ITV Westcountry - Buckle

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Just thinking aloud here…I do think Rovers behaved within the rules of the game. Whether they were morally correct is another matter. But, if Rovers approached us about Bucks, they had obviously identified him as the man they wanted? It was seemingly more of an offer than an interview. They were obviously aware that our season wasn t over, so why all the cloak and dagger stuff? Our board gave them permission to speak to Bucks (rightly or wrongly) – they should have phoned him up, asked him if he was interested, and when he said yes should have agreed to meet up on June 1st and iron out the details. Inviting him up there, releasing press releases that made it clear the target was still working, made it obvious who it was. Asking him to formulate plans for their season, whilst ours was ongoing just makes it worse. It was unsettling and it ultimately ruined our season.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

friendlygas wrote:I really can't see what we have done wrong here and dont see that it would influence your Play off final anymore than the two legged semi final in which you were brilliant.Rovers approached your Board for permission to talk to Paul Buckle and were given poermission by YOUR chairman to do so. Personally I would hope that our Chairman in a similar situation would have said NO but I am not sure he would have done as I have recoillections of a similar thing happening when John Ward was our Manager and we were going for Promotion and Ward was interviewed by Watford. The difference being he didnt get the job and the Board sacked Ward at the end of the season but we have ALWAYS given John Ward a very warm welcome at the Mem in appreciation of what he did for us. As regards Paulk Buckles part in this I think he acted proffessionally. What would you do in your job if you were in a similar position? If you were in with a chance of what YOU considered a better job (I am not saying that Managing us is a better job) would you say wait till the seasons over and know that probably that would end your hopes of the job?
Secondly if you were offered the job and said Yes would you go and tell everybody you had the job if there was still a job to be done?
As I see it the only problem here was that Buckle was seen by somebody leaving the Memorial Stadium at the time interviews were being conducted and the rumours built from there. I can appreciate you are unhappy with the outcome but in a similar position I would think your Board would act in the same way as ours.
understand what you're saying, and i've stated above, i think all three parties are guilty of handling this badly.

however, just a thought........................let's say Buckle was Rovers' primary target, but they could see TUFC were heading for division 1. By contacting our club when they did (yes, our club should've said "naff off"), but coming when it did, definitely affected the end of our season. And do you think if we HAD gone up to Div1, Buckle would've gone back down to Div2 to take the job ?? i'm not so sure.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

Friendlygas – can't disagree with your assessment. BRFC were fully entitled to make an approach for Buckle, it was up to PB to ask for it to wait until the end of the season or for our board to politely tell your lot to naff off.

My gripe is with Buckle, and whether he was 100% focussed on a massive match for TUFC, as Westley clearly was for his side. The Stevenage goal, and all the problems they posed us in the 1st half were created in EXACTLY the same way Shrewsbury tried to in the 2nd leg (balls behind Nicholson, dragging Branston out of central defence to help him, leaving space to exploit). It cost us the goal (and promotion) on Saturday, and was so avoidable.

The impression I'm left with is he was too busy signing a contract, compiling his transfer list for Bristol Rovers etc. to bother preparing for our game. The alternative is he's tactically inept, which he can add to his total inability to reverse deficits in the big games. Take your pick. We may live to miss the manager, but not the man.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

As I see it:

A) Bristol Rovers should have waited untill OUR season was over before approaching Buckle.

B) Once the approach was made our board should have asked BR to wait untill OUR season was over.

C) Buckle was, obviously, the man BR wanted. He would not have lost the chance to be offered the job, even if he had asked them to wait a couple of weeks. Freindlygas, You may be able to answer this. Was anyone else in the running?

D) As we all knew that "Something" was going on, so must our players. It can not have been easy for them to concentrate 100% on the final, and I feel that it cheated the paying customers, "The Fans".

E) BR took a chance and got away with it. So, to be honest, I suppose we can't blame them.

Whether or not all of this did affect our game, we won't ever know for sure, but it does leave a bitter taste in the mouth.

I guess we will come through this, as we did with the Roberts saga, but at the moment it hurts.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

Following the rather unsurprising revelation in this ITV Westcountry programme, a number of questions do indeed need to be answered. Personally, now I have had more time to digest the contents of the posts over the last few days, I am angry at our board and the way they have handled things. It does seem that PB was given far too much slack here to do pretty much what he wanted and as a result, the only one that benefited was himself. I Don't know why but I get the feeling we are just 'too nice' on occasions. I saw Simon Bakers interview post OT and he was wishing him well yada, yada.

We would do well to toughen up a bit and not be so spineless at times. It's funny after a while if you keep telling people you are a small club and you are lucky to be where you are, and you have little money - you are going to get shafted. Even if this is the case, play your cards closer to your chest - after all this is business. It does make me feel that some of the directors may be successful in their own right but are they shrewd and gutsy enough when it get's smelly? - I sincerely hope we lose a valuable lesson from this - they sail, fail fast and recover - I hope this is what we do. The board have a number of lessons to learn this season about running a football club including ticket selling/allocation and some internal processes need a dramatic overhaul - remember a house is built on good foundations!

I am more concerned about the marketing / promotion side of the business - by that I mean getting bums on seats to improve income is the number 1 priority to permit us to strengthen the squad and move the club forward. I also accept the 'Blue Rinse Brigade' are the majority in seaside towns; however there are still lots of young children at schools that need to be encouraged to follow a team as they grow up. They are clearly the future and you have to start now to benefit in the next couple of years - is there even a marketing strategy in the club?

Forget PB, it's the club and it's future I am more concerned about!
Last edited by tauntongull on 01 Jun 2011, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Some good points denspad, one thing I should add in support of the Board is that by allowing Buckle to accpet the job early, it gave them plenty of time to make the arrangements for a replacement and take onboard his own wishlist. This might not be mentioned publicly but it makes perfect sense to me.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

On the question raised in one of the posts as to whether there were any other people in the running I believe the answer was yes. I am given to believe it was down to three or four those being Danny Wilson,Paul Buckle,Geraint Williams and Aby Boothroyd.John Ward was also mentioned.
As regards the Press up here just to let you know the "Bristol "City" Evening Post" seems to take most of its stories from the Fans Forum and it was there that the Paul Buckle rumour started. The Board have never told either us or the Press anything.
My gut feeling is that Paul Buckle had made his mind up that irrespective of the Play off result it would be his last season with you. Nobody other than himself will probably find out if that was true.
Be fair he is not exactly going to the number 1 job in football!!!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Southampton Gull wrote:Some good points denspad, one thing I should add in support of the Board is that by allowing Buckle to accpet the job early, it gave them plenty of time to make the arrangements for a replacement and take onboard his own wishlist. This might not be mentioned publicly but it makes perfect sense to me.
Dave - I am hoping you are alluding to the fact the board have made arrangements for the replacement. From what I can see they are now waiting for applicants which suggest this is not the case. Why wait a week otherwise?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Holidays? Time to make arrangements, there could be a number of reasons, Rich. All the messages I'm getting are pointing to it being firmly under control.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its not looking like we have anybody lined up. Typical of our board to let Buckle do exactly what he damned well pleases.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Well I did tell you that was on ITV West didnt I.
I personaly have no gripe with rovers fans. they are generaly a great bunch and don't deserve the board they have. It's no secret that the board is stale sometimes lacking in imaginationand the fans have been calling for a fresh blood for a long time. They are also a bit fed up with the Milkman as they call him.
The way this has been handled leaves a lot to be desired and I think it will come back to bite Rovers on the bum somewhere along the line as it seems PB has no real loyalty to anyone but himself. If a better offewr comes along he will go and I have a feeling Rovers will be left stunned wondering what happened.
I think it's now long time that we should look forward and forget what has happened. we need to concentrate our moinds on our own club now and look forward to a new season. The Board will have things under control. They must not be rushed or we will live to regret it long term. Give them the space they need to lets got on with it. PB is now History. although it should be Geography with all the ups and downs he has given us. we move on !
Coommmmmmmeeee on yoououoooo yelllooowwwwwwwws. yellows. yellows. yellows yellows :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
rodneyjackjackjack
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Danny Stevens

Post by rodneyjackjackjack »

Just watched the video,

It is clear that he has undermined the club by talking to Bristol Rovers like a slimy little snake before one of our biggest games of the season.

If he spent those few precious hours working on our shooting, rather than thinking about HIMSELF we may well be sat in League 1 now.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

Richinns wrote: Dave - I am hoping you are alluding to the fact the board have made arrangements for the replacement. From what I can see they are now waiting for applicants which suggest this is not the case. Why wait a week otherwise?
i'm guessing also, that they legally have to advertise the vacancy. it doesn't mean a name isn't already pencilled in, or a deal done, but to advertise when they knew bucks was going, would've revealed all so to speak, not that it was a particularly well kept secret. it's a tough one, and despite the fact the organisation at our club rarely wins any prizes, i'd hope in this instance, a plan is in place and they're on top of things. time will tell.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Southampton Gull wrote:Holidays? Time to make arrangements, there could be a number of reasons, Rich. All the messages I'm getting are pointing to it being firmly under control.

Made me feely slightly better about the situation. Thanks.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Southampton Gull wrote:Holidays? Time to make arrangements, there could be a number of reasons, Rich. All the messages I'm getting are pointing to it being firmly under control.
I really hope that is all under control; I think we're all traumatised by previous boards taking way too long to name manager and finding ourselves behind the competition. This would be especially frustrating given that we're really not that far away from having a promotion-winning team.

I just want the new season to begin, but until that happens I want us to have our guys on the ball.

I don't think any of us are expecting Jose Mourinho to be our next manager; we just don't want to feel that we're letting this terrific opportunity slip away from us before the season has even started. So if anybody happens to know any of the board, please pass this on. :)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.