Date of New Manager Appointment

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Jerry wrote:I see Fulham have a new manager this morning. By my reckoning it took them 5 days to replace Hughes, so why is it deemed acceptable for us to take over 3 weeks?
He was already interviewed last year when they tried to sign him, only to be rebuffed by his club at the time.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

If we were starting last Monday then 2 weeks to the final appointment is still a long time, given the situation we are in right now starting the season late. However, we have known for the last month that Buckle is going, and our Chairman was at the Memorial Ground before the 1st leg of the semi when the deal was done, that's another two weeks on top of the two weeks. Bar Sturrock, who I don't think is a possibility at all, just paper talk, all the candidates are out of work, so we could have interviewed them all before the final if we had chosen to. Then we advertise it, and if someone applies at this stage, like Forster may have, then it's a much quicker process to just interview him and a few others and make an appointment this week. The extra 5 days might be the difference between a target being snapped up or still avaliable.

As another point, the fans might be speculating less if we had been kept informed. There's not been a since word on the managerial situation on our website since the news of Buckle leaving 8 days ago.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
MuzDog
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by MuzDog »

HRG wrote: A good sign? I certainly hope so!
Victor Chandler also has Forster as 1/3 favourite, so looks like it's a done deal! Obviously, the more quickly we get him in the hotseat now the better so we can get things in place for the new season.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/foo ... nt-manager" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Buckle was 1/4 for a job last season (possibly even Bristol Rovers, I forget which it was), and didn't get it. The market for this is so small that it doesn't take much for odds to move massively without any foundation.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

does anyone think it possible, that the board didn't expect us to get into the play offs, let alone the final, and as a result, this shunted their decisions by a couple of weeks. maybe they'd planned to put PB on gardening leave after the rovrum match, he then joins rovers on 1st june (or whatever), by which time, we've had 2 weeks to appoint a new manager.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Lets hope he brings his boots and comes out of retirement as well.
TUST #324
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

just appeared on the BBC football website :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13682302.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and the voting for the new matchday program naming has appeared on our website.

quality.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Interesting to see Russells up to third faveourite now. He'd do a good job aswell I reckon.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

MuzDog wrote: Victor Chandler also has Forster as 1/3 favourite, so looks like it's a done deal! Obviously, the more quickly we get him in the hotseat now the better so we can get things in place for the new season.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/foo ... nt-manager" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well I would be more than happy with Forster and am beginning to get the feeling that he may be our man. He (Forster) was on the BBC Non League (still can't let go :lol: ) radio show last week when they were talking about him being linked to the H&Y job and I thought he came across as bright and articulate as well as being ambitious and not only that but he seemed realistic and down to earth in recognising that there are only a few managerial appointments to go around and there is always lots of competition and you have to start somewhere. He also mentioned having one or two contacts on the Non League scene in John Yems (he was used by Buckle in a scouting role for us a while back) and Willie Wordsworth (ex Cambridge Utd). I think, given his playing record, he will have built up a wealth of contacts in the game and would be a good choice for us.

Whether it's him or not I don't know but I have a feeling that we might end up knowing a bit sooner than we might have been led to believe. It appears that Jake Robinson (at least according to his Twitter) seems to reckon he knows who it is already (although he's not saying who!) and missed a call from someone "who has been linked with the (TUFC) job". Could it be Forster - after all they played together in the same Brighton team for two years?

I wonder whether there have been any firm developments coming out of todays scheduled Board Meeting ? We were led to believe that the plan was to draw up a shortlist of up to 5 and then to commence interviews - but I suppose if the Board felt unanimous in their support of one candidate over the others who had applied then it's possible they could reach a decision now rather than delay any further? I'm sure they recognise the importance of bringing stability back to the football club and the events of the last two days (losing Bevan and Stanley) may just have forced them to act sooner rather than later.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

regiment wrote:does anyone think it possible, that the board didn't expect us to get into the play offs, let alone the final, and as a result, this shunted their decisions by a couple of weeks. maybe they'd planned to put PB on gardening leave after the rovrum match, he then joins rovers on 1st june (or whatever), by which time, we've had 2 weeks to appoint a new manager.
You may be totally right there matey. I also seem to remember there was a 5 year plan to get us back into the league when we dropped into the BSP?? Guess that one got overtaken by events as well :whistle: