wheres our sniffer?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

wheres our sniffer?

Post by bixieupnorth »

it's been mentioned on several threads that we don't seen to score any goalmouth scrambles these days?

do we think this is true, are we lacking a real goal poacher a la alan Clarke, lineker etc, someone who is always in the right place at the tight time? I gues manse has been the closest this season?

I still don't think we've had a truly great forward line since graham and gritton? several others have come close, benyon in particular was good at feeding if scraps. hoping that we can keep Ryan Jarvis as there's def some great potential from what I've seen and heard.

thoughts?
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

ps posted from iPhone hence the spelling mistakes! it really is a crap piece of software, I can't wait to get back to android and a sensible user adjustable dictionary! the number of times I've sent texts to my Nate! Nate I ask you, why does it choose that not mate, I'm not **** Amish, I don't know any Nates! grrr!
still keeping the faith
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

Bixie
I'm not f**king Amish, I don't know any Nates! Grrr!
:rofl:

Cheers for that!

Bruce (who is sure he must have Amish blood somewhere if his record for keeping up to date with technology is anything to go by)
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

Oh, and was glad to see the mention of ol' 'Sniffer' Clarke, one of my heroes as a lad!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
popside_yidlad
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by popside_yidlad »

Jarvis is DEF a sniffer and in my opinion should be given a chance through the middle as he is our only striker thats first thought is to get into the box. I would be interested in seeing him and rene as a partnership. Might lack bit of pace but would certainly be a powerful pairing
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

popside_yidlad wrote:Jarvis is DEF a sniffer and in my opinion should be given a chance through the middle as he is our only striker thats first thought is to get into the box. I would be interested in seeing him and rene as a partnership. Might lack bit of pace but would certainly be a powerful pairing
I agree, and would like to think that Jarvis is a player with both sound technique and a knack for being in the right place at the right time.

Rene has been terrific this season, but when the inside forwards (Stevens/Morris) aren't on song, he has it all to do.

To state the obvious, adding a second striker means losing a midfielder. If Eunan were to leave, would enough chances be created by a midfield of Stevens, Mansell, Lathrope, Morris?
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Jarvis looks like he knows where the right place to be is and he gets in those positions. I'm hopeful he can get a decent run out on sunday and freshen things up for us.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Willie Brown or Paul Dobson would do nicely.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Damn
And there's me thinking that Trojan had gone missing! :lol:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
northharrowgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northharrowgull »

Dont get to see too many games but was very impressed by Jarvis on Saturday. He has a good first touch, speed and just 'appeared' at the net for his goal. Could he be our sniffer? Well on that performance I believe he could and perhaps has earned a start against Cheltenham. Of course it depends on the formation ML opts for. Rene is clearly unfit and maybe his lack of practice has contributed to some extra weight. Atieno looked sharp to me and was not afraid to mix it with the Bulls' defence. I would definitely like to see him start
tattooedjackass
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by tattooedjackass »

northharrowgull wrote:Dont get to see too many games but was very impressed by Jarvis on Saturday. He has a good first touch, speed and just 'appeared' at the net for his goal. Could he be our sniffer? Well on that performance I believe he could and perhaps has earned a start against Cheltenham. Of course it depends on the formation ML opts for. Rene is clearly unfit and maybe his lack of practice has contributed to some extra weight. Atieno looked sharp to me and was not afraid to mix it with the Bulls' defence. I would definitely like to see him start
I have Jarvis to score first on sunday at 9/1, i think he should start but im sure it all depends on how Rene's injury is holding out, i say play Jarvis and Tai for at least 70 mins as i think we could get 2 past them then bring Rene on for the remainder of the game, but thats my thoughts!
My Life To Live!
COYY
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

6667GULL wrote:Willie Brown or Paul Dobson would do nicely.

:clap:

Then there's "sniffer" Collins, Northcott, Stubbs, Spratt . . . . :clap: :bow: :clap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Mirror Mirror on the wall, who's the greatest "sniffer" of them all ?

(Jimmy Greaves)

Who said that ! :@ :rofl:

(If "sniffer" had not been injured against France, 'ammer Geoff would not have had his chance)

:engflag: :clap: :bow: :clap: :engflag:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"