Tired Legs

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Tired Legs

Post by Gulliball »

I've heard this mentioned a few times recently, and we have a very settled line up, but when you look at the stats then they really are incredible.

We've only had 13 outfield players who have more than 6 starts for us this season (McPhee is the 14th on 6 starts). Two of those (Robertson and Bodin) have left the club, so we only have 11 outfield players at the club who have played more than a handful of games this season.

Further to this we have 11 players (includes Bobby in goal) who have started at least 30 (out of 43) games, and five of our team have started at least 42 out of 43 - this is before including substitute appearances too.

In comparison Crawley have 26 players who have started 6 or more games, so twice as many, and only 4 players have played more than 30 times, with no-one over 37 appearances.

That really is quite phenomenal, to have a squad of 14 players (McPhee is 15th and doesn't make the bench with everyone fit, because Rice, Jarvis, LRT and MacDonald do, but have 4 starts between the four of them), and to have maintained a promotion push right into April. There's (hopefully) just 3 more games to go now to hold out.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Yes, i was thinking the same thing myself Gulliball. To have sustained a promotion bid with such a small squad and one limited in quality is beyond belief ( controversial i know but i feel a few of our players still have work to do to become fully accomplished football league players in terms of quality and decision making. I can't fault their attitude and workrate though, that has been without question for the most part ). It just shows how well Martin has managed the loan market and it is perhaps totally reasonable to expect results and performances to dip towards the end of a long hard season.

Make no bones about it, we have played pretty poorly AND ridden our luck the last 6 or 7 games and still hung on in there but these last three games will show us who can rise to the challenge, dig deep and produce results when it matters. If we win 3 out of 3 then i have no doubt we will be promoted. I want the lads to go out there all guns blazing and take the game to teams rather than hanging on to narrow leads all the time but at this stage of the season wins are the be all and end all.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

just like to add my comment to this subject, im friends with a one of the players father in law and it seems that there has been a nasty cold virus which has gone through the club in the last two weeks and it has effected the whole squad and they have all been playing on with it so i reckon thats why a few of them have looked out of sorts.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Makes sense what with Damon Davy being reported as being ill the other week.

I hope the team get plenty of time off over the next few weeks. Training at this stage of the season should be about making sure the players are rested between games.

If (fingers crossed we don't) we go into the playoffs, that will be another 3 games on top. I know it's been mentioned elsewhere, but I think giving some of the fringe players a run out from the bench (or even starting), may freshen up one or two that are obviously struggling....
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Hmmm, Andy says about playing poorly, but I think performance level is relative according to the stage f the season we are at. In January, our performances from the last few games would have been sub standard. Now, with three games to go, everyone's level has dropped as tiredness and fatigue come in to play, so a lower standard becomes the norm. As we play less and less well, so does everyone else.

For me, no one epitomised the tired legs mantra more than JOastler last weekend. E hasn't become terrible overnight, that much is obvious, but there were a dozen times when he made a total hash of a pass or cross or clearance and that is purely down to tiredness. We've all done it, been having a kick about and realised its time to knock it on the head when you cannot even pass straight anymore.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Unfortunately Matt, that's about 5 minutes into the kickabout for me these days!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

cambgull wrote:Unfortunately Matt, that's about 5 minutes into the kickabout for me these days!
:~D Don't feel too bad, I resist going to do the Pop side v Family stand half time crossbar challenge for fear that my knee won't stand up to three consecutive kicks. :'(

Matt.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Were you on an Injury Lawyers 4 U advert?!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Hahaha, think that is an excellent idea, might pitch it to the club, it'll only be their public liability insurers who pay anyway.

Matt.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

It's reported that Rene Howe believes he can keep on defying a painful injury and lead the Gulls' attack right to the end of the season. Rene did not score against Southend, and apart from the Southend game he has not been playing a full ninety minutes in recent matches. With his injury he may not score in the last three games. Is it worth that risk?

It's understandable for a manager to want to keep a settled team, and it's understandable for a player nursing an injury to want to fight through it to play his part in the team's success. But whether it's tired legs or a pulled ham-string, if it causes the team to fall short of the performance it should be achieving, then there are other players waiting who can and should come in to do the job. Otherwise what are they there for?

I've no doubt Martin Ling knows his job and will make the right decisions. And results may not turn out differently whatever the team selection. But an injured player on the pitch thinking he can play his normal game is not good for my nerves.. 8-o
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

ferrarilover wrote: :~D Don't feel too bad, I resist going to do the Pop side v Family stand half time crossbar challenge for fear that my knee won't stand up to three consecutive kicks. :'(

Matt.
Oh come on Matt. We didn't say we would kick you on the knees. we said it would be higher!
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Gullscorer wrote:It's reported that Rene Howe believes he can keep on defying a painful injury and lead the Gulls' attack right to the end of the season. Rene did not score against Southend, and apart from the Southend game he has not been playing a full ninety minutes in recent matches. With his injury he may not score in the last three games. Is it worth that risk?

It's understandable for a manager to want to keep a settled team, and it's understandable for a player nursing an injury to want to fight through it to play his part in the team's success. But whether it's tired legs or a pulled ham-string, if it causes the team to fall short of the performance it should be achieving, then there are other players waiting who can and should come in to do the job. Otherwise what are they there for?

I've no doubt Martin Ling knows his job and will make the right decisions. And results may not turn out differently whatever the team selection. But an injured player on the pitch thinking he can play his normal game is not good for my nerves.. 8-o

Based on his performance against Southend he should continue playing. Playing with injury is part of being professional sportsman. He'll just focus on preparation, playing and recovery supported by the staff.
TUST number 080
gulltom
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by gulltom »

Judging from twitter it appears that the first team stalwarts are doing much training at the moment. From the past two days Manse and Nicho have been in Exeter at 10am and lots of the others are playing lots of golf or going to the gym...

Does anyone roughly know what the usual training routine is?

If this is the case then I think its a very smart move... players don't really need to train much at this stage of the season and this will hopefully shine through when we play the wombles on Saturday