Your worst ever XI

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Another local buhy made good is Mark ("Smudger") Smith, son of former United player Harry ("Smudger") Smith.

A sample of more local buhys (at random and in no particular order) who have pulled on the TUFC first team shirt . . . Ernie Pym, John Evans, Ben Murphy, Brad Beattie, Derek Fowler, Gary Wright . . .

None of the above have appeared in the "Worst XI". Why ?

Cos they is local buhys and us local buhys defends and blows the trumpet when they can't or won't blow it 'emselves. :nod:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

exilegull wrote:I think the team that played at Barnsley in our league 1 season must be a good shout for most hopeless team performance ever.

A few randoms
Paul jarvie gk
Nick mckoy cm
Les afful rw
Jamal Easter cf
Richard hancox - especially at rochdale

A few comments on other names
Alan connell - really worst ever? Thought the guy was decent, scored double figures in a poor side in an injury hit season.
Mamadou sow - never got fit or adapted to league 2 but does anybody remember us beat shrewsbury 2-1 at plainmoor for or first win of 05/06? The guy was awesome for 45 mins before being subbed at half time.
Lee Andrews - controversial here. With the ball at his feet granted he made branno look like pele but actually in a very poor side I thought he was a solid defensive right back and was especially good at covering agaisnt breaks when we were on the attack. Would take him over Anthony Lloyd every time.
Carl priso - how would anybody know? He could have been romario with a gammy toe

was there that day and didnt i know it! :Oops:

we were dire.

jarvie couldnt catch a cold on a frosty day in the artic!

the forums team would have performed better!

got so much stick about us afterwards - from wife and kids (sat in the home end) on the way home and then to really

stick the boot in, all round town from my " mates" on saturday night! :'( :@ :Oops:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

A J
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by A J »

Here's mine and some of the reasons behind the choices. A couple I put in (like Leon), because they were so dissapointing.

GK - Martin Rice - Sorry, but never had any confidence in him in any games.
DR - Paul Holmes (2nd spell) - Slow and and his crosses ended up in the roof most of the time.
DL - Alex Lawless - Just never rated him at all, seemed such a weak player (although done well in the Blue Square).
CB - Martin McNeil - A bus could turn quicker.
CB - Matt Villis - Non-League player all the way.
MC - Nick McCoy - Just....I have no words to describe how crap he was.
MC - Matt Hewlett - So one-paced was un-real. Made Nicky Wroe look fast!
MC - Gary Brabin - That elbow against Exeter was rock bottom - a woeful 2-0 defeat at home.
FC - Habib Sissoko - Worst player I have ever seen in a yellow shirt (for the money he was payed). LAZY!
FC - Leon Constantine - Great on loan, then when signed permanent for our record fee - a big dissapointment.
FC - Jamal Easter - Shocking.
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

C'mon every crap XI should have Jean Pierre Simb, he was basically a retard. Though when he scored a goal and celebrated by high fiving every kid in the stadium it was a lovely moment.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

There is a distinct lack of Tyrone Thompson in this thread.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

bobby93 wrote:There is a distinct lack of Tyrone Thompson in this thread.
thats because he was a reasonably good player
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by TUFC92 »

kingsgull wrote: thats because he was a reasonably good player
:lol:

Oh sorry, you were serious? :slap:
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

I can't stand by and have Jean Pierre Simb attacked. Sure he had the finishing ability of Gary Neville with his laces tied together, and the only goal he scored was an open goal that he nearly missed, but for his enthusiasm, occassional touches of brilliance, and above all that box-to-box dribble to set up Eifion Williams' first goal I think we should exclude him from the worst 11 players to EVER play for Torquay. For strikers I think Richardson, Donaldson, Sissoko and IMO Logan get the nod ahead of him.

He did incidentally score another goal in a charity/testimonial match when the 4 foot tall Hearald Express sports writer hoofed a clearance into his face. He didn't celebrate that one quite so much.

I'd also like to jump on the Alan Connell appreciation bandwagon - before injury I thought he looked a good goal threat, even stuck a fiver on him being the league's leading scorer.

Of those suggested so far I think Rice, Villis, Camara, Hewlett and Brabin are definites.

I'm loving the nostalgia of this thread, will have to give the best 11 a better read.
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Trojan 67 wrote:Another local buhy made good is Mark ("Smudger") Smith, son of former United player Harry ("Smudger") Smith.

A sample of more local buhys (at random and in no particular order) who have pulled on the TUFC first team shirt . . . Ernie Pym, John Evans, Ben Murphy, Brad Beattie, Derek Fowler, Gary Wright . . .

None of the above have appeared in the "Worst XI". Why ?

Cos they is local buhys and us local buhys defends and blows the trumpet when they can't or won't blow it 'emselves. :nod:

Remember playing against Brad Beattie in the Torbay Pioneer U14/15s back in the early/mid 70's. Kingsteignton YC v Torre Trojans was always a lively affair up at Sandygate. I was a very limited right half/wing for the Kings and and we actually won the league and cup one year although I didn't play in the final at Plainmoor. He didn't seem to do much at Torquay though, not that I remember anything from his time at Plainmoor TBH. I am still thinking about worst players and there were a few signed on from the mass trials at the racecourse a few years ago that should spring to mind. Let me think :-/
Oblivion!!!!
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Bigman wrote:I can't stand by and have Jean Pierre Simb attacked. Sure he had the finishing ability of Gary Neville with his laces tied together, and the only goal he scored was an open goal that he nearly missed, but for his enthusiasm, occassional touches of brilliance, and above all that box-to-box dribble to set up Eifion Williams' first goal I think we should exclude him from the worst 11 players to EVER play for Torquay. For strikers I think Richardson, Donaldson, Sissoko and IMO Logan get the nod ahead of him.

He did incidentally score another goal in a charity/testimonial match when the 4 foot tall Hearald Express sports writer hoofed a clearance into his face. He didn't celebrate that one quite so much.
I can't believe anyone could consider putting the Simbster in their worst XI! Sure he looked a bit like Shaft, but he was certainly one of our better foreign imports - up their with Morike Sako for me. I only wish I had been there for his goal and celebration!

Having said that about Sissoko (and I put him in my worst XI) - I do remember being at a home game against Blackpool (When Eifion scored 2 goals in injury time for us to win 3-2...this game in fact - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 898599.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;-), where Habib scored a cracking volley. Didn't do much else though!
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

TUFC92 wrote: :lol:

dont think sarcasm suits you....did say he was a REASONABLY good player..had some good games for us (and some bad admittedly) but def not worthy of this thread...

Oh sorry, you were serious? :slap:
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Staffsgull1 wrote:I remember the Mansfield game, Priso was particularly inept, but I was also at the terrible Barnsley game and we were so depleted that our centre back partnership that day was Matt Hockley and Brian mcglinchey. Anthony Pulis was subbed after about 30 minutes, and I'll never understand how he stayed on the pitch so long.

The same season we played Tranmere away and remember that being as bad, we were missing Alex Russell and had the most anonymous Midfield which i've just looked up as Boardley, Woodman and Gosling. Other slightly older players worth a mention are full backs Dudley Lewis and Sean Hankin, the mysterious Alan Hay, goalkeeper Mathew Lowe, centreforward John Muir, and then there were the likes of Ollie Morah, Bruno Merellies, Osvaldo Lopes that disappeared without trace very quickly.

We got hammered away at Halifax a few years ago, that was really bad, most of that team should be in the squad.
I always thought Merellies looked quite a promising player. I think if we had persevered he might have become a good player.
nicktufc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Euuuuuuuunan

Post by nicktufc »

Lee Andrews features in A LOT of your worst XI's

He was terrible, good call
popsider
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Billy Kee

Post by popsider »

Mickey Evans got to be worth a shout? And James Bitner & Martin Horsell.
Torquay United. Today, Tomorrow, forever.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

I think your being harsh on Horsell. He was young with no experience thrust into the team because we had nobody else. He showed decent potential, probably not at League level, but feels harsh saying worst ever. Completely agree about Evans though, was absolutely terrible for us.