Keeper on loan.....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

royalgull wrote:All through the season players have been missing and the experts on here have said the replacements are crap, not good enough etc. Stevens was first, then McPhee, then Atieno, then Morris, then Saah and everybody in the squad has stepped up at some point and done well for us. Bobby has been massive for us, you only have to look at Exeter to see what happens when you have a rubbish keeper and where we are to see what happens when you have a quality one. By all accounts he's fine and that's all that matters.

We don't want any disruption to the team right now but sometimes it can't be helped, like I said in the summer if Ricey is needed in the first team he won't let anyone down. In his only game at Cheltenham he was one of our better players on the night, what happens in reserve games when he's playing behing a bunch of kids in defense has no bearing on anything. Remember Ellis played when we lost 9 something at Cheltenham!!!

Bobby's our number 1 I agree with Ling he is by far the best in the elague probably the best in the bottom 2 leagues so if he was missing then we would absolutely miss him big time, anyone would and whoever comes in is a) going to be inferior and b) going to have huge boots to fill. But Ricey would deserve his chance just like everyone else in the side has done. I'm hoping it's not an issue this season now though because if we're going to go up we need no disruptions now especially not in goal.
Good point. Ricey has not had the chance to let anyone down in his second spell here so how can he be judged without this? Doubt he will be needed on Tuesday but if he is let’s give him our confidence as confidence this is very much attributed with form.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

royalgull wrote:

I feel i must defend myself here. First of all i am not an expert and have never claimed to be, all i have is an opinion on what i see and that is good enough for me. I'm not one of these people who slags someone / thing off regardless. If they improve or show me they are better than i give them credit for then i will say so and hold my hands up.

Stevens first. Bixie and others know he is not my favourite player. I said he was too predictable and not equipped for league football. He hadn't improved or varied his game. Stevens has improved immeasurably this season and has been a great outlet for the team AND chipped in with goals. Going on what i'd seen of him the previous 4 seasons i was staggered that he was still being considered for first team football. I don't think my opinion of him before the season kicked off was unjustified. The fact is that he HAS improved this season and he HAS been a key player for us. IMO i think our style of play suits him in the fact that he always cuts inside and NEVER goes past a defender to whip crosses in. I don't believe he is capable of doing this if need be so essentially he has 'gotten away with it' however what he has done he has done admirably and i do believe he has the ability to be a league footballer.

McPhee is just McPhee. A tall ungainly striker who has a good record at conference level but is not good enough for us as even a back up. He did really well at Cheltenham and has done as the manager has asked as a pro but he is not good enough or us. Nothing against the bloke. I'm sure many of you will agree.

Tai has shown glimpses of quality but overall i have to say he is a fairly average back up striker. He shouldn't really be starting.

Who else? Morris? Morris is fine, not a problem with him.

I think fans have a right to dislike certain players and as long as it is done on a reasoned basis then fair enough. Not every player who has played for us has been competent.

I'm not saying that every squad member has not done well for us when called upon because they have, they are in there to do a job and they will do it as best they can. Doesn't mean they are any good and i think they are suddenly great. I'm not a hypocrite.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

austrianandygull wrote:

I feel i must defend myself here. First of all i am not an expert and have never claimed to be, all i have is an opinion on what i see and that is good enough for me. I'm not one of these people who slags someone / thing off regardless. If they improve or show me they are better than i give them credit for then i will say so and hold my hands up.

Stevens first. Bixie and others know he is not my favourite player. I said he was too predictable and not equipped for league football. He hadn't improved or varied his game. Stevens has improved immeasurably this season and has been a great outlet for the team AND chipped in with goals. Going on what i'd seen of him the previous 4 seasons i was staggered that he was still being considered for first team football. I don't think my opinion of him before the season kicked off was unjustified. The fact is that he HAS improved this season and he HAS been a key player for us. IMO i think our style of play suits him in the fact that he always cuts inside and NEVER goes past a defender to whip crosses in. I don't believe he is capable of doing this if need be so essentially he has 'gotten away with it' however what he has done he has done admirably and i do believe he has the ability to be a league footballer.

McPhee is just McPhee. A tall ungainly striker who has a good record at conference level but is not good enough for us as even a back up. He did really well at Cheltenham and has done as the manager has asked as a pro but he is not good enough or us. Nothing against the bloke. I'm sure many of you will agree.

Tai has shown glimpses of quality but overall i have to say he is a fairly average back up striker. He shouldn't really be starting.

Who else? Morris? Morris is fine, not a problem with him.

I think fans have a right to dislike certain players and as long as it is done on a reasoned basis then fair enough. Not every player who has played for us has been competent.

I'm not saying that every squad member has not done well for us when called upon because they have, they are in there to do a job and they will do it as best they can. Doesn't mean they are any good and i think they are suddenly great. I'm not a hypocrite.
In fairness to Andy, i don't think anyone could have predicted Stevens change in form this year. We'd all seen him for long enough to know what he was about and I don't think anyone could genuinely say they were pleased when he was offered a new 2 year deal in the summer. As it turns out, he has improved dramatically this year and that 2 year deal is now looking like something of a masterstroke. Another Ling miracle!
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Wasn't a personal attack at you Andy, I too was hasty in my verdict on Saah. I saw the first 4 or 5 games this season and I thought the bloke was hopeless. I also wasn't buying into all the Ellis love but both have been outstanding in the 2nd half of the season.

It's more a trust the manager, trust the players post. Too many times we as fans collectively write people off, well he's not good enough because in McPhee's case he was crpa before or Atieno was rubbish for Steveange so he's no good for us. It just doesn't work like that. Players change with different environments and different things expected of them. McPhee is now a central midfielder, he can play on the right or up front as a stop gap but his primary position now is central midfield. As a squad player needed here and there he's done fine for us.

Stevens again i never thought he could do it for 46 games a season like a lot of people but he's proved this season he can, again different manager different environment maybe different things expected of him on the pitch.

Ricey I doubt will be needed, but if he is I think Ling has earnt the right to be backed 100% on any decision he's made. Too many times he's made us me included eat our words.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

No worries Royal. I agree with all you have just posted anyway, apart from the bit about Ling.....he's shit!! ;-)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Southampton Gull wrote:Non-starter, Martin Ling has shown complete faith in his squad so far and I'm sure he would treat Martin Rice exactly the same.

OK............. Shock!!!! horror!!!!!

I know a chant that use to have Ricey's and your name in it!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Awayday wrote:
OK............. Shock!!!! horror!!!!!

I know a chant that use to have Ricey's and your name in it!

But you've never heard me singing it ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Southampton Gull wrote:
But you've never heard me singing it ;-)
But you never denied it either