The next two games...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

The next two games...

Post by drummergull90 »

Shrewsbury at home, Cheltenham away.

Two localish derbies, both promotion rivals.

Realistically how many points do you see us getting from them? I have a feeling we will draw both, cementing our place in the playoffs but drifting away from the automatic spots. If we manage to pick up 4 then we are laughing, 6 and we are in the autos!

Crucial games.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

When on earth did Shrewsbury become "local-ish"?!
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Manager of the Month is usually a curse so knowing our luck 0. But thats me being pessimistic.

Would be delighted with four points (Or Six) satisfied with two. I'd say the main thing is not losing these two games and drawing with them would still keep us in touch with both of them and the others above us, And obviously the added incentive of winning tommorow would take us above Shrewsbury..
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Wouldn't class Shrewsbury as a localish derby! Scraping the barrel a bit there! ;-)

As for the games, 4 points would be excellent, Shrews will be desperate to get a double over us after last season and so on, while Cheltenham will want to bounce back after they got well beaten by Crawley in the week (assuming their games off tomorrow).

Should we beat Shrewsbury then I hope we'll have about 700 or so fans at Cheltenham.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

It's not just the next two games. Over the next five or six weeks, after Shrewsbury (H) and Cheltenham (A), we have tough matches against promotion rivals Crawley (A), Swindon (A) and Barnet (A), plus Burton (A) and Gillingham (A).

There are no easy games from now on. But look at it this way round: these games are not going to be easy for our opponents. I should say, more accurately, and as you've indicated, that they are important games. A lot of six-pointers coming up.

But I'm very optimistic.. :-D
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

I think tomorrow's game will give us a real indication of where we are at. We have done fantastically well over the last few months and yet we have only really met promotion chasing sides twice (Swindon and Oxford at home) - the win against Swindon certainly should give us optimism and so we can go into this game with confidence high.

Unbelieveable really but quite simply if we win tomorrow we will leapfrog both Shrewsbury and Swindon (whose game has fallen foul of the weather) and will be sat in FOURTH place! Should we do that then you have to say anything is possible but I still feel that realistically a play off spot is our most likely chance of promotion and that there is still plenty of work to do to cement our place in the play offs so let's not get ahead of ourselves!!!

When you think back to that heavy defeat against Southend who would ever have thought that we would be where we are now! Yes, we have probably had some good fortune along the way in terms of how the fixtures have fallen but even when you look at that so called bad run we had - no win in 8 games -it's easy to forget that we only lost 4 of those and when you think that 2 of those 4 were away from home to the likes of Shrewsbury and Southend then to lose to the likes of them was hardly a disgrace and home draws against the likes of Cheltenham, Rotherham and even Morecambe (who have an excellent away record) during that run were not too bad really. Personally I think the only bad results looking back were the away defeat against 10 man Bradford and the 5-2 home defeat to Gillingham. Other than that I think overall you have to say we have done really well this season and even when we were "bad" we weren't really all that bad looking back at it!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

2 or 3 points would be more than acceptable for me although i think we'll probably get 1 in a home draw with Shrewsbury. I'm more looking forward to the re-arranged Rotherham game though on the 13th of March as it's a bit of a local derby. 8/
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Our game against Bradford will also be tricky. They've lost only two of their last nine league games.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Without Robbo and Rene and a newly crowned Manager of the month (the curse), and a player of the month as well the omens are heavily stacked against us tomorrow.

I believe that the result will tell us a lot about where we are at and where we are heading.

COYY.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

We will do well to remain undefeated in the next two games. I am anticipating a draw today and hoping for at least a draw in mid week
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

AlexGulls wrote:Manager of the Month is usually a curse so knowing our luck 0.
how many more times, theres no evidence to support this curse myth, can we plaease all stop it!!??
still keeping the faith
bc-gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Pearce

Post by bc-gull »

Won both games. We are playing quality at the moment!!

COYY
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

We would have scored more goals if Mr Ling hadn't won that damned Manager of the Month award.. :@
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

bixieupnorth wrote: how many more times, theres no evidence to support this curse myth, can we plaease all stop it!!??
I'm a pessimist so I'm happy to be proved wrong!
BernardB
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by BernardB »

The good thing about being a pessimist is you only get nice surprises.