whats is the matter with us

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

whats is the matter with us

Post by Dave »

I have to say I have never in 5 seasons as a member of this forum felt as disgusted as I feel now, what a totally ridiculous reaction to the appointment of our new manager.
Why is it that all but a few have decided that because he had a bad time of it at Cambridge and of course there fans are not going to like him that we seem to just take it upon ourselves to see him as a shit manger.

In six seasons as orient manger he gained a 37% win record, find me many managers across league 1,2 with a win record over six seasons like that including a play-off campaign, followed by automatic promotion.

Here is what orient fans think of our new manager, http://77.68.105.121/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 069aa820b1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wanted Nicky Forster as well, but right now we only have the Herald Express telling us he applied how do we know he actually did?, as the H/E have got an awful lot wrong these last few days.

For Christ sake he has not made a signing yet, and the team has not kicked a ball in anger ,and we are already giving the here we have another shit manager, crap ,unite behind the club and Marin Ling who is now our manager, grow some balls and support your club, and give Martin ling the chance he deserves.
Formerly known as forevertufc
mlw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by mlw »

A quality post if I may say so, Forevertufc, and that is a rarity on this forum today. My post on the "Martin Ling" thread echos many of your thoughts.
bc-gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Pearce

Post by bc-gull »

I am quite unhappy with the appointed and would have opted for others.

It seems he did do well for Leyton Orient, but comes across as another Buckle.. when things are going good, its fine, when things are going bad (our endless streak of conceding last minute) he has no plan B :-/

Still, lets make the best of it, you never know he could turn out to be one heck of a manager. Look forward and look positive :)
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Great post Forevertufc! :-D Totally agree with what you said!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I was backing the wrong man with a hefty little wager but aside from losing my cash I'm not too unhappy.

I'm not sure he's the right man but he's now our Manager and I hope the Board prove me wrong yet again by backing him up with some cash to improve the squad.

If he can reproduce what he did for Orient then we'll all be happy, first step for me now though is to make sure we stay up.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
robc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by robc »

Was your money on Barraclough Southampton?
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Forster definitely applied. There were quotes from him or his agent about pulling out of the Hayes job to focus on Torquay. Plus, his Twitter would suggest he was in the running until earlier today.

I think people are more upset with the board, rather than at Martin Ling. It's fine to highlight his success at Orient, but since then he's had a horrible time at Cambridge and it's hard to sweep that under the carpet. But I'm sure everyone will support him when the news sinks in. We hadn't had the time to discuss Ling's pros/cons until he was announced as manager. It has just taken everyone by surprise. Add this to the fact that we've lost Branston today and emotions are running pretty high.
Last edited by tommyg on 13 Jun 2011, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

When I heard that Ling was the boss, I wasn't unhappy, but more disappointed after seeing some of the names on the shortlist. His record with Orient was good, yet his record with Cambridge on a reduced budget was bad, plus seeing that they went 4 months without a victory didn't fill me with much confidence.

Added to the ticket fiasco for the play-off final, the final itself, Buckle leaving and the loss of possible loan targets, it seemed a bit of an anticlimax to me.

Having time to reflect, he's here now, and he will get my full backing from the Pop. Hopefully he has contacts and bring some good players in.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Agreed there. Lets give the guy a chance.
Bearne1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Zebra

Post by Bearne1 »

Have a friend who went to some Cambridge games with him in charge and the football was absolutely horrific............

I am also stunned by this appointment but only time will tell if he clicks, one thing for certain the style of football is somewhat different from League 2 to BSP.

Perhaps he has a plan B when it is required?

My personal opinion is that this was the cheapest option for the club, sadly we do not have pots and pots of money like some of the bigger clubs. Perhaps get yourselves off to a few friendlies during pre-season and see what style of football the team play. Voice your opinions once the season kicks off. Wait and see who he signs, you never know he may have some good contacts in the game.

The Orient fans seem to rate him very highly and some of them feel he is getting a very rude welcome!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

This to me is acually got nothing to do with his sucsess at Orient,and yes his failure at Cambridge,whats got to me is the fact the majoirty of fans on both sites seemed to have picked up on his failure at Cambridge,and using that as a stick to beat the club and Ling before he has even started life with us.

What get's me aswell is us fans keep refering to the short list,What short list?,the one in the Herald Express?Just aswell have ripped that out and wiped our arse's with it,for what it was worth,my point is we do not know who was on the short list,ok i except that Forster did apply,however did he make the short list ? This we do not know.

To me it is not about what he has done before,it is about what he can do for us,he has been sucsessful in league 2,he know's this league and what players are needed to form a sucsessful team,if he can bring that to us here,then were surely will not complain, the overriding point is,Ling has not even started his life as Torquay united manager ,so we just do not know,he might be rubbish,if he is,i will have my say.

The main thing is we all know next season is going to be tough,we know it is likely going to be fight to stay up,so the club and martin Ling are going to need our support more than ever,so lets start on the right track,and give this guy the support,so he will have atleast the chance to be sucsessful with us,which is what we all want.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Bearne1[color=#FF0000] wrote:Have a friend who went to some Cambridge games with him in charge and the football was absolutely horrific............[/color]
I am also stunned by this appointment but only time will tell if he clicks, one thing for certain the style of football is somewhat different from League 2 to BSP.

Perhaps he has a plan B when it is required?

My personal opinion is that this was the cheapest option for the club, sadly we do not have pots and pots of money like some of the bigger clubs. Perhaps get yourselves off to a few friendlies during pre-season and see what style of football the team play. Voice your opinions once the season kicks off. Wait and see who he signs, you never know he may have some good contacts in the game.

The Orient fans seem to rate him very highly and some of them feel he is getting a very rude welcome!
I take on board what you are saying there,on the flip side though,a lot of Orient fans are suggesting his style of play there was a very tidy neat passing game,so we will have to wait and see.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Well that came out of left field. But I am not that disappointed.

He had a good track record at Orient and so he ticks the right boxes for me. I can t see how the untried Forster can be considered to be a better appointment.

Martin Ling s Yellow Army... Yeh he s good to go!
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

forevertufc wrote:This to me is acually got nothing to do with his sucsess at Orient,and yes his failure at Cambridge,whats got to me is the fact the majoirty of fans on both sites seemed to have picked up on his failure at Cambridge,and using that as a stick to beat the club and Ling before he has even started life with us.

What get's me aswell is us fans keep refering to the short list,What short list?,the one in the Herald Express?Just aswell have ripped that out and wiped our arse's with it,for what it was worth,my point is we do not know who was on the short list,ok i except that Forster did apply,however did he make the short list ? This we do not know.

To me it is not about what he has done before,it is about what he can do for us,he has been sucsessful in league 2,he know's this league and what players are needed to form a sucsessful team,if he can bring that to us here,then were surely will not complain, the overriding point is,Ling has not even started his life as Torquay united manager ,so we just do not know,he might be rubbish,if he is,i will have my say.

The main thing is we all know next season is going to be tough,we know it is likely going to be fight to stay up,so the club and martin Ling are going to need our support more than ever,so lets start on the right track,and give this guy the support,so he will have atleast the chance to be sucsessful with us,which is what we all want.
Thing is some disasters you can pre-empt. When you are faced with a very difficult season you do not appoint manager who cannot buy a win. People's reaction maybe extreme but that is because it is an extremely poor appointment. You cannot ignore his recent record. It is utterly appalling. It may be more rational to wait until January to see how badly things have gone but when this appointment is like setting the lifeboats on fire.

It is done now and we just have to lump it...but let's just hope that if this does go the way that many of us fear that the board are prepared to act quickly.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

hector wrote: Thing is some disasters you can pre-empt. When you are faced with a very difficult season you do not appoint manager who cannot buy a win. People's reaction maybe extreme but that is because it is an extremely poor appointment. You cannot ignore his recent record. It is utterly appalling. It may be more rational to wait until January to see how badly things have gone but when this appointment is like setting the lifeboats on fire.

It is done now and we just have to lump it...but let's just hope that if this does go the way that many of us fear that the board are prepared to act quickly.
I understand all that,however there is to much focus on his bad record with cambridge,it did not work out for there ,but when you say he cant buy a win his record with Orient which also can not be ingnored would suggest he can,he won 82 games there from 218,that record would have probaly looked better if the wheels had not fallen off during his last season with them, and least we forgot that record was gained across league 2 and league 1.