Jake Robinson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

He might have meant, have we signed you yet...?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

The problem with Branston, Robinson and Stanley is that they would probably be the highest earners at the club (with the possible exception of Zebs). A new manager will need a bit of flexibility to put his own mark on the team, and this would be undermined by committing ourselves to three expensive contracts.

Personally, I would love to see Stanley sign, but I suspect the chances of any of the three starting the new season in yellow has always been remote. In Branston's case I think the issue is length of contract, and I suspect PB would've been hesitant to hand him a 2 year deal.

Whilst Robbo and Ellis will need time to form a partnership, and we can expect some errors, surely they are the promising future of our central defence?
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Fonda wrote:He might have meant, have we signed you yet...?

Ahh - I like that more!
Likely still to be the first meaning though! (this is Torquay after all!)
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
DavetheRave
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by DavetheRave »

Fonda wrote:We probably can't afford him. Manse asked him on Twitter earlier if he was 'set up yet'.

Love the Stanners on the pitch but anyone checked out his twitter pic...looks like he's on the special K ...is he on holiday in Ibiza???
How weird would it be to bump into a torquay player while on yer holidays!?!?
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

I'm sad to say that I think we've seen the last of Stanley and Robinson in a Torquay shirt, would love to be wrong though :-D
The gulls are going up
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

DavetheRave wrote:
Love the Stanners on the pitch but anyone checked out his twitter pic...looks like he's on the special K ...is he on holiday in Ibiza???
How weird would it be to bump into a torquay player while on yer holidays!?!?
i holiday in torquay quite a lot (to come to home games), but i guess that doesn't count ?? :no: :lol:
Brady

I Wish I Was There
mlw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by mlw »

Is the money Torquay are prepared to pay players that much below many other teams in L2? Are these higher earning players easily going to find the sort of salaries they are looking for at other L2 sides.
Branston, Robinson & Stanley are all very decent (but not exceptional) L2 level players but there have been hell of lot of players released by clubs in all leagues over the last few weeks.
Am I being nieve in thinking the laws of supply and demand should dictate that when supply outstrips demand salaries are going to get squeezed. I appreciate that normal business practice dosn't apply to football clubs and the way they conduct their affairs - but with many clubs heavily in debt surely inflated salaries are not going to be that easy to come by. Benevolent benefactors are ever more difficult to find. We are not talking about Premiership talent here - we are talking about decent level league 2 players - possibly L1 at a pinch.
I would hasten to add that I would much rather we had Branston & Stanley on our books than someone elses but not if threatens the long term viability of the club. There is going to come a time soon when football clubs are going to have to face up to the harsh realities of high spending against low income. HM Customs & Exise are already pushing much harder to wind insolvent clubs up, Up until now most are getting through either by by the skin of their teeth or by the Administration route. Sooner or later a league club will fail (Chester & Ilkeston have already gone that way in the lower leagues - admittedly to resurface even lower down the ladder) and once it happens to one it could start the domino effect.
Anyway, getting back to the point - are these players going to be inundated with offers at way over what we could afford to pay them?
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Chris B wrote:Whilst Robbo and Ellis will need time to form a partnership, and we can expect some errors, surely they are the promising future of our central defence?
Apart from the fact that both of them are predominantly right sided CBs. Neither seem overly happy at playing as left CB and neither look comfortable playing there. It may be that Joe Oastler (who spent most of his time at QPR as a CB) is more comfortable there but I have no idea if he is more natural at left or right CB.
gulls_aloud
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by gulls_aloud »

Good to see jakey is still selling the Herald and has the entire back page to himself today. Less good to be a Torquay United fan who was clinging to a glimmer of hope that the sound business part of the loan deals for Robinson and Stanley might be the seduction of a permanent contract.

Or wanted to read something, anything about OUR future...

Personally I did not take anything positive, nor was surprised to see from the report that Jake is being courted by anyone and everyone but us in L1 and L2, so why was it OUR local news????? I still can't believe we were lucky enough to have him at Plainmoor, and now is as good a time as any to say thank you for your contribution, am sad that our managerless Club is unlikely to have the finances to keep you here, hope they have the decency to say so, and I wish you all the best.
Ausgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs -Legend

Post by Ausgull »

Sounds like he could be on his way to the Cobblers!!
DavetheRave
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by DavetheRave »

Jakey Torres....my ar$e
INGJWETRUST
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by INGJWETRUST »

Cobblers fan in peace.....
Jake Robinson has signed for us today.... is he as good as they say he is?
I just wondered - we struggled last year as you boys know...I hope he is the answer to some of our problems we faced....

Also, Ryan Gilligan - I know a lot of you were really excited taking him from us...did he measure up to your expectations?

Here's hoping for a good season for both our teams... looking forward to hopefully not getting hammered at Plainmoor this year!!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

INGJWETRUST wrote: looking forward to hopefully not getting hammered at Plainmoor this year!!

I'm hoping we'll have a game where we dont get hammered at Plainmoor next season..........................
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

When we asked the same question to Shrewsbury fans, quite a few of them said the same thing. He starts off fantastically, plays brilliantly and quickly becomes a favourite, then he starts of tail off and eventually becomes quite an average player. He very much did that with us and although was still a dangerous player, he did go off the boil. The only other thing was that we kept playing him on the left wing and he doesn't have the greatest of left feet, if you play him on the right, I'd be very interested to see how he does.

As for Gilligan, I didn't personally see him play but apart from a superb assist in his first game, I don't think he seemed very up for it.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
INGJWETRUST
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by INGJWETRUST »

Southampton Gull wrote:
I'm hoping we'll have a game where we dont get hammered at Plainmoor next season..........................
:lol:

Things ain't that bad are they? You guys were unlucky not to win the play-offs..... it's only Buckley that's gone so far isn't it?
If Chrissy Hargreaves takes charge you'll be up there again next season....