Torquay United v Port Vale - 24/3/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Here's one of my videos from today's game! :)

[youtube]y9V9TffbRUY[/youtube]
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Delighted with that comeback.. good for Jarvis to get a goal, best he's been since he arrived I thought. Stevens looks a totally different player since his ankle injury at Crawley - unfortunately not in a good way.. :(
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

SUPER RENE HOWE!

[youtube]g5DShASTTj4[/youtube]
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Here is my 3rd and final video that I took today :)

[youtube]c67h27mssVc[/youtube]
Last edited by Louis on 25 Mar 2012, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected video code
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

An excellent result today, to beat a very decent Port Vale side who are always difficult to beat.
They certainly shaded the 1st half and in Anthony Griffith, their no.4, they probably had one of the best players on the pitch. He played a similar role to Lathrope's. But we played very well 2nd half.

I felt in the first half that Stevens was poor and that also Ellis did not have his best game. However, I am disappointed to hear of people abusing Morris and I disagree with those who said he was poor. He played well. Think some must have been watching a different game.

He is part of a squad that is 2nd. How thick are some fans when abusing our own players who are performing week in and out at such a level of over-achievement? We were playing today against a bloody good team, so it was never going to be a stroll in the park. For the ill-witted dumbasses to start turning against our own players when we are 7 games from the end of the season is just so mindnumbingly stupid.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Dave_Pougher wrote:Can we be Devons top team next year ?

Yes we can !

That's the worst Bob the Builder take I've ever heard. Shocking.

Don't give up yer day job. :lol:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

good morning all,was at wedding yesterday,just watched the goals on footy league show,a great win for the boys,reading your posts they were the better team 1st half,lingy must of worked his magic at half time,much improved in the 2nd half.......a great season,long may it continue
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Guts and determination to come back from a goal down and secure 3 of those 13 points required for auto promotion. Well done the lads!!!! I am daring to dream of finishing in that top 3 now. Great result on a day when other results went for us and it's better looking down than looking up I say :clap: :clap: :clap: Oxford and Cheltenham drew as well leaving the U's looking nervously over their shoulders. It's all on Jack FM (Oxford this morning). :) And its sunshine all the way outside as well!!!!!!
Oblivion!!!!
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Torquay came from behind to win a match for the first time this season, and in doing so bounced back from their disappointing defeat at league leaders Swindon on Tuesday night. As the amount of games left gets fewer, Torquay continue to grind out results to leave them sitting pretty in second place and continuing their excellent chance of automatic promotion.

At a warm and sunny Plainmoor Torquay lined up in their 4-5-1 formation, Danny Stevens and Damon Lathrope having shrugged off minor injuries to play. Port Vale, in White, lined up in a conventional 4-4-2. Vale are a club in turmoil, deducted 10 points earlier this season for entering administration, Mickey Adams seems to have ignored all of the off-the-pitch problems and built a team still proud to play for the badge. Had it not been for the 10 point deduction Vale would be contesting the play-off battle.

In a lacklustre first half of few chances Torquay settled the quickest and could have gone ahead inside 5 minutes. Rene Howe chased down a high ball and capitalised on some indecision between the Goalkeeper and the defender to knock the ball wide of the pair, unfortunately the angle he had created for himself was too acute and his resulting shot hit the side-netting. A let off for Vale, nearly punished for some sloppy defending, but Torquay in truth, did not threaten after that early chance.

Vale grew into the game and started to play some neat passing football especially on the counter attack. On a number of occasions Vale's resilience proved too tough for a slightly jaded looking Torquay line-up to break down and the away team were able to push The Gulls back and win a succession of corners. Torquay looked to have learnt their lesson from the 2 set pieces they conceded from on Tuesday night and defended confidently without really being able to counter attack in the manner we have become accustomed to.

Vale took the lead around the half hour mark, A dangerous cross in from the left was not dealt with by either of the centre backs, and Joe Oastler could not find the desired distance required in his clearance, his miss hit volley falling to McCombe on the edge of the box, he took a touch and then lashed it into the corner of the net, Olejnik standing no chance. Vale's goal was pretty much the only shot on target in a first half lacking that extra bit of quality.

Vale looked good value for their half time lead combatting Torquay's normally fluent attacking play with a brand of their own. For one of the first times this season our 4-5-1 was not working and a change of approach was clearly needed. Fired up by Ling and Mansell, Torquay took back to the field looking to overturn the deficit and they started brightly without really threatening the Vale goal.

Fifteen minutes into the second half and Torquay had still to threaten Tomlinson in the away goal. You could sense the match slipping away from the home side who were guilty of overplaying at times, the final pass on a number of instances was the incorrect one. Vale had already resorted to time wasting and helped by a fussy referee and his seemingly clueless linesmen it was turning into a very frustrating afternoon for the noisy Yellow Army. Rene Howe in particular was pulled up repeatedly by a Referee who tried his hardest to make himself the centre of attention,

The match turned on the double substitution on the hour mark. Taiwo Atieno and Ryan Jarvis were sent on for the two ineffective wide men; Ian Morris and Danny Stevens as Torquay abandoned width and went with 3 forwards down the centre. It gave Torquay the impetus to get back into the game, especially with Mark Ellis joining the attack at every opportunity. Immediately the Vale goal was put under pressure and for the next 20 minutes it was under siege as Torquay attacked in waves.

Torquay thought they had taken the lead when a header came back off the underside of the crossbar and bounced back into play, falling to Lee Mansell 2 yards out whose follow up header was half stopped by Tomlinson and then cleared from under the crossbar again. While there was doubt whether Mansell's follow up had crossed the line, the initial header looked for all the world like it had gone in but the Linesmen, who had an excellent view, maintained that he had not seen it.

Torquay, spurred on by this sense of injustice, continued to attack in numbers and it was Rene Howe who would swing the match firmly in the home side's favour. Chasing another high ball, Howe out muscled the defender and managed to get goal side of his man with a run on goal, the young centre-back Davis was forced to bring him down for a penalty and got his marching orders in the process. The walk of shame along the length of the Popside won't have done the confidence of the 17 year old any favours, but proves that Football can often be a steep learning curve.

In what seemed like an eternity whilst the referee fussily cleared the penalty area, Rene Howe remained the coolest man in the stadium. His delayed run up sent Tomlinson to the floor, as he gently stroked the ball in the opposite direction. Now with the scores level and with a man advantage could Torquay find the winner in the remaining 20 minutes?

Just 3 minutes later Torquay did take the lead, another cross from the left evaded the massed crowd in the centre of the box and found its way to to Ryan Jarvis lingering at the far post, his instinctive header beat the keeper at his near post and just squeezed into the net sending Plainmoor into wild celebration. It was the loan man's first goal for the club and what a crucial one it could turn out to be.

The Yellow Army cranked the decibel level up as Torquay continued to attack, sensing a real opportunity to improve the goal difference. Atieno and Jarvis had now retreated to the wings as Torquay played slightly more defensively but using the extra man to their advantage, getting in behind the Vale defence time and time again but just failing to make the final ball count. The tiring Rene Howe was replaced with ten minutes left, replaced by Lathaniel Rowe-Turner. His exit was greeted with a standing ovation in recognition that he had almost single-handedly got the home side back into the game.

Torquay nearly wrapped the game up in spectacular fashion, Damon Lathrope, still yet to score for his club, rattling the crossbar from fully 30 yards. He controlled the ball neatly following a clearance and his looping half volley evaded the outstretched fingers of the goalkeeper and cannoned back into play off the angle of post and crossbar- it would have been a worthy winner of Goal of the Season, which,given the quality of goals on display this term highlights what a brilliant effort it was.

4 minutes of stoppage time were signalled at the end of a pulsating second half, and Torquay so nearly threw away their lead. Some slack marking let the ten men of vale hit the bar themselves in the final minute. A cross from the right was met on the half volley by Ben Williamson, whose powerful strike bounced off the crossbar and over the away end roof leaving Bobby Olejnik apoplectic that the chance had arisen so late on. It was a massive let off for the men in Yellow who held on to clinch all 3 vital points.

It was a classic case of a game of two halves,Torquay were flaccid in the first half and electric in the second, Vale will count themselves unlucky not to have got something from this match, they nullified the Torquay threat superbly in the first half, and the game swung on a debatable red card decision. Torquay however, will say you make your own luck and showed once again that when in the ascendancy, Torquay are a very difficult side to stop.

Torquay stay in second place, but within catching distance of the teams below them, the only way to get achieve automatic promotion is to keep on winning and Torquay have become very good at that recently. With the defeat to Swindon now a memory Torquay will look to go on the same sort of run after the last time they tasted defeat where they picked up 13 from a possible 15. A similar run now would see Torquay on the edge of glory in what has been and is becoming a remarkable season.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I LOVE PLAINMOOR AND I WANT TO BUILD A SMALL TREEHOUSE ABOVE THE AWAY END AND LIVE IN IT SO I CAN WATCH THE MIGHTY GULLS EVERY HOME GAME INSTEAD OF DRIVING 270 MILES THERE AND 270 MILES BACK AGAIN AND AFTER THE GAMES I CAN BUY FISH AND CHIPS FROM DRAKES ( WENT TO HANBURYS AND THEY WERE SHIT AND EXPENSIVE ) AND GO AND EAT THEM ON A BENCH OVERLOOKING BABBACOMBE BEACH. I LOVE IT EVERYONE!! HOME GAMES AT PLAINMOOR ARE THE BESTEST IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD. THE END.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

austrianandygull wrote:I LOVE PLAINMOOR AND I WANT TO BUILD A SMALL TREEHOUSE ABOVE THE AWAY END AND LIVE IN IT SO I CAN WATCH THE MIGHTY GULLS EVERY HOME GAME INSTEAD OF DRIVING 270 MILES THERE AND 270 MILES BACK AGAIN AND AFTER THE GAMES I CAN BUY FISH AND CHIPS FROM DRAKES ( WENT TO HANBURYS AND THEY WERE sh*t AND EXPENSIVE ) AND GO AND EAT THEM ON A BENCH OVERLOOKING BABBACOMBE BEACH. I LOVE IT EVERYONE!! HOME GAMES AT PLAINMOOR ARE THE BESTEST IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD. THE END.
well said mate. :clap:

now, isnt it time for your "special" jacket and that lie down in a dark room................. 8/ =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Review here:

http://bit.ly/H5PgbG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy!