Eunan, I have no contacts, and if I had £1 for every rumour I've heard would be a rich man, his performances of late have been poor by his own standards, it's possible he is jaded, only Eunan himself knows the real answer, just ahunch, I think he will still be aTUFC player next season, however if not he will comand a fee,and no it will not be anywhere near the level some think, bot sizable enough for the club to come up with a decent replacement, Nathan Craig could be someone to fill that role, could need a bit time however.

Think our chance has gone for this season, however looking at next a few tweaks in the right places and us fan's could be in for another enjoyable season, the question is , can the club afford those tweaks.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

If we sign no one else, we MUST sign a proper goal scorer. Not a has been, not a journeyman nobody, but a 25 goal a season striker. With one of those (imagine the goals McLeod would have got for us, for example), given our abject lack of goals and final position, it's not a stretch at all to suggest we could have won the title had we had such a player in the side. If Eunan has to go to find that, then so be it.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

ferrarilover wrote:If we sign no one else, we MUST sign a proper goal scorer. Not a has been, not a journeyman nobody, but a 25 goal a season striker. With one of those (imagine the goals McLeod would have got for us, for example), given our abject lack of goals and final position, it's not a stretch at all to suggest we could have won the title had we had such a player in the side. If Eunan has to go to find that, then so be it.

Matt.
Very tough to do as generally they will cost big money either in fees or wages, as well as if any are knocking about then the bigger clubs in the league will hoover them up.

Not going to name names in the squad because a) unfair at this stage and b) I don't know their contract situations but there are 5 or 6 we need to move on if at all possible IF we want to be a better League 2 side. This is hard to write because we havent' failed thiss eason, we aren't totally crap but if we want to be better then the fringe players this year need to go.

Then we need to try and keep the majority of our best players. Ellis is a worry because he's out of contract, there will be interest in Eunan and I'd be amazed if nobody has looked at Olejnik as well.

Then we need to try and improve our team and the first and foremost thing we need more of is pace throughout the side. Especially out wide, I'd like another quicker more natural right back, at least 2 wingers. Then we need 2 new strikers along with Howe.

If everyone who I wanted stayed I make it 5 new players be it loans or permanents. probably easier said than done and all depends on budget constraints. We could probably get away with 4.
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

I'd agree with the OP with regards to keeping all of first team, ditching out of contract reserves, but would also be happy to see the youth players let go as they seem to have been around a while without making any sort of impact, would be just as well to look at some fresh blood, hopefully see a bit of hunger and uncover a new gem.

However I would imagine Ellis, O'Kane and maybe Bobby and Howe might leave, meaning we need to fill their positions before doing anything else. As Matt said, a goalscorer would help a promotion bid no end, but if we did keep Howe and played them together, or wanted to switch to 4-4-2 on occassion I think we need at least one winger, as only really Danny can play that role in our current first 11.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Yeah Matt, unfortunately theres 23 other teams in the division looking for those 25-goal forwards too!

Royal, I too was unsure on contract situations of certain players, but I do agree that we should try and move on some of our current fringe players and bring in some replacements.

If we turn it around, you'd expect the budget will be increased a bit, if we don't, would it be right to expect the budget to be increased slightly anyway due to slightly higher attendances and the amount of big games?

If we could line up with a starting 11 like this next year, I'd fancy another very good season;

Olejnik

Oastler - Saah - Ellis - Nicho

Lathrope

Manse - O'Kane

2 new wingers

Howe

I agree about needing more pace in the lineup as that has been a problem in our set up this season, we break away so slowly it is often ineffective. I worry Cheltenham will play the 4-5-1 formation on Thursday but with McGlashan and Mohammad, they will be able to counter attack in devastating fashion.

I do see where you're coming from regarding getting rid of the youth, I just thought with the FL reverting back to 7 subs they'd get more of a chance next year. Hmm.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

I'd be all for giving our youth more opportunities if they were good enough but the harsh reality is they just aren't. I'm for the 7 subs instead of 5 I don't know why they changed it back but I still want players to earn a place on the bench and not just get a token free pass to it. It's still an important place to be and they still have a role to play, yesterday being the prime example. If we had Goulding and Duffy on our bench, they'd both have been on after an hour and may have changed the game.

The thing is I don't think our budget will change to much being in LEague 1 rather than League 2. Slightly higher attendances and big games again I don't know if we will over the course of the season. There is still an excellent chance Sheff Utd or Huddersfield will go up, so that's one big away support gone along with the likes of Sheff Wed, Charlton and Exeter all going in other directions. Yeovil would be a big crowd, Swindon, Bournemouth, Portsmouth and possibly Coventry but then you're struggling. Then you get Tranmere, Oldham, Hartlepool, Bury, Stevenage, Doncaster, Scunthorpe, Carlisle. Massive trips with traditionally not that big support, especially if they are struggling.

In League 2 next year, Exeter, Argyle, Oxford, poss Luton, Bristol Rovers would all be potential full houses. Could have Cheltenham still in it, Gillingham, poss Southend, Wycombe, Aldershot, Wimbledon, Northampton. It's a much more Southern based division and I actually think over the course of the season our gate income would probably be larger in L2, I am certain we'll get more sellouts or close to sellouts in L2. Also factor in the likes of Rotherham who will do well next year so will bring more than usual, Bradford who usually bring a half decent following, Chesterfield as well and these northern clubs will bring no more or less than your Tranmere's and Oldhams etc.

Got to be honest it's why i'm not overly bothered if we don't go up, I want us to go up for the sense of achievement and satisfaction of winning and going to wembley and all that jazz but I wouldn't mind if we started again in L2 the next season!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Yeh, I wasn't really talking about increased attendances really for L1, as theres more chance of getting bigger gates in L2 next year, as you say. It would be really nice to have gone up, especially after being in the position we were going into the Oxford game on Easter Monday (I still point to O'Kane's disallowed goal being the turning point of our season). We have built on last year, and we will be even better prepared off the pitch next season with Bristows Bench, so we could finally go one better.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Totaly spot on Ian (royalgull) thier is not shadow of doubt our average home attandances will be higher if we are league 2 next season, apart from a couple of the bigger clubs away support in many cases in league 1 are lower than league 2, Cholchester for instance have a lower average away support than us.

Wednesday and charlton have already gone, utd or Huddersfield are likey to go with them, and Portsmouth could still fold, as said it's likey that Aldershot will bring more than oldham and Tranmere will, Rovers-Exeter and Plymouth will sell their allocations out.

Tried to bring the message in my first reply,it is very unlikey that we will see a real term increase in the player budget, that must sink in surely, regardless of what league we are in, any player under contract whether they are fringe or first unless an argeeable fee is received will be at the club next season.

We talk about a 25 goal striker and 2 new wingers, I totaly agree with that, add that to our current squad and we win the league, it comes down to money,

Any player added to the squad must be better than what you already have, otherwise their is no point, we could go for Billy Bodin, he will cost us at a minimum £100,000 , whoever, whatever wingers better than what we already have will cost more money, as will a striker, that said agree with Matt sell O'kane use the fee if possible is one way to add quailty.

One thing I will say Royal, I dont see Mark Ellis being out of contract as a worry at all, if he does move on we will receive a fee because of his age, and to me their is no doubt Brian saah isa better defender, hopefully lIngy will know the whereabouts of another player of Saah's quailty, and that will give in my opinion a stronger centre back pairing.

Also to pick up on a point above, Rene Howe's has a number of times during this season, he has never felt so settled and at home in his career, I would be beyond shocked if he went.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Disagree Dave. Ellis has been a rock for 90% of the season, he's still young. I'd love to see him and Damon stay on next year. If we can keep the spine of the team we can look forward to another successful year.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

NickGull wrote:Disagree Dave. Ellis has been a rock for 90% of the season, he's still young. I'd love to see him and Damon stay on next year. If we can keep the spine of the team we can look forward to another successful year.
Thats fine Nick, I , would also like to see mark Ellis stay on, and I am 100% sure he will, he during the course of this season has been at times fantastic for us, but he is mistake ridden, no doubting it, he can be replaced.

Brian Saah since his return to the first team has been flawless, as many seemed to have agreed that with out Saah yesterday we would have gone down by 5 or more.

Could go on for ages , however will not, Ellis is a fan's favourite and can do no wrong, Port Vale home he swiped at a clearence , miss kicked it straight to a Vale player who smashed it passed Bobby, might be a bit harsh here think Hereford 3rd goal was down to him , and their is no doubt in my mind Cheltenham's second goal was down to Ellis, he came flying 30 yrds out of defense to cleara ball that was not his to clear, mansell was their and would have dealt with it, Ellis didn't make it,the ball was crossed into our box, and Cheltenham player had an easy free header, why? because Ellis was now out of position

And he does that alot, he at times is to gung ho, just needs to hold his position at times, must say when it comes to adefensive header, he is the best in the league.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Ellis has the raw skills to be a very good centre back, at the moment he's a very good League 2 player and there will be interest in him because he's a good age and has 100 games under his belt or near enough I'd imagine. Championship clubs quite often hoover up players like Ellis then send them out on loan again, (it's what makes a mockery of the system to be honest) and I could definitely see Ellis going to some midtable Championship club like Derby or Ipswich and be one of those. He'd be a loss but I agree with you Dave not irreplaceable and I also agree Saah is the better of the two.

Ideally I'd keep Ellis because we need as little change as possible really, need to try and build a team around the good players we have and not dismantle it. We've got the core of a very good LEague 2 side it just needs tuning and improving out wide and up top.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

If we don't go up I think we'll lose these players against our will:
Olejnik - He must know he's too good for League Two and can get more money elsewhere. After watching Marton Fulop do those 3 howlers for West Brom yesterday he must think he has it in him to be a Prem keeper!!
O'Kane - He would have stayed if we had gone up I think but he too is bigger than League Two
Ellis - I think he's still very ambitious and thinks he is better than League Two, even if he isn't quite good enough to move up just yet.
Rowe-Turner - Wants to play football, and I don't think any of us would begrudge him that. Will probably end up at lower League Two club or top-end BSP. Maybe Buckle will get him in? Probably due to his lack of contacts.

I also think Ling will ditch Atieno. There must be something better available for that money. As for the youth players, if we stay down i would say maybe one will be offered terms for the next six months, maybe. If we go up then i think all of them will be ditched. I seem to remember however that Halpin was given some sort of extended deal by Buckle though? I might be making that up but i think he had longer terms than Palmer and Yeoman. Macklin obviously can't apply himself, which is a great shame as I think all of us agree that he had some potential about him.

McPhee will hang around, as his contract isn't up. And to be honest i think he's a handy enough utility player. He's good enough to fill in in a range of positions if someone isn't available.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...