Martin Ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Warwickgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: HOWE

Post by Warwickgull »

jwills61 wrote:You asked if i had seen the budget , i said no , and took a educated guess... what more do you want...
Just make some sh*t up and refer to it as the facts, thats what most do on here! :~D
Everybody has a photographic memory, some people just dont have film.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

To fair,i think it was nice for the Cambridge fan to come along and try atleast to give us a fair and level headed view point on M.Ling.

As far as there budget whilst i do not know,i remember them slashing there budget after they lost to us in the play-final,so i should imagine jWills is not far wrong,even if it was a guess.
Formerly known as forevertufc
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

stefano wrote:Not a bad appointment at all. His playing and managing / career so far will have given him the vital contacts needed to operate on our level of budget and he has a proven record of success at League 2 level.

He is our manager now so let's welcome him and show him our support.
well said stefano,come on guys give the man a chance to prove himself,so ling him alone :lol:
CUFCFAN2
Trialist
Trialist

Post by CUFCFAN2 »

Hi Torquay fans, Been reading a few of the posts and thought i'd give my view on the appointment and right a few wrongs ;-) Firstly though I agree mostly with what JWills is saying his info on the budget side is wrong. He his correct in saying we had a smaller budget than Crawley, Fleetwood and the other huge spenders, but Ling himself admitted he had a top 8 budget. When you think that, AFC aside, the top had massive budgets that dwarf most clubs in L2 and in Crawley and Fleetwood's case most L1 sides then this is a poor comparason. Cambridge are not a poorly supported team and though the club is cutting budgets at the moment, this did not really effect Ling. The year we lost to you guys, at the time, was the largest budget the BSP had ever seen spending £22,500 a week on wages. Halfing this would still field a strong BSP team, and Ling had much more than half!

I was lucky enough to speak to Ling on many occasions due to my job and he spoke quite openly about the budget being smaller than the top 5 spending teams, but more than enough to compete. Ling also had a team that was more than good enough to be challenging in the play offs. Alot of the names you guys will recognise from your time in the BSP - Carden, Clare, Naisbitt, Gleeson, Crow etc In his second year here we had a few injury problems and had to fill in with our young players. Far from being a disaster our youngsters are fantastic players with more passion and skill than most of the first team. The problem is Ling couldn't get it out of them. His motivation skills are poor, he is tactically useless and used to blame the youngsters when they slipped up. On the upside he is a great bloke and can spot a good player. If I was a Torquay fan I would be extremely underwelmed of the appointment. Its common knowledge that Dean Smith was the brains behind Orients success and this is mirrored by the fact that Smith is doing well at Walsall and Ling was sacked by a BSP team. I know that the old land of the BSP was a horror to you but the league is 10x harder than it was even last year, let alone a couple of years ago and Ling couldn't cut it. I would seriously doubt that Ling will get you relegated, thats usually reserved for clubs in financial difficulties, however he will not get you promoted.

Very good luck in the next year to you
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

bixieupnorth wrote:i cant believe how bad most of you lot have been, its not a bad appt, similar calibre to all the other candidates, give the poor guy a chance, see who he brings in, at least hes gotta be better personality wise than that tit who's just gone!

i think someone who knows the lower leagues and conference inside out is a pretty shrewd move, he must have loads of contacts and will be able to pull a few strings.

he played football the right way so hopefully he'll have us keeping it on the floor for the whole 90 mins, rather than the buckle hoof when plan a failed
agree mate.

at the end of the day if he does well great.

if he does s**t he will get fired - just like any other manager
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

holsten
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by holsten »

Hope this bloke does the business, and all we can do is get behind him.

Buckle had no real track record when he came to us, and Ling did well at Orient their fans seem to think.

Good luck!
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by andygull »

Having read a few of the posts by cambridge fans i just hope Lings alleged tendency to slate young players who aren't performing isn't true cos we have lots of them and they need nurturing not made to be scared of kicking a football.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Sorry Wills, my 'what did I ask' joke was meant to follow on immediately from your first post, sadly, your time spent with John Wayne made you just slightly too quick on the draw.

CUFC, thanks for the post. My only real comment is that we don't regard our time in the BSP as a horror, we are in the fortunate position that we can look back on it with fondness. We got to visit some grounds which, otherwise we may not have done, and we had some great times.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
luke97
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: kevin hill

Post by luke97 »

OK who lasts longest, I would have a decnet whack of my cash that Martin Ling is here longer than Paul Buckle is at BRFC. Give the guy a chance, Branston was always leaving regardless (money being the only reason), he said as much himself in an interview not long after the regular season finished.

Lets see who he brings in, abd how they fit in the what we already have.

We're Torquay, we're poor, but we will try
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I keep reading the word "underwhelmed" to describe the appointment of M.Ling ,underwelmed in comparison to what,Forster and Huhges were top of the fans poll,i am going to assume that if either was interviewed it went no further,as many have suggested that today it came down to Ling and Baraclough.

Its likey that the harsh reality of what Torquay united could offer in terms of wages and budget's may not have met thee expectations of both Huhges and Forster,hench the reason it appears to have come down to the list of two,Ling and Baraclough.

This is were i have a problem with the use of the word underwhelmed,both had a similar playing career path,yet Ling has 295 games under his belt in management,Baraclough just 36,with 8 wins and 22 defeats,and many Scunny fans suggesting he was out of his depth.

What i am saying is if it came down for whatever reason to just Ling and Baraclough being left in the running,then how can we be underwhelmed,were Huhges and Forster rejected by the club,or did they pull out of the running, this we do not know as of yet.
B,T,W,all stats i have used tonight were taken from wiki so please forgive me if any are incorrect.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

forevertufc wrote:I keep reading the word "underwhelmed" to describe the appointment of M.Ling ,underwelmed in comparison to what,Forster and Huhges were top of the fans poll,i am going to assume that if either was interviewed it went no further,as many have suggested that today it came down to Ling and Baraclough.

Its likey that the harsh reality of what Torquay united could offer in terms of wages and budget's may not have met thee expectations of both Huhges and Forster,hench the reason it appears to have come down to the list of two,Ling and Baraclough.

This is were i have a problem with the use of the word underwhelmed,both had a similar playing career path,yet Ling has 295 games under his belt in management,Baraclough just 36,with 8 wins and 22 defeats,and many Scunny fans suggesting he was out of his depth.

What i am saying is if it came down for whatever reason to just Ling and Baraclough being left in the running,then how can we be underwhelmed,were Huhges and Forster rejected by the club,or did they pull out of the running, this we do not know as of yet.
B,T,W,all stats i have used tonight were taken from wiki so please forgive me if any are incorrect.

dont think that there are many on here dave in a "forgiving" mood........... 8/ =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

Interesting points made by the Cambridge fans. Who are we to argue you with them. The only hope I have of Ling being successful is if he's learnt from his past mistakes, time will tell if he's as arrogant as some people have suggested him to be.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

mlw wrote:Hector
I am assuming you do actually have a brain. If this is the case use it to think before you post such a load of ill considered twaddle
He was interviewed today. Did the board do their research? It is a valid point. It is not ill considered. In fact quite the opposite. It is considering Ling's record that makes me think it is a very poor appointment.

Why is that twaddle?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:
dont think that there are many on here dave in a "forgiving" mood........... 8/ =D
:lol: yes indeed Chris, just trying to get the point across that we the fans do not know who the club accualy had to choose from in the end,i think i might have laboured it now,so will shut the f..up before i get slapped :)
doogull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: E. O kane

Post by doogull »

getting pretty f@@*ed off with this notion that ling is not good enough for us, for christ sake we are a L2 club in a transtional period and he has a proven track record i league football, we can never judge until we have something to judge him for at the moment he has done nothing wrong, he has a good nucleus of players to start from and of those seem to fit with his style of play( on the deck footie) I think he will add something to us he will bring new ideas, all those that have shot him down before he has even taken a training session are deluded and incredibly stupid to be blunt, it's like saying to a new employee at your own workplace "there rubbish" before they even take their coat off give everyone a chance you might even be suprised.