Play Off guaranteed ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SkyBlueGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Play Off guaranteed ?

Post by SkyBlueGull »

By my maths - after todays results - unless Crewe can make up 12 goals we have will have achieved a minimum play off finish.

( Crewe 15 points behind us with 5 games to play)

One more point from the next 5 games will make it a certainty.

What a fantastic achievement - I dont think anyone thought we would repeat last seasons feat with the loss of manager and key players and all the noises about a season of consolidation.

Whats even better is that automatic promotion is now in our hands and not reliant on anyone else.

Absolutley fandabedozeee

:scarf:
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Not quite. If they won 5 and we lost 5 the likelihood is that the 12 goal difference would be overcome.

But on current form I don’t see why we can’t win the next 5 by 1-0 and secure automatic promotion on 93 points.

Thus the Ling Dynasty would be made real...
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

With 78 pts don't think maths come into it, the team will be worse case in the play-off's, however rather not think about that...automatic promotion please.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Its not mathematical of course but we all know we're in them if we fail to go up automatically so in that sense YES it is guaranteed.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
northharrowgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northharrowgull »

For some time now I've not really been thinking about the play-offs. we are now guaranteed them. However, I want to concentrate on our battle to get automatic promotion. On paper, our two main rivals, Shrewsbury and the Slime have far easier run-ins but as we all know at the silly end of the season nerves, depleted squads and desperate teams in danger of relegation turn expectations on their heads. My main worry is the injuries to our small squad. With a fully fit team I have little doubt we will do what is necessary, but.......COYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bc-gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Pearce

Post by bc-gull »

northharrowgull wrote:For some time now I've not really been thinking about the play-offs. we are now guaranteed them. However, I want to concentrate on our battle to get automatic promotion. On paper, our two main rivals, Shrewsbury and the Slime have far easier run-ins but as we all know at the silly end of the season nerves, depleted squads and desperate teams in danger of relegation turn expectations on their heads. My main worry is the injuries to our small squad. With a fully fit team I have little doubt we will do what is necessary, but.......COYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Easier run ins? At this time in the season there is no such thing as an easy game!! The teams going fr promotion have pressure to get the results against the teams trying to stay up. The teams trying to stay up fighting for their lives! Then you have the mid table teams that have nothing to play for, yet no pressure and therefore play better!

When you think about it. We have the easiest run in because we have less games!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

bc-gull wrote:

That is a very good point you raise there, Billy. Very astute for someone so young

My Hero ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
bc-gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Pearce

Post by bc-gull »

Southampton Gull wrote:
That is a very good point you raise there, Billy. Very astute for someone so young

My Hero ;-)
Haha!! Thanks SG;-) :lol:
northharrowgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by northharrowgull »

bc-gull mmmmmm... perhaps you should have read my post thoroughly as I believe I made it very clear the easier run ins were on paper only and then gave numerous resons why which was one of the main thrusts of my post but then hey ho ........!!!!!!!!!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

bc-gull wrote: Easier run ins? At this time in the season there is no such thing as an easy game!! The teams going fr promotion have pressure to get the results against the teams trying to stay up. The teams trying to stay up fighting for their lives! Then you have the mid table teams that have nothing to play for, yet no pressure and therefore play better!

Fewer.

And no, not really, I'd rather play Hereford five times than Swindon thrice. To bring some maths to the equation, our run in rates at 58% on the standard Ferrarilover Scale. Shrewsbury's comes in at 44% and Creepy at a lowly 28%.
Accordingly, Crawley's run in is less than half as difficult as ours. However, the Ferrarilover Scale is mathematical, it's 'on paper' and as we all know, football is played on grass.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

As all the teams we play are below us, then why worry??

The others should be worried about how they are going to score against us.

COYY
gasrex
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by gasrex »

If you do go up, I will be sad to be missing out on one of the best away weekends going, but it would certainly be well deserved and I hope you do it. And all achieved without the services of one of the most ambitious young managers in the game :clown:
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Those just outside the play off picture won't win all their games IMO. I know that you never know but once a point is dropped by either Crewe or Gillingham then we have a play off berth. Now here in darkest Oxfordshire the "world famous big banana boys at OUFC" are sweating now as they lost again yesterday and could well lose that last play off spot. As we will be there on Monday lets see if we can take another three points off them. Can't see no reason why not? It's a good time to be a Gull in Oxfordshire at the moment I can tell you ^.^ See you in the Priory for a pint before the game then? Lots going on there too. Anyway, yes play off spot guarenteed barring a meteor striking Plainmoor. :scarf:
Oblivion!!!!
stargull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by stargull »

Ran into a couple of Oxford fans who explained that they were safe, just deliberately taking it easy and coasting into the playoffs (!) and that the important thing from yesterday was that they should have won. The attitude of this three-sided club with its fans who talk as if they have a long history of premier league trophies really winds me up, and I will be delighted if we take three points on Monday.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

stargull wrote:Ran into a couple of Oxford fans who explained that they were safe, just deliberately taking it easy and coasting into the playoffs (!) and that the important thing from yesterday was that they should have won. The attitude of this three-sided club with its fans who talk as if they have a long history of premier league trophies really winds me up, and I will be delighted if we take three points on Monday.
In much the same way some Bristol Rovers fans wind me up..!!

I actually like Oxford (Bristol Rovers too, if I'm honest), especially the pubs and cider (same goes for Bristol), but the important thing about Oxford is that they are safe from relegation, and anything else now is a bonus. Except that come the end of the season I don't think there will be anything else. I have a gut feeling that Torquay will inflict another defeat upon Oxford on Monday, and that Crewe will sneak in and win the play-offs.