Popside Atmosphere, where have the singers gone?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
yellow_mouse
Trialist
Trialist

Popside Atmosphere, where have the singers gone?

Post by yellow_mouse »

Being a regular (under-exaggerated) home and away fan for 6 years now something has changed considerably during my Popside experience most notably this season. Appreciated are the new management, new players and even a gradual new grandstand, apart from the later all of which are massively and excitingly exceeding all pre-season expectations, and I am sure the grandstand will catch up soon. Anyway I used to find myself regularly reminiscing about the previous home game and our ability to sing sometimes loud enough to actually be that so called 12th man, Plainmoor was and fair enough still seems to be a tough place to come and play Torquay United. Perhaps it is me but ever since a request from a man called Paul Buckle to the Popside to congregate towards the away end during an FA Cup match against Crawley Town the Popside seems to have been split and if anything seems to have lost that Popside atmosphere that was oh so ever present rain or shine. I guess it doesn’t really matter as on the pitch the results keep coming but noted by others and discussed at every home game around me is the lack of apparent atmosphere or more likely the atmosphere we all once felt. I know other clubs have launched a cry of help to get fans to come together and I am not suggesting that is whats needed at all, but maybe just maybe we could bring back that Popside noise that was always present in that same place on the left as you walk through to the infamous Popside.
jocktheknife
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Nicho

Post by jocktheknife »

Yeah it's been very noticeable for the last few games in particular....the atmosphere, singing, noise levels are embarrassingly poor.

I'm guessing from seeing the ultras flag quite close to the away end on saturday, that the group of 20/30 younger lads have upped sticks and moved there.......shame really because from the fam stand you can barely hear them.

The singing has never been as good at Plainmoor since the old mini stand became the family stand.....but at least when the singers were on the pop half way line......most in that area joined in, creating at times, a half decent atmosphere.
....aka jmgull.
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

The only sub-forums we need is the banter board and the possibly the popside. This should be on the main board.
tufc4life1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: okane

Post by tufc4life1 »

I've got to admit I'm one of the lads in the group who has moved down the end and at tops there's only about 10 of us which isn't great however lee mansell has said it makes no difference where we go.
were trying to set up a new group as ones in the middle spend more time ruining the songs and moaning for example they mill moan at dale cavese song so instead they start singing the national anthem being childish.

for the barnet game we came up next to family stand for second half which helped as them can hear us and start singing, remember when nico scored that beauty last minute the whole ground was bouncing and singing to the we love you song.
Finally wi know its been mentioned before but we need some sort of plastic on the walls and roof to echo the noise around the pop so both ends can here eachother.
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

Plastic on the walls? Do Dale Cavese need plastic on the wall? What we need is more people singing and if moving back to the middle is the best way of that happening then so be it.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

At the end of last season we realised we could create a great atmosphere and banter with the away fans down in that bottom corner.

I don't think it matters if you are in the middle or on the ends of the popside, the popside as a whole has crap accoustics, so if you are not in ear shot of the singers then you don't hear it thus don't join in. I keep saying it, and I won't stop saying it, give us the away end and we will have one of the loudest lower league grounds. Let the away fans have a small section of the corner in the popside (near the away end) and I think you will find we will get Plainmoor jumping. Look at Bristol Rovers, we had a crappy little terrace in the corner (although most of us managed to get in the tent for the singing). Look at all the other grounds where the away fans are stuck in the corner (or behind a post like Hereford). We should pick a game where we know the away fans will be in low numbers, and give them the popside corner, and let the popside move to the away end as an experiment.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Parry wrote:The only sub-forums we need is the banter board and the possibly the popside. This should be on the main board.

Parry, this was only moved as it is to do with promoting atmosphere, it's good to keep the posts tidy :)
tufc4life1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: okane

Post by tufc4life1 »

@Awayday

i did do a vote on the main board but i had a bad response with it,
i feel strongly about us having the away end think it would make such a good atmosphere however people were moaning about not having the chance to go boots and laces at half time.

what i think we should do is split away end in half with our fans next to pop so they can go bar at half time and give away fans a tiny bit in new stand aswell so they have option of seating.

Much as id like it to happen i dont think club will and not enough people would back it if we done a petition.

For the moment if people want to make an atmosphere stop complaining about us being down end and come and join us ;-)
We aren't moving now so we'll be down end for good. ;-)
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

tufc4life1 wrote:@Awayday

i did do a vote on the main board but i had a bad response with it,
i feel strongly about us having the away end think it would make such a good atmosphere however people were moaning about not having the chance to go boots and laces at half time.

what i think we should do is split away end in half with our fans next to pop so they can go bar at half time and give away fans a tiny bit in new stand aswell so they have option of seating.

Much as id like it to happen i dont think club will and not enough people would back it if we done a petition.

For the moment if people want to make an atmosphere stop complaining about us being down end and come and join us ;-)
We aren't moving now so we'll be down end for good. ;-)
Not a bad idea but it wouldnt work i'm afraid. It would be better if the majority of the popside joined in! not just the middle or down the away end because there are hundreds of people between the 2 groups. As for the "We love you" song dont you think it would sound 10x better if everybody sung it .. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dreaming Of Promotion ..