Plainmoor Trip for the first time

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ROI2Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Gary Nelson

Plainmoor Trip for the first time

Post by ROI2Gull »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but have followed the trials and tribulations of your club with interest (mid-nineties).Indeed it was Gary Nelsons Season Diary of "left foot in the Grave" that converted me to support Torquay Utd. Aside from a few family Holiday trips in the 80's, the support has never strectched further than the TV remote - a bit tricky to get to home games, being based in County Meath, Ireland ! Please forgive me if I'm not a die-hard !

While the family objective is to set-up seasoned Holiday trips, my personal (selfish objective) is to let off a bit of steam and go to a few local games. I'm looking to make my first (hopefully of many) visits to Plainmoor over the coming season and on this basis I'm asking you, the local die-hard fans to tell me why I should visit Plainmoor and the general Torbay region. You may well say, "get in touch with the Tourist board" and yes I will do but for the meantime your valued, local advice and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck for the season ahead - Let's be positive !!
united09
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by united09 »

Welcome to the site mate and hopefully Plainmoor this season! Am sure you will have a great time over here. What games are you thinking about coming to?
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Welcome ROI2Gull. I'm not the best person to ask as i too have never been to Plainmoor for a home game and i have been supporting them for 6 years!! So you are not on your own there. I go to 75% of away games though and am a regular in the singing sections of away ends up and down the country. I'm to get to Plainmoor for my first ever home game vs Macclesfield on 3rd of September and i too would like some advice from the Plainmoor faithful about where is best to stand/sit, where to park and where is best for a drink. I know the popside has some terracing down one side of the ground and is where all the singers go but i'll probably feel intimidated going in there amongst you die hard regulars thinking, 'Who is this bloke, i ain't never seen him in this bit of the ground before'. So i might plump for the seats behind the goal as there always seems to plenty of space when i see highlights of games on telly. Anyway, i think i speak for myself and the OP when i say we would appreciate your advice fellow yellows!! Incidentally i have actually been to Plainmoor on a few occasions whilst down on holiday to visit the club shop but never tied my holidays in with a home game yet. Well at least i've been to Plainmoor more times than many Man U fans have been to Old Trafford! Hey, i've even been to Old Trafford more times than most Man U fans.........once, in the play off final! :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

The singers on the Pop would be more than happy to see you there with them Andy, as well as RO12. You'll probably recognise most of them from away games anyway.

You'll find a fair few of us on here are always happy to meet up with other members new and old in Boots prior to the game. When you're planning on going down just send me a pm and we can arrange to meet up and introduce you to other members.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
ROI2Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Gary Nelson

Post by ROI2Gull »

Silkmen "should" be guaranteed 3pts.

Would be great to get to the Crawley game on the 20th of August. Realistically it will start on Nov 19th to take in the Plymouth game and will take it from there. If I could have my way a game a month - beggers can't be choosers though !!

Cheers Southampton Gull.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Cheers for that Southampton, thats really good of you. I planned to introduce myself at the pub you were all going to prior to the Rotherham away game last season but my mate decided to come with me last minute and he didn't fancy it ( sorry guys no offence!). I do generally go to a lot of games on my own anyway unless i can convince a mate whos not doing owt that it will be a right laugh and a superb day out. Its a bit hard doing that now though after one mate actually made the Accrington away trip with me when we lost 1-0, Ellis got sent off, the game was pants, Accrington was pants and it rained. That'll teach him!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
united09
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by united09 »

You will have no problem in the popside. The pub to go to would be Boots and laces attached to the ground. The Best peroid to be down would be for the home game against Plymouth game but also the christmas a new year peroid when we have games at home against Swindon, Oxford and Plymouth away but I doubt you would want to be away from home in that period. If you have anymore questions just ask as people on here are normally happy to help.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Anybody who is prepared to admit in public that they are a Torquay United fan is welcome here, dude.

I have a rule that anybody who utters the phrase "true fan", "real supporter" or combination thereof has their personal details forwarded to ferrarilover with a note reading "this person needs some stalking". Let that be a lesson to them.

Hell, I live in the States and I annoy people all the time with my TUFC-based pronouncements, as evidenced in my <BlatantPlug>Various Podcast Appearances</BlatantPlug>

Also, having been on plenty of away trips in the past, the vast majority of our mob are very approachable. Some of them are even girls!
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

happytorq wrote:
Also, having been on plenty of away trips in the past, the vast majority of our mob are very approachable. Some of them are even girls!
Bloody hell mate - poor old "Super Nicky Wroe" has got feelings you know mate, even if he is from up North.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

If he's from the North, he clearly doesn't count :)

Well, can't count. same thing.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Southampton Gull wrote:The singers on the Pop would be more than happy to see you there with them Andy, as well as RO12. You'll probably recognise most of them from away games anyway.

You'll find a fair few of us on here are always happy to meet up with other members new and old in Boots prior to the game. When you're planning on going down just send me a pm and we can arrange to meet up and introduce you to other members.
And they don't just come in Boots. Sometimes it's those little Galoshes. or zip up tartan slippers with a bobble on the end.
Go on Dave. Buy him a Mangers when he comes over
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Mangers, Managers or Magners? :)
Dave

happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

Southampton Gull wrote:Mangers, Managers or Magners? :)
We'd have to be Away for a Manger.

Sorry.

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

At Rovers?
Dave

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Southampton Gull wrote:At Rovers?
Well Dave. I think that if your at Rovers it will have to be a managers. lol
If we ever play away in Far eastern Europe. Israel. it will have to be a manger
But as all with all the luck we will get here. you will have to settle for a magners. lol :lol:
Makes up for all the phone numbers you don't get passed on from Happytorq. With your luck it would be 118 118
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843