Martin Ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
bc-gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Pearce

Post by bc-gull »

AlexGulls wrote:Lets give the guy a chance. Last time he was in League Two he did very well and got Orient promoted. He struggled at Cambridge but it sounds like they werent financially great when he was there and life wasnt that easy. As has been said lets give him a chance before we start slating him. Its a shock appointment but so was Buckle...

He likes to play football like Buckle did. So thats a start we already have the players for that style of play..
And we aren't much better. I am very unhappy about this announcement and really, would've preferred Forster, Hughes, Greavies and Russell above Ling. If he can pull of some good signings, keep zebs O'kane ect. maybe we could get mid-table. But I dont see many positives with this appointment :-/
Warwickgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: HOWE

Post by Warwickgull »

tktufc91 wrote: As far as I'm concerned, your only as good as your last match. Ling may have done a good job for Leyton Orient, but his record at Cambridge is far from brilliant. They went over 4 months without a victory in late 2009, early 2010. I will fully support Martin Ling when the season gets underway and I do hope he proves me wrong.

I think we all need to worry a little less about "Cambridge Gate"

The facts are Mr Rolls the cambridge chairman at the time looks like he was responsible himself for a lot of the problems at Cambridge United. Managers dont resign after 9 days at a club unless certain important things they were told about the club, turn out to be bollox! Its worth noting Rolls lost 2 managers in 1 month from Cambridge United, and the previous manager Gary Brabin also resigned after major dissagreements with the Chairman. :scarf:
Everybody has a photographic memory, some people just dont have film.
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by BritishGAS »

I was listening to the legendary Stone Roses, and thought of you. Its just a bit of fun.

Martin Ling, Ling, Ling's sending Torquay down.....Your going down!!!!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bearne1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Zebra

Post by Bearne1 »

BritishGAS wrote:I was listening to the legendary Stone Roses, and thought of you. Its just a bit of fun.

Tend to agree with you at the moment, anything above bottom 2 would be fine..........
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

I think that you get what you can afford.... is that the same as saying you pay peanuts and you get..... lol

We're in for a tough time with our budget issues, if ML can just keep our head above water for the next two seasons (and beat Bristol Rovers of course) then it will probably be classed as a result. I do wonder what happens should the board decided it's all going wrong and the manager needs to be replaced but that would have been the case whoever we appointed. Think the board need to be pulling supporters together now with a popular assistant.

Feel really sorry for Forster he obviously wanted the job, who knows for the future
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

BritishGAS wrote:I was listening to the legendary Stone Roses, and thought of you. Its just a bit of fun.

We'll you'll probably do better than us there, your manager has a lot more conference experience thats for sure.
hellsgut
New Signing
New Signing

Post by hellsgut »

My First post....(May well be my last)...Can't believe the negativity & defeatist attitude of some of the posters on this thread. i have supported TUFC for over 40 years & over the years have heard the moaners on all sides of the ground & suspect that they are the same people as the ones whinging on here.

What is refreshing is that there are quite a few with "give him a chance" attitude.

The guy has been Manager for less than a day and allready getting it in ear from some. GIVE HIM A CHANCE !!

The board, like the rest of us want whats best for the club,with the added pressure of having to show auditors that they are running a long term sustainable busines.

Ignore what he has or hasn't done at other clubs before... because he is now the manager of our club and deserves our support....

"Torquay till I die" ...................
Bearne1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Zebra

Post by Bearne1 »

Post from a Cambridge fan makes an interesting read!

Soon after Martin Ling took over i was listening to radio Cambs about two waiting for a game to start, when some geezers did a skitt on Ling.

It was taking the p iss out of an interview.

Ling came over as thick, inarticulate, self absorbed and seriouslt seriously boring.
I was incensed and posted on the then Cambridge message board how below the belt it was.

Little did we know that he was all those things, as well as lazy and superior

In those few minutes it was clear Ling was not a manager. Now Mr Barry had the luxury of interviewing this cretin, and having the oppurtunity to research his background, all of which led to one of the biggest disasters Cambridge have ever had.

Despite all of this, and all that came before, there is not a peep of dissatisfaction from any Cambridge fans. Its a bit like Mr Hitler herding people into gas chambers....and people just walk in.

Mod edit - remove profanity, stern but fair warning sent by PM.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I am not a terminal whinger, but my (and many others') first and gut reaction was of being let down. This has been a very hard two weeks for all Gulls fans, and we needed an appointment to inspire confidence. The disappointment of our new manager being somebody who failed big time at a Blue Square club was hardly likely to inspire confidence. I will, of course, get behind the new manager and team next season. I really hope he succeeds, but please don't condemn those who were initially disappointed.
cufc4life
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: billy kee

Post by cufc4life »

Id like to say how sorry us cambridge fans feel for your foolish boards decision on bringing in the worst, football(if you can call it that) manager in martin ling!! in my 15 years as a cambridge fan ive seen alot of managers come in/out and ive got to say in all that time martin ling was the worst and his football was shocking!!! and yes us cambridge gave him a chance - 2 years, and look where he nearly took us, bsp south! im thankfull our board sacked him when they did or right now we would have been in the bsp south :/ in jez george we trust and love because he saved us from droppin out of the bsp thanks to lings shocking football and poor signings!! god bless
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Hmmm, you know, bored the other night, I watched the Sultana DVD of our first season in the BSP. As fondly and respectfully as I remember our time in that division, a very great deal of the football played (that which was shown) and the goals which were scored were, frankly, crap.
Don't get me wrong, this isn't me having a go at the BSP, some 'big club' nonsense, it's a fact. A lot of the game played down at that level is so much different (coincidentally worse) to that played in L2 that it is entirely plausible that some managers simply are not set up to manage a team at that level.

Look at the loanees we get (I appreciate this isn't a direct comparison). They're down here from miles above us, but they're never more than slightly better than what we already have.
We all know full well that if Didier Drogba came to us, he wouldn't get proportionally as many goals as he ought, because he is not equipped to play down at this level.

Equally, it would appear that, when asked to build a team capable of promotion at this level of football, Ling is more than capable, but ask him to do a similar but different job, and he fails spectacularly.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

What matters at the end of the day is how well he does for us, nothing else matters now.

Some people just fit in at some Clubs and not so at others, lets hope it's the right kind of Club for Martin Ling.

I don't have a problem with anyone being disappointed with the man chosen as I'm sure they'll all get behind him when we kick off and at least they have the opportunity to get it off their chests on here.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Never, for one moment expected the Herald Express to get the story right!!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd ... bs=results" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cambridge's results last season. Some of the defeats are damn right embarrassing. The manager of this team is who our board think is good enough to lead our club. By only interviewing him today, did they actually get time to do any research on him? Or did he just do a very good interview?

Did the board actually consider the bloke's record?
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

After the initial shock/horror of this appointment think i've calmed down now and woken up from what i thought was a bad dream but no it's reality in the words of Basil Fawlty 'maybe its a dream?....No, i guess we're stuck with it then'. He does have a good League 2 record, he does have managerial experience good and bad which i think was essential for us this time around with the job that needs to be done. Miniscule budget, we have 12 professionals left here, no keepers and one of those is out of contract in 15 or so days time also.

Simply got to hope Ling does what he did at Orient and does well for us.