Southend United fan in peace

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
matt1
Trialist
Trialist

Southend United fan in peace

Post by matt1 »

Hi there to all supporters of Torquay United.

As said from my subject title I'am here in peace.

As you our manager at Blues is Paul Sturrock who has obvious ties to your part of the Country and there has been talk our end that your Club might be interested in him- Something Sturrock sny has had to deny.

I see he's not mentioned amongst the bookiers as a contender which worries me as its often the case one who is not really thought of gets the job.

So I wondered if theres been any news your end suggesting Paul Sturrock's name? :
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

I hope not.
TUST #324
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

It has been rumoured - ironically the rumours only started when Sturrock himself decided to deny any interest! He's done a decent job for you, and at previous to that too. I don't think he'd be a popular choice though. We're hopeful of someone that plays a little more progressively than PS.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

http://www.victorchandler.com/vcbet/en- ... /6110141/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's 3/1 on Victor Chandler at the minite. I wont worry though I doubt we'll go for anyone currently in a job at the minite.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Actually think he'd be an excellent appointment. I still would be amazed if Torquay took a manager that is currently in employment. I don't think we could or would want to pay the compensation.
allez mons
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by allez mons »

I agree with RoyalGull - he would be an excellent (if very unlikely appointment). He only cocked up at Argyle the 2nd time around - bizarrely - when given loads of dosh, hence Argyle's current predicament.....!!!!!! When there the first time, working on a shoestring, he did wonders. In fact, Southend are one of my "dark horses" at 25/1 for the title...

I think the bookies/papers are putting and 2 together and making 5 - particularly as he (or his family does anyway) continue to live at his St Budeaux (outskirts of Plymouth) farm house and he is always waxing lyrical about missing Devon in the local rags, hoping to settle there in retirement .....
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by andygull »

no chance and no good either!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Oh no, Andy's on one again, someone patch him through to the Samaritans before he flings himself off Chelsea bridge. :~D

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by andygull »

ferrarilover wrote:Oh no, Andy's on one again, someone patch him through to the Samaritans before he flings himself off Chelsea bridge. :~D

Matt.
Cheers ferrari, just about to ring em now! Actually i found that quite funny. I can be happy!! :lol: Just for the record though, would you be pleased or not if sturrock took over?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Eerm, not MASSIVELY familiar with his record, but do remember his last stint with the Janners and he was hopeless. Never really got me excited, plus, he'll bring that bloody wetbag of a son with him, who follows him wherever he goes.
I'm sure in the right (confortable) job with little expected of him and no real pressure (no disrespect to Southend, but they are sort of a nothing club in terms of L2, hardly likely to go down, but no real disappointment in not making the playoffs). Here, where he will almost certainly be battling the drop with almost nothing to work with, I think it's too much for him to do.

As an aside, I think the question is totally irrelevant (as opposed to irrelephant, which is anything not directly related to elephants), since we have in the kitty about £2.50 and all the peanuts in Simon Baker's mouth. We won't be using any of it to pay compensation for a manager under contract when there are so many free ones knocking about.

I'd like to see Forster, that way, if we do badly, we can blame our desimated squad and rookie manager.

Matt.
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by andygull »

Thats why i said no chance, as we would have to pay compo to a manager who is already employed, and no good considering his record at this level. All in all you can't blame me for being negative about the prospect of sturrock being gulls boss can you? Anybody else and i will be positive!! I promise!!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

andygull wrote:Thats why i said no chance, as we would have to pay compo to a manager who is already employed, and no good considering his record at this level. All in all you can't blame me for being negative about the prospect of sturrock being gulls boss can you? Anybody else and i will be positive!! I promise!!
ANYBODY else?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by andygull »

Ok, maybe not Michael Barrymore or Gazza but at this stage Paul Trollope or Nicky Forster would do quite nicely.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Matt, I think you do them a huge disservice.

Southend were competing in the 2nd tier not long ago so i think they're deserving of more respect than your post offers.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

I'm sure they were Dave, but that is, sort of, irrelevant. They, as all sides, are in this division on merit and, the squad/staff etc which they have now. As a collective at present, they are not in any danger of relegation, but nor are they among the favourites to go up. I don't mean to pay them a dis-service, they are a perfectly adequate L2 club at present, and is precisely nothing wrong with that.

Matt.