Martin Ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
doogull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: E. O kane

Post by doogull »

[quote="ferrarilover"]And sorry to go back to this, especially since my own mother has started a far more relevant thread, but SCOTTY, the level of achievement relative to my pre-season expectations are wholly irrelevant.
Achievement isn't measured against the expectation of the fans, or anyone else. The achievement of finishing 7th after 46 games is of equal merit regardless of any factor one can name, income, wages, size of squad etc.

Matt.

Thanks to the Orient fan for his views, good to have it confirmed, once again, that, given reasonable circumstances and not a bloody circus, Mr Ling is a decent manager at L2/1 level.[/quote]

why did anyone need someone else to confirm he is a decent manager simple homework and understanding of league football was enough for me, I still can't fathom that some people seem to think the board have made a mistake.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

You say this Doo, but there is nothing quite like the experience of those who know him best.

One could read a books about the Pyramids of Egypt for 1000 years, but he would still not be able to describe the smell of the air or the texture of the sand.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
doogull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by doogull »

yes maybe but we have spent too much time ripping the decision apart now don't you think?
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

ferrarilover wrote:You say this Doo, but there is nothing quite like the experience of those who know him best.

One could read a books about the Pyramids of Egypt for 1000 years, but he would still not be able to describe the smell of the air or the texture of the sand.

Matt.

Totally unrelated to the thread title, but relevant to a post elsewhere . . . . . .

(8) Was that the smell of desert air ? Or the texture of the sand ?

Or Bartlett's ghostly bell a ringing in 'is 'and.

They won't forget o' Bartlett (Diamond Girl and Fiat lover)

He rung the loudest bell in the land (8) . . . . . . :rofl:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

doogull wrote:yes maybe but we have spent too much time ripping the decision apart now don't you think?
I certainly haven't, read back through the thread, I'm all for Dinger. It was not to his disgrace that former fans came on here to give us the benefit of their experiences.

Perhaps you'd share with us your insights into his style and talents?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
doogull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by doogull »

if you look through the threads on Martin Ling I have shared my thoughts on him which are positive also on the board member thread and as I have mentioned before he has an extensive knowledge of english and scottish football if I remeber rightly he set up hibernians scouting network so he is a very handy man indeed also his style of play will be ajoy to behold as he is from a very good stock and has worked with some very good managers in his time including glenn hoddle having looked at the candidates that we know about he is the best in my opinion as we need someone to get to work straight away and know what he is doing, and his knowledge of the lower leagues will be very usefull.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

"Dinger" (Ling) born in West Ham.

I wonder ?

West Ham brings back memories of players John Smith, John Bond, Ken Brown, Bill Kitchener, Tony Scott, Stuart Morgan, Bob Glozier . . . .

Almost forgot Frank O'Farrell.

John Smith, of course, besides being real smooth, also played for Leyton Orient.

If Dinger can create an era to match that then I will be well pleased. :bow:
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Not to mention Leroy. He was a Hammer too. Seems to be true what they about 'The Academy'. Kepp the ball on the carpet, that'll do for me.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

doogull wrote:if you look through the threads on Martin Ling I have shared my thoughts on him which are positive also on the board member thread and as I have mentioned before he has an extensive knowledge of english and scottish football if I remeber rightly he set up hibernians scouting network so he is a very handy man indeed also his style of play will be ajoy to behold as he is from a very good stock and has worked with some very good managers in his time including glenn hoddle having looked at the candidates that we know about he is the best in my opinion as we need someone to get to work straight away and know what he is doing, and his knowledge of the lower leagues will be very usefull.
Have you ever heard of a full stop? Struggled to hold my breath long enough to read your post!!! :nod:
crazyfool
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek 'The Dude'

Post by crazyfool »

If it wasn't for that comma near the end I reckon you wouldn't have made it through!!! :)
doogull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by doogull »

sorry teacher
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

No problem :slap:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Fonda wrote:Not to mention Leroy. He was a Hammer too. Seems to be true what they about 'The Academy'. Kepp the ball on the carpet, that'll do for me.

Oops, :Oops:I forgot Leroy. :Oops:

Although I don't support West Ham, I have a soft spot for 'em 'cause my dad was an 'ammer, took me to Wembley to see the 'ammers beat Fulham 2-0 in the 1975 FA Cup Final.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 57,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Intresting read to see what Mr Ling is planning in the transfer market.
Looks like Danny Stevens and Joe Oastler are on his list to keep at the club.

He wants at least 2 people per position

With 2 keepers, 4 full backs, 4 centre backs, 4 wingers, 4 centre mids and 4 strikers.
That would no be a bad size squad for the season

Hope he brings in well.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

tufcbrett wrote:http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 57,00.html

Intresting read to see what Mr Ling is planning in the transfer market.
Looks like Danny Stevens and Joe Oastler are on his list to keep at the club.

He wants at least 2 people per position

With 2 keepers, 4 full backs, 4 centre backs, 4 wingers, 4 centre mids and 4 strikers.
That would no be a bad size squad for the season

Hope he brings in well.
yeah, i just ready that too. i think the guy is switched on, knows what he wants and what he needs to do. i'm looking forward to seeing the results.
Brady

I Wish I Was There