Craig Stanley

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Gashead1979 wrote:
Even if Buckle did make an agreement with us before the play offs, nothing would have been done without your board knowing about it surely??

Everything else thats happened since has just been the norm, so still struggling to understand your anger towards us....
Haven't you got a home to go to? ;-)
nicktufc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Euuuuuuuunan

Post by nicktufc »

I'm disappointed that Stanley has gone, but not angry about it. I can 100% agree with the him wanting to go to a club with a genuine chance of promotion, and being paid far more than if he'd signed for Torquay. And he was never really outr player.

Bevan seems to have screwed us a bit, with the news that he was offered a contract and was supposedly in negotiations with the club, then signing for BRovers with no decency to let the board know that he was off.

Buckle was clearly preparing his BRovers squad for some time, AS EVERYONE WITH HALF A BRAIN CAN SEE. The blame for our situation is placed firmly at his door, for putting that doubt into the players minds at some point during the play offs.

The board also need to take some of the blame for the casual attitude towards finding a successor. It looks to me, as though we're heading for a first time manager, with no assistant, no scouts, no coaches and no expreienced head to help him. I am hoping Nicky Forster gets the job, but a normally optimistic fan is now expecting Kevin Hill to get the job, and a host of league rejects on conference wages to be brought in.

Not looking forward to next season, but if BRovers fans cannot see PB's ethics yet, then god help them when he leaves for a bigger challenge(maybe Swindon or Yeovil).
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Southampton Gull wrote:
Oh surprise surprise, you venture out again. You can save that post of mine and use it any way you please over the next few weeks, let's see who is correct.

You think we're in for a comfortable mid-table kind of season, I say you're deluded.
I agree with SG we are in for a rough season. We need to find a manager that will be cheap and there for will need a paper round to help him get by. O'Kane will look at what is going on the club WILL get an offer of 25 grand and a bag of footballs and maybe a couple of corner flags thrown in and he will be off.
Trucker49
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Trucker49 »

Oh surprise surprise, you venture out again. You can save that post of mine and use it any way you please over the next few weeks, let's see who is correct.

You think we're in for a comfortable mid-table kind of season, I say you're deluded.[/quote]

I simply suggested that the players under contract could form the core of a solid but unspectacular side in this devision if they all stay. You seem to be suggesting that some will leave, who?

If some do leave then obviously we will be weaker and would then struggle further.

Sorry but I am not a Director and do not have inside knowledge of what is going on in the boardroom. I can therefore only base my judgement on what is said publicly. If you are that convinced we will struggle and probably be relegated why don't you share some further details, if possible.

Im not saying you are wrong, just asking for further info.
Yellow isn't a colour, it's a state of mind
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by BritishGAS »

nicktufc wrote:I'm disappointed that Stanley has gone, but not angry about it. I can 100% agree with the him wanting to go to a club with a genuine chance of promotion, and being paid far more than if he'd signed for Torquay. And he was never really outr player.

Bevan seems to have screwed us a bit, with the news that he was offered a contract and was supposedly in negotiations with the club, then signing for BRovers with no decency to let the board know that he was off.

Buckle was clearly preparing his BRovers squad for some time, AS EVERYONE WITH HALF A BRAIN CAN SEE. The blame for our situation is placed firmly at his door, for putting that doubt into the players minds at some point during the play offs.

The board also need to take some of the blame for the casual attitude towards finding a successor. It looks to me, as though we're heading for a first time manager, with no assistant, no scouts, no coaches and no expreienced head to help him. I am hoping Nicky Forster gets the job, but a normally optimistic fan is now expecting Kevin Hill to get the job, and a host of league rejects on conference wages to be brought in.

Not looking forward to next season, but if BRovers fans cannot see PB's ethics yet, then god help them when he leaves for a bigger challenge(maybe Swindon or Yeovil).
That made me laugh.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Southampton Gull wrote: Oh surprise surprise, you venture out again. You can save that post of mine and use it any way you please over the next few weeks, let's see who is correct.

You think we're in for a comfortable mid-table kind of season, I say you're deluded.
It's only the capacity to be deluded that has got me through year after year of following Torquay! ;-)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

How much information do you need to either agree with my assessment or form your own which unsurprisingly contradicts mine?

You seem to have enough information at your disposal to clearly state we're in for a happy mid-table season.

I'm fully aware of the need for cutting costs, would we need to cut them nearly as much if Colin Lee wasn't given the opportunity of a lifetime, would we need to cut them so much if we had a Board that could act with some kind of pro-active desire when news of Buckle leaving became available?

Cut costs yes, cut our own throats NO. It's one cock-up after another. If the ones making the decisions at the moment can't do it properly then they need to move over and get some of the more decisive members of the Board back in control.

All the information anyone needs is there, it's blindingly obvious to anyone who is thinking clearly and not sat like a lapdog obeying blindly.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

stefano wrote:It's only the capacity to be deluded that has got me through year after year of following Torquay! ;-)

And don't they do a good job of counting on it being the way for most of us ;-)
Dave

Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

Trucker49
The players currently under contract provide a solid enough core to be comfortably mid-table in my opinion
I sincerely hope you are right.With the way things look at the moment I'd be more than happy if we could finish mid table next year.
Last Seasons squad may well have just about achieved a mid table finish. Only in the relatively latter stages when we brought in quality loan men such as Pringle,Murray,Tomlin,Stanley,Robinson etc did it transform the team into one that could push us further up the table.

Should we find that Branston gets taken out of last Seasons team too, then I think alarm bells really will start ringing.
I've no doubt that players will be brought in, just unsure if the money exists to recruit much quality.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

And because all of the half decent available players are being snapped up already!!

Got to say, today has made me feel a tad more worried about next year.
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

Southampton Gull wrote:I warned you all this would happen. Some people prefer to call it being negative, some even laugh it off as me being roped in (Jon). When all the moves are done and dusted, new "manager" installed, wait and see what your aspirations are for next season.
Why use "manager" as opposed to manager

Are we looking at a Player coach or A Managing Scout?? Or am I misunderstanding somthing?

Thanks
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Magician, Messiah, or "manager"?

Either of the former are what we need IMHO.
Dave

Trucker49
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Trucker49 »

SG I m not saying that you are wrong. I am just trying to figure out why you are being so negative. Nor am I saying that we are definitely going to be comfortable mid-table. Having supported TUFC for 20 years you learn not to make such sweeping claims. I am aware that we need to cut costs and that next season is going to be tough.

However, with seven of the regular first team under contract and with the likes of Ellis still under contract we do still, at this time, have a solid core of players. I m not trying to be antagonistic, simply trying to understand the reasons for the negativity. I am making my judgement on who is under contract and working on the assumption that none of them leave (may not end up being the case but I don t know). You are clearly basing your statement on something more than that. Just wondering what that is.

So which players are definitely leaving? Also, if we had replaced Buckle on the Monday after OT, would Stanley, Robinson, Bevan etc all have signed new contracts? No they wouldn t. There is not a chance that any of these players would have been here. That was guaranteed as soon as Buckle decided to leave in my opinion.

Like you I am appalled at the lack of professionalism and the number of errors that have been made by the current owners and the staff at Plainmoor and agree that those responsible for these mistakes need to be removed and replaced with individuals that are competent and reliable.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Couldn't agree more with your last paragraph.

If Buckle was working for us(or anyone else for that matter) we could have signed Bevan and Branston in January, offered Stanley a deal before the season ended and therefore would have been in the position of having saleable assets instead of getting nothing for any of them. Buckle stated more than once that he wouldn't discuss deals until the end of the season but surely at some point the Club realise that Buckle is off to Rovers and will look at taking some of the players we've had in our squad.
Dave

Trucker49
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Trucker49 »

A joy of not having a football man at the club I suppose. However much Colin Lee may have raped our club, he most certainly would not have sat on his hands and allowed Buckle to manipulate the situation in the way he has done. Perhaps we should try and encourage Bruce Rioch to take up a voluntary advisory role.

The problem with Stanley though is surely he would have wanted an assurance that Buckle would not move on as the rumours were there even before Stanley turned up. To get that he would have gone straight to Bucks. I don t think he was ever going to stay.

If the club knew that Bucks was going to be off as far back as January then they should have offered contracts and acted very differently. However, if they weren t sure then to have taken any action would have been dangerous. It shows that we need a football person at the club who can make footballing decisions other than the manager.

I still don t understand the extreme negativity that was suggested earlier. Yes things are not entirely rosy but we do have some very talented players under contract. I fully expect Branston to leave but again it will not be the end of the world. Whilst Ellis and Robbo are not world class they are solid enough at this level and are still improving.