New deal for Bobby

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

New deal for Bobby

Post by Dave »

Signed on until 2014, fantastic news, another well done to Martin Ling. :clap:

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 25,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Formerly known as forevertufc
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Beat me to it! :)

Fantastic news! Can't see him seeing it out unless we get to the championship!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Brilliant news! :clap: :)

As quoted above, well done Lingy! :bow:
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

From day 1 this looked a great signing and so it has proved to be. Great news - hope for some more good news (re Ellis and Lathrope) soon!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Like Eunan , I think Bobby is player in no rush to leave Torquay, if he keeps playing at the level he is now, then I am sure there will be bigger clubs having a look, however buy signing him up on this contract Torquay can put a hefty price tag on his head.
Formerly known as forevertufc
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Excellent news .... it just gets better and better being a TUFC fan!

A nice surprise too as although we may have hoped an extension to his contract was being discussed Lingy chose not to go public on the deal until the contract was signed. Yet more impressive business by Martin Ling and well done to the Board for contiuing to back the Manager and at the same time protecting the club's assets. As others have said would be fantastic if we could now get longer deals agreed for Mark Ellis and Damon Lathrope.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

A well deserved deal for Bobby. Absolutely brilliant signing for us. One of the best keepers I've seen at Torquay since I've been a fan of this club. What a season this is turning out to be!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Superb - I think Bobby has possibly been one of the best signings in my time supporting Torquay.

For me this is another example of the difference between Ling and Buckle.

Where as Buckle seemed to spaff all his budget on as many players as possible (some of them on too long contracts), then add a few more on loan when too many of the initial crop didn't work then moan that his budget was too small and his hands were tied, Ling has kept his powder dry to enable us to bring in more players when necessary or alternatively offer more competitive deals to retain (or at least boost the transfer value) our best players - as we have seen first with Eunan and now Bobby.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Although no TUFC fan should have been glad to see Robbo move on, if ultimately by his moving on it has freed up enough money in the budget (and of course hos transfer fee) to secure Bobby O on a longer deal and offer Mark Ellis that little bit more to persuade him to stay then ultimately his sale has been a good move all around by TUFC. Quality defender that he is, Robbo was always going to move on for free in the summer anyway but by letting him go now we may just have secured the longer term services of two or three more of our key players.
TUFCforever
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by TUFCforever »

Couldn't agree more with the posts on here already, an brillant signing at the start of the season and has got even better as the season has gone on. By far the best keeper in this league and what a breath of fresh air he is on Bevan who didn't know he could come out of his 6 yard box let alone his 18 yard box. His kicking is some of the best I have seen at any level and his ability to distribute the ball early puts us on the front foot that much quicker.
Lingy has done well and I doubted his judgement on some of his choices within the team and no go out and get new players in but eat my words I have and glad to admit it, we are now a team that looks and plays like we should be in a higher league. I would be just that little bit happier if we could just bring in another Striker to complement what we already have.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

When we had Poke on loan from Southampton, I never thought we would top him at this level of football. Then Bevan came along, and even though Bevan was not as confident in his own area as Poke, he was a fair replacement.

Now we have Bobby..... even just watching him warm up, he is immense in the box. He doesn't just block shots he catches them. I appreciate there is no "I" in team, but I think we owe a lot to Bobby and Ling at the moment, and very pleasantly suprised that he has chosen to stay with us. I said to Southampton Gull on Tuesday night at Cheltenhamshire that Bobby would stay until the summer, if we go up he will stay, if not he would be sold to a league 1 club. Thank you for proving me wrong.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Awayday wrote:I said to Southampton Gull on Tuesday night at Cheltenhamshire that Bobby would stay until the summer, if we go up he will stay, if not he would be sold to a league 1 club. Thank you for proving me wrong.
I don't think this new contract actually changes that a great deal, to be honest. It's helpful to all parties because it gives Bobby more job security and allows us to have more leverage in the event of a sale. If we don't get promoted I expect Bobby to move on, but with this longer contract we'll be able to demand a greater fee. Good business, really. To me, it says a lot about the atmosphere in the squad that players are willing to commit. O'Kane did the same thing not long ago, but I don't think anybody is really expecting him to see his contract out.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Brilliant news, for many reasons. Firstly he's obviously a cracking keeper, but as mentioned, it also shows that the players are happy here and aren't looking to move on at the first opportunity.

That's now Oleknik, Nicholson, Mansell and O'Kane signed up until 2014. Hopefully Ellis and Lathrope follow soon and that's a terrific starting point to build a squad around. I'd like to see Oastler offered an extension too, as he seems to be turning in regular performances and improving rapidly.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

That there Dinger has a way with words.

I love the quote "We are building something special here at Torquay and a good goalkeeper is often the foundation for success in any team, and we have a very good one.”

Gulp.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

yellow wrote:That there Dinger has a way with words.

I love the quote "We are building something special here at Torquay and a good goalkeeper is often the foundation for success in any team, and we have a very good one.”

Gulp.
A goalkeeper is rather like a security guard with the authority to confiscate people's balls.