Cheeky Git!!

General chat about anything else goes here.
crazyfool
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek 'The Dude'

Cheeky Git!!

Post by crazyfool »

Ok ... so this isn't related to our club. In fact it's not even Torquay related, but I guess I'm ok sticking this on here.

I'm after a little bit of advice if anyone can help.

We moved out of our last rented property in August after being in the flat for over 3 years. After a couple of weeks we finally got hold of the landlord who wasn't very helpful in regards to the return of our deposit. A couple of e-mails later and it turns out that he is claiming that he wants approx £2000 from us!! :O The basis of his claim is mostly mould aound windows and on small areas of different walls. There is also a couple of areas such as skirting boards/door frames that he claims were damaged, but we are saying they have just experienced normal wear and tear.

Our landlord has sent us a copy of an invoice he claims is for the work done. We can't find any record of this company on the internet. The company is a Ltd company according name. Also oddly within the company name Development is spelt Devolpment!!! :?

This looks like it's going to end up in the small claims court.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation or have any ideas where we can go with this??
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

His claim seems to be quite fishy, as you rightly point out, a company with an incorrect spelling is suspicious, so I would look at a possible fraud offence here. You could try Companies House, you might find records of the company there to see if it's genuine, if it is you could contact them to see if they have any record of such a job.

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/8340b ... ompanyInfo

Good luck, sounds like the worst kind of landlord.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

I would go to the Citizens Advice Bureau who should be able to point you in the right direction.

£2k is an awful lot of money for some cosmetic repairs that may or may not be your responsibility. That must surely be subject to the terms of your original written agreement/contract.

Mould round windows due to what? Poor ventilation doesn t sound like your problem.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
crazyfool
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek 'The Dude'

Post by crazyfool »

Thanks for the replies guys.

That companies house link is really helpful. I've found a similar sounding company name, as the one that apparently carried out the work, registered at the same address as the invoice. I'm pretty sure the invoice is bogus, but it's just having evidence to prove this in court if need be.

And the landlord is claiming the mould has been caused by us due to us not ventilating the property as we should have. We are disputing this and saying that even though we had doors and windows open the problems still developed. The couple in the flat upstairs have been experiencing similar probems with another flat he owns.

Another trip to CAB might be a good suggestion. We've been once and they were helpful, but we just need to work out where we go with this now.

Anyway ... there's a football match on tonight, so something more exicitng to concentrate on!!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I'm so glad it was of help to you, fingers crossed you are successful in getting some kind of satisfaction, keep us posted.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com