Grandstand update

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Fantastic photos Walshy! Thanks Again!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

What a cracking win again today against Hereford and apart from some imaginative attacking play the big bonus was seeing the way that everybody was determined to put their body between the player pulling the trigger and the goal. A great performance full of determination.

So why am I on this thread? I was pleased to see another section of 'Grandstand Tales' in our excellent TQ1 programme but was disappointed with a big inaccuracy. I travelled with a Hereford fan to the game and he read it out as I was driving him home.

The programme said that the Grandstand was pushed to it's limits in January 1955 when 21,908 fans saw us gain a creditable 2-2 draw with the superstars of Tottenham Hotspur.

The game that is being referred to was on 29 January 1955 in the 4th Round of the FA Cup and it was against Huddersfield Town (who were a massive club at that time) and we lost the game 1-0 (having beaten Leeds United 4-0 in a 3rd Round replay).

The Spurs reference is undoubtedly to our 3rd Round FA Cup game on 9 January 1965 when the crowd was 20,000 and the score was 3-3.

Whilst it may sound a bit nit picking my friend reading the programme believed what he was reading so if inaccuracies are not pointed out then it becomes accepted as fact.

The re-writing and the new interpretation of history is very common, but when it comes to football you can not re-write who we were playing and what the score was!

Was Churchill a war criminal is a fair enough question to pose? Did Torquay draw with Spurs (?) in January 1955 though is not a question or statement to pass on to impressionable young supporters who may then pass that on to their children and worse still have it passed on again to their grandchildren and it then becomes accepted as being true!

Apart from that enjoyable game and excellent programme ;-)
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

So who ever went to the hereford game, is all of the old stand demolished yet? How far along?

Also Is working well where the teams come out to the pitch so far?

Y4L
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Yellow4life wrote:So who ever went to the hereford game, is all of the old stand demolished yet? How far along?

Also Is working well where the teams come out to the pitch so far?

Y4L
The old stand dating from 1927 is gone. The structure of the newer section at the Family Stand end erected in 1955 is still there but has been gutted with seating etc removed and is just awaiting demolition.

The dug outs remain at the Grandstand side with a fence separating them from the building works.

The players are entering the pitch from the corner between the police box at the Away End and the Popside. They are getting changed somewhere behind the Popside and it appeared to work ok as they all had the correct kit on. ;-)
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

any more pictures would be gratefully recd please. i saw on the hilights that the left hand old section was completely gone. certainly taking their time. did they honestly think that it'd be open by february!! i'm still going for an opening date of after the end of this season.
Last edited by bixieupnorth on 31 Oct 2011, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
still keeping the faith
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

bixie the new aim is for the first game of next season

they want to make an event of it, rather than it open on a wet tuesday night
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

bixieupnorth wrote:any more pictures would be gratefully recd please. i saw on the hilights that the left hand old section was completely gone. certainly taking their time. did they honestly think that it'd be open by february!! i'm still going for an opening date of after the end of this season.
I understand that we still aren't in contract for the rebuild. The demolition and enabling works have been let as a separate package whilst the Club went out to tender again after the farce with Mansells.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Don't panic just yet (no suggestion that we are, just preemptive), Andrew Candy has a specific remit to oversee the Grandstand project. Despite his restricting influences (ask SG if you don't know who I mean... :whistle: ), he simply will not let this project go to the dogs.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Anyone know what the final capacity will be once the Grandstand is complete. I note this week the Pop side has gone up 500 due to a strengthened wall.

Presumably this will be added to the final capacity.

6000, 6500, 7000...more
TUST #324
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

For some reason 7500 came to mind. Think I have read/heard that somewhere but wouldn't bet my house on it :)

-Eirik-
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I'd say it'll be around 6,500 or so, which is fine for us.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

They haven't really added any more capacity but rather just have a new stand!
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

I think it adds just a little bit, but nothing massive. A few extra 100 or something. But it will make the ground look far better. Im quite excited by it all.
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

Looks like I am way off again :) Oh well 6500 is not to bad I guess. More than enough at the moment...

-Eirik-
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Wubble U »

numpte wrote:Anyone know what the final capacity will be once the Grandstand is complete. I note this week the Pop side has gone up 500 due to a strengthened wall.

Presumably this will be added to the final capacity.

6000, 6500, 7000...more

Is it just me or does it seem a little silly that strengthening the wall addds 500 to the capacity.
It's not like we're all standing on top of it! :|