Triallists?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Hmmm, I saw Atieno's name on the givemefootball list, but for some reason had it in my head that he'd already signed up somewhere else.

In his career he's had one semi-successful season at Tamworth after being on the fringe of things at Walsall. But since then he's led a very nomadic existence with little success. I think he's a fairly big lad (I think it's him behind Taylor in the old training gear in the picture of the training), but never seen him play.

Like CP Gull said, this is classic trialist fare. Any player who is proven will turn their nose up at a trial out of disrespect. Anyone who was relatively active last season would expect to have been signed up on their merits, not to require an audition. Let's face it, Trialists are either going to be youngsters, long term injury recoveree's, journeymen or players who are unknown or have been off the radar.

That said, it's not impossible that they can come good. There must have been something in Atieno to make Luton and Stevenage go in for him even if it didn't work out. But I'm not expecting much if we do end up signing this type of player - he ain't no Zebs!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I would much rather go for a proven prolific goal scorer even if from a lower level. We need an out and out marksman,hard to find, but they are out there. Who recommended Eunan O'Kane? Must be a prolific irish player somewhere! Have we got an Irish scout?
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Perhaps the same person who recommended Michael Smith to us from Ireland.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

portugull wrote:I would much rather go for a proven prolific goal scorer even if from a lower level. We need an out and out marksman,hard to find, but they are out there. Who recommended Eunan O'Kane? Must be a prolific irish player somewhere! Have we got an Irish scout?
The bloke that brought O'Kane in went with Buckle. Think they have signed an Irish fullback since.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Don't know anything about Taiwo but just read that he is training with the lads for a few weeks and that he may be someone we can sign. Has anybody seen the guy play or anybody know what style of player he is? Cheers.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

I thought John Milton was the scout, I don't think it's ever been clear if he joined buckle or stayed here?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

He hasn't joined Buckle and he isn't here.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Southampton Gull wrote:He hasn't joined Buckle and he isn't here.
:O

Well the second bit doesn't come as any surprise but the first bit does! I would have thought he would have been playing a big part in getting all these deals done for Buckle.

Shame, as it doesn't look like we will be using his services in the future, I imagine Martin Ling will have his own way of doing things and it's not as though it's the norm for TUFC to employ the services of a Chief Scout anyway.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I don't think he needs to be travelling up the M5 on a daily basis at his time of life, but he has a few offers to consider, a lot further up the ladder than us as well. I hope he is offered something by us, he really has an eye for a player.
Dave

JakeGull
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Nicholson

Post by JakeGull »

Ling has his Scottish connections though from his time there, new keeper looked handy and he knew him from there so hopefully he has a few players up his sleeve and i have no doubt he is working hard trying to get people in
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Southampton Gull wrote:He hasn't joined Buckle and he isn't here.
Well obviously he hasn't joined Buckle, hence why he's only signing players he knows from his time with us! Imagine if we hadn't had Milton - we'd still be in the conference with a squad full of City rejects!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

PhilGull wrote: Well obviously he hasn't joined Buckle, hence why he's only signing players he knows from his time with us! Imagine if we hadn't had Milton - we'd still be in the conference with a squad full of City rejects!

It's a point I've been making for most of his tenure, Phil.
Dave

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

A Plymouth fan told me that they had sacked Rory Patterson. He didn't do that well there but I'd rather see someone like him than the trialist mentioned. Think he may have played with O'Kane at Coleraine as well.

NB - Just read he is linked with guess who? Bristol Rovers...f**king Buckle!
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

I cannot believe no-one has snapped up Curtis Osano yet since Rushden went into oblivion - he'd be a perfect replacement for Robbo, should he depart.
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

Apparently Martin Horsell is on trial at Yeovil. Remember him?