A few tasty stats

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Sexy_Gulls
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

A few tasty stats

Post by Sexy_Gulls »

In October I, along with many other Gulls fans, went to Southend and saw the lads get hammered 4-1.
3 days later we changed formation and battered AFC Wimbledon 4-0. For me that game is when our current run of form started, so heres some rather impressive stats for ya (league only)

P16 W13 D2 L1

That makes us the form side in the country by a long way, 7 wins in 2012, 1 defeat in 16, 41 points from 48. Whichever way you look at it there isn't another team close.

Goals conceded in those 16 games: 7 (3 from Accrington away, so 4 in the 15 other games)

However the best stat of all is this, apart from the Accrington game we have not let the other team define the result. We have not had a win changed into a draw, or a draw into a defeat. If we score first we win. if we don't score the game ends 0-0. Tonight fans have talked about nerves in the stands but none on the pitch, we haven't thrown anything away. Nothing. Literally. (not even in the Jamie Redknapp sense)

A few months ago I posted asking whether we could sneak the play-offs. I said yes because I thought that we played good football that creates clear opportunities to score and so don't really on luck, and at the other end we defend well and make the opposition rely on luck to score. We have been lucky only in the sense that bad luck hasn't happened. We haven't scored a hatful of goals because we haven't needed to. Seeing how confident we are makes me believe that if we did concede first, or get pegged back, we would up our game accordingly. Both games against Plymouth saw us raise our game in a second half to a level they couldn't match. Tonight I listened on gulls player and never really thought that Cheltenham would score. For a fan of any lower league team that happens once in a blue moon.

I know we will loose at some point, we'll probably go on a bad run too, and teams below us have games in hand. But crucially we are playing as a team, relying on collective ability, rather than individual moments to get us results. Every single player since Southend away has done their job and beyond, no-one is letting the side down and today Chris McPhee came off the bench to replace one of our most important players in probably the toughest game of the season and no-one noticed the difference.

GET IN!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Good Post. here here. I totaly agree.
There really isn't a bad player or weak link in our team at the moment.
Witness Danny being subbed to change tactics and he was annoyed because he really didn't want to come off,. But as against their player who was subbed and playing badly who threw his toys out the pram once back in the dug out showed up Danny as a man rather than a little boy. He showed we are a touch above that sort of behaviour.
We have cohesion. discipline. and shape. we know what we are doing. I cannot see how we can fail to reach the playoffs with this sort of form and who knows we may even emulate the team of 2004.
It would be nice to see some of that team at our last game though to celebrate what for us has by and large been a superb start to this millenium. Yes we went down after a moron took charge but we have a cup final and two promotions to look back on. wouldn't it be great to have 3 promotions to look back on.
This team has that chance to really make history, and do something that no other Gulls team has ever achieved. But I won't bring a hoodoo on it by suggesting what.
Last edited by Glostergull on 15 Feb 2012, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Post deleted due to duplication. again?
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

Glostergull wrote:Good Post. here here. I totaly agree.
There really isn't a bad player or weak link in our team at the moment.
Witness Danny being subbed to change tactics and he was annoyed because he really didn't want to come off,. But as against their player who was subbed and playing badly who threw his toys out the pram once back in the dug out showed up Danny as a man rather than a little boy. He showed we are a touch above that sort of behaviour.
We have cohesion. discipline. and shape. we know what we are doing. I cannot see how we can fail to reach the playoffs with this sort of form and who knows we may even emulate the team of 2004.
It would be nice to see some of that team at our last game though to celebrate what for us has by and large been a superb start to this millenium. Yes we went down after a moron took charge but we have a cup final and two promotions to look back on. wouldn't it be great to have 3 promotions to look back on.
This team has that chance to really make history, and do something that no other Gulls team has ever achieved. But I won't bring a hoodoo on it by suggesting what.

Too late you said it now :O :slap: