MOTM - Bradford

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

MOTM - Bradford

Post by Gulliball »

Disappointing defeat, but all games count the same over the season.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Hard one, not so many nominees..

Stevens
Saah
Oastler
Nico
Manse

...and i am probably being kind.
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

Stevens
Saah
Nico
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Stevens
Nicholson
Mansell
Saah
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Stevens
Mcphee
Saah
Bobby
Mansell
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

There weren't many good United performances today so only two nominees from me

Stevens
Saah
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Stevens
McPhee
Saah
Mansell
Formerly known as forevertufc
cosmic74
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by cosmic74 »

Stevens
Saah
Nicho
O'Kane
Mansell
I live for matchdays!!!!
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

McPhee
Stevens
Saah
Nicho
The gulls are going up
TPence89
New Signing
New Signing

Post by TPence89 »

Stevens
Saah
Oastler
Nicholson
Atieno

Tough game to watch though... COYY
A J
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by A J »

1. Danny Stevens
2. Kevin Nicholson
3. Brian Saah

4 & 5 :sleep:
Mr_T1nker
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by Mr_T1nker »

1. Brian Saah
2. Danny Stevens
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

1. Stevens
2. McPhee
3. Saah
4. Nicholson
5. Howe

Was a peculiar game, thought Bradford were excellent first half and they decided to attack us rather than just sit back and be content with 0-0 which a lot of sides do. Their front 3 were a real handful especially Fagan and Reid, clear that they've played at higher levels. Their pace and strength as well as trickery caused us problems all afternoon but especially in the first half. We scored against the run of play with a lovely cross in and finish from Stevens but found ourselves chasing the game within a matter of minutes. A low cross was mis hit by Fagan, we had 4 players around the ball, no one stopped the second cross, no one picked up Fagan tap in 1-1. We hadn't settled and it was 2-1 shortly after, another cross from the right, mis hit by Mansell found it's way to Reid who played a lovely one-two with Fagan then drilled it home, lovely finish.

Was a new challenge for us as recently we haven't been chasing any game and haven't been conceeding. I do think conditions played a part, the family stand end was very slippery in particular and their was a horrible side wind and rain 1st half which caused MAnsell's miscue and some of our hesistant and sloppy defending. Ellis for one had his worst game I've seen him have for ages, Fagan bullied him for most of the game and he wasn't his usual self, conditions I think played on his mind as he was hesitant on numerous occasions.

We didn't pass this test very well, We tried to play and McPhee i thought was very good. He's not quite as mobile as Lathrope but he worked his nuts off. He made 3 or 4 crucial blocks and headers, passed the ball well and did all that could be asked of him, had a much better game than MAnse who was a bit off his usual standards. I had a couple of mates with me who thought we huffed and puffed, maybe deserved a draw but didn't get a lot of luck nor could we match Bradford's physicality which i thought was pretty much bang on. We went route 1 but aimed everything at Oliver whose about 7ft tall and he mopped it all up. Their keeper looked iffy as well so to not get many shots on target was really annoying as I felt he would have likely given us an equaliser but wasn't to be.

Lingy has been pretty much faultless but I have to say I thought he got his subs completely wrong on Saturday. Our system wasn't really working second half, it was absolutely right to get Howe on and he made a huge difference to us once he was on the pitch. But 1 down chasing the game, I didn't see why taking Atieno off was a good idea. Didn't think Tai had his best game on sat but even so I would have taken a midfielder off and gone 2 up front. McPhee also went off a bit later on and again he's a part time striker so surely it would have been a better idea having him on the pitch up there with Tai, Howe and maybe even Ellis as well going 4 up front for the last 5 mins or so.

One positive was Yeoman though, very pacey very direct and once he was on with Howe we looked a threat, i was impressed with him and I'd like to see a bit more of him in the first team. That pace is an asset and gives us something different. other than stevens we don't have enough direct players with pace. Note about Stevens good saturday again, I like Danny because he always tries to do something positive. Always looking to run at players, pass forwards, take a shot on etc doesn't always work but it signals intent and Saturday we had too many players trying to take a safety first approach. This is where Yeoman made a difference.

Overall a frustrating day really, the effort was there we hit the post 2nd half but we didn't really do enough or have enough quality to see off a stubborn and decent Bradford side. In fact we were lucky to get away with only conceeding 2, they had 2 more glorious chances to get more goals and only their poor finishing let us off the hook.

Hopefully just a bad day at the office defensively as we've been faultless recently. I would tinker a tiny bit for Gills, Howe has to come back into the side as he's just an all round better player with more goal threat than Tai, who for all his hard work and battling qualities is an ideal replacement when legs are tiring but just doesn't have the same ability as Howe. I'd bring Lathrope back in as well if he's fit but credit to McPhee he's shown himself to be capable in that position. Also keep Yeoman on the bench please, more of him he could be a little rough diamond.