Our biggest loss of the summer..

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Our biggest loss of the summer..

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Is looking more and more like Mr Guy Branston. I can't recall many games last season where we looked so bad at the back.

Can we have him back?

:(
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I think so Nick. Branno is having a mare at Bradford and for many of the goals that they have conceded this season he has looked really slow and sluggish BUT i don't believe he has the same level of confidence and understanding with the other members of the back four there. I believe that with us he really fitted in and got along well with the likes of Robo, Nico and Ellis and it showed on the pitch. Branno has looked woefully pedestrian on many of the goals i have seen the Bantams concede this season but on many it is due to being exposed and out of position because of the lack of cover and poor play by those around him. Admittedly he has been skinned a few times when a striker has injected a burst of speed down the wing but that was never Brannos strong point anyway and we all Know that. Of the players that left in the summer, Branston was the biggest loss for me. Bevan is so average that he is not even missed, Zebs i never really rated and didn't mind him going. Robinson and Stanley not signing were a huge disappointment as was Stevens re-signing! :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Well from what I saw of Branston when we played them two weeks agoit was probably a lucky let off for us that he signed for Bradford.very very slow and should have been red carded in the first five minutes but the ref was bloody useless and let him get away withg murder. To be honest he looked good for you last season but perhaps it is a case of one season too many now. As regards Bevan all I can say is thankyou very much.he has made some out of this world saves and as far as I am concerned is one of the best in this Division and the same goes for Zebs.He was outstanding yesterday on the wing and Morecombe just couldnt play him. Certainly looks like he is coming right into form now.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Bevs is one of thoose keepers, he makes world class saves. But then at other times he makes a massive mistake and it will cost you big time. Same as any keeper i know but i still rate the guy. Im glad we have found a decent replacment who i still think is better.

Zebs is zebs, hes very hit or miss but when he is on form, noone will stop him. Main reason we did so well last season and why buckle wanted him so badly.

We had a bad week and it happends in football.
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

no doubt that branno had something special here, if he had stayed i think he would of continued in a similar vein to last season for us, but saying tht he's like 34 now? he's always going to be deteriorating as his body starts to pack in abit - which is why he should of stayed with us and a back 4 who know him and he knows to help each other out and know each others weaknessess. he is given far to much to do at badford and when u havnt got that same kinda understanding with your back 4 its gonna be tough.
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
lexusguy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by lexusguy »

I see Branston was dropped last Saturday, but Bradford still lost !
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Robiberto22 wrote:no doubt that branno had something special here, if he had stayed i think he would of continued in a similar vein to last season for us, but saying tht he's like 34 now? he's always going to be deteriorating as his body starts to pack in abit - which is why he should of stayed with us and a back 4 who know him and he knows to help each other out and know each others weaknessess. he is given far to much to do at badford and when u havnt got that same kinda understanding with your back 4 its gonna be tough.
Yes. What works in one situation is not necessarily repeatable in another.

But maybe it is early days to conclude that Guy Branston is a failure at Bradford. The same obviously applies to Buckle and his retinue of TUFC poached pirates.

One can only hope.... :devil:

A team is the sum of its parts and the contribution of individuals is often as easy to overestimate as it is to under estimate.

I tend to think that last season was the Picklers swansong. I would rather have Mark Ellis, and I would be playing him.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Surely it would have been the grandstand had they remembered to take it.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

yellow wrote: The same obviously applies to Buckle and his retinue of TUFC poached pirates.
Bravo.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Sometimes players just work at clubs. Branston worked for Torquay, his career is chequered and he's invariably failed when he's been at a 'bigger club'. His best 3 spells coming for Rotherham, Kettering and Torquay. This club was perfect for Branston and he was perfect for us. I don't know but Plainmoor always looks a narrow and smaller pitch than most (that might not be actually true) but if it is it'll be easier for him to play on, with less room for his lack of pace to be exposed.

With him in the side against a long ball side we'd barely ever lose, now we just get dominated by them. Would love another loan spell to come about he could still have a huge role to play for us.

He's made a massive mistake going there.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

The trouble is that most of the teams in this division play long ball so I can certainly see why branston would be useful to anybody as he is an absolute beast in the air (just very slow with it) .We have improved 100% since we brought Bolger into the middle of our defence. Our main problem,I believe ,this season will be our inability to beat sides at the Mem. Most games we go a goal behind and then fear letting ina second (which we did against you) and therefore start hoofing it rather than staying with a passing game. If we can overcome this then we will do well,if not, a mid table position beckons. I certainly wouldnt have liked to see Virgo and Branston together though!!!
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Johhny Rudge

Post by Father Jack »

royalgull wrote:Sometimes players just work at clubs. Branston worked for Torquay, his career is chequered and he's invariably failed when he's been at a 'bigger club'. His best 3 spells coming for Rotherham, Kettering and Torquay. This club was perfect for Branston and he was perfect for us. I don't know but Plainmoor always looks a narrow and smaller pitch than most (that might not be actually true) but if it is it'll be easier for him to play on, with less room for his lack of pace to be exposed.

With him in the side against a long ball side we'd barely ever lose, now we just get dominated by them. Would love another loan spell to come about he could still have a huge role to play for us.

He's made a massive mistake going there.
I understand its now about 2 foot narrower each side this season to allow for sufficient room in front of the grandstand for the demolition :nod:
Arse! Drink!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Our biggest loss of the summer . . . . . .

Paul Buckle ?

I should not have written that. :slap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Trojan 67 wrote:Our biggest loss of the summer . . . . . .

Paul Buckle ?

I should not have written that. :slap:
Indeed Trojan, i compare the loss of Buckle to Torquay with the day i lost my cherry, oh the feeling of joy and relief, i think the day Buckle went should be named P.B day and celebrated with a public holiday, street parties and the favourite drink of man.magners :clap:
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Paul Buckle? Torquay's loss was Bristol's gain perhaps, but then, an even more massive gain for the Gulls in Martin Ling, as will be seen over the season.

But favourite drink? Blackthorn, surely! :-D