Next season.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Wubble U »

markypoos77 wrote: 17 Apr 2024, 12:47 In terms of new teams next season, do we have an idea yet of who this will be? Perhaps someone with better geographical knowledge can enlighten me!? Assume Dorking will come into the NLS but others already confirmed as relegated - Oxford and Kiddy go North?
Yes I'd imagine the same, Dorking to NLS, Oxford and Kiddy to NLN

The fourth place coming down from the National League looks like it is between Boreham Wood, Woking and Ebbsfleet (Boreham wood v Ebbsfleet showdown in saturday's final game!)

Woking and Ebbsfleet would likely join the NLS.
Wouldn't it be great to have a repeat of the Torquay Woking rivalry in our NLS Champions Year :scarf:

Then we'll have Chesham coming up from the Southern Premier South and Hornchurch from the Isthmian.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by leetufc »

How many of the current young players will be given a chance in the first team next season? A few made appearance vs Frome in the Trophy, and Wellington has made the bench a handful of times, though more to make up number than as an actual option it would seem.

Would like to see Thomas given another season, I don't think he has done anything too wrong when he has stepped in.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Read that the new owner(s) might be on the board of Brewdog.
If that’s the case, Boots and Laces could be full of Elvis juice next season. 🕺🏻

Following TUFC has always been a Roller Coaster of a ride however beating Taunton stopped our club from getting on the Helter Skelter!!

Looking back just a few months, we were all excited at the beginning of the season and expected a Big Top finish however we soon discovered our club was (is) riddled with a bunch of Circus Clowns.🤡 🤡

Stop the root, bin the lot, if we can and start again.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Willowgull »

I agree, a mass clearout is required. I'm not sure I would keep anyone (certainly no more than one or two). Start again from scratch with hungry footballers; we've done that before.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

We may be 'jumping the gun' here.

Firstly we need a new owner, secondly a management team, thirdly our transfer embargo lifted. Remember we need to be out of administration before the League AGM.

We are not out of the woods yet, but last night was a huge step!
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by leetufc »

Willowgull wrote: 17 Apr 2024, 16:10 I agree, a mass clearout is required. I'm not sure I would keep anyone (certainly no more than one or two). Start again from scratch with hungry footballers; we've done that before.
Reminds me of 2007, first season in the conference, we had 4(?) players under contract following the disaster that was Chris Roberts. Lets hope we can have a similar bounce from new owners - not holding my breath currently though
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

What about Luke Garrard as Torquay manager? Did well for wood for a few years but had a poor season this time around.

It is with deep regret, and huge sadness, that Boreham Wood Football Club can announce we will part company with our long-serving Manager Luke Garrard after our last game of this season against Ebbsfleet United on Saturday, April 20th.

Wood Chairman Danny Hunter said, “This advance announcement is made with a very heavy heart on my part, and because of Luke’s service I want his departure to be dignified, respectful and honest. That is very important because he should not be remembered for one disastrous season but for his volume of work over so many seasons.

“I remind those amongst us who think a Manager should be sacked every time a club has a bad run, that if I adopted your policy Luke would have gone many times and because I was patient and he was supported, we created magic moments, and look over the years what we’ve achieved together.”
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

The statement mentions poor runs and a disastrous season, why would we want him here?

The rumours are it could be the Brewdog co owner or the owner of The Range. Evidence is one liked tweet and one person who looked a bit like the other one at a game.
Seeing as it's only one preferred bidder, then at least one of these rumours is BS.

Could be neither.

As for next season, Booth, maybe Moxey, Lovett, Archer, no one else.
No signing injury prone players.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

As much as I like Aaron Downes, I feel if he is told to carry on next season he will try and re- sign as many of the squad as he can. I don't imagine he has a massive amount of contacts either.
Too much of a Johnson influence on his coaching. too.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Taelee73 wrote: 17 Apr 2024, 17:27 The statement mentions poor runs and a disastrous season, why would we want him here?
Most managers have an expiration date - it's incredibly rare for a manager to have success at one club for more than a few seasons. Look no further than Gary Johnson - not only with us, but also with Yeovil, he had one or two really good seasons, then it went off the boil, then it went rapidly downhill. Garrard was a really successful manager for BW, getting them into play-off final - there's no reason he won't be a success elsewhere.

With that said - as I recall the playing style of the BW side was pretty agricultural. Not sure if a new owner would want to default to that.
desperado wrote: 18 Apr 2024, 13:40 As much as I like Aaron Downes, I feel if he is told to carry on next season he will try and re- sign as many of the squad as he can. I don't imagine he has a massive amount of contacts either.
That's an easy conversation to have - "hi Aaron, we want to give you a 2 year contract for the manager's job, but just so you know, we think this squad have been terrible so we're only prepared to offer contracts to the top 4 or 5 on your wish list. Choose carefully!"
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

desperado wrote: 18 Apr 2024, 13:40 As much as I like Aaron Downes, I feel if he is told to carry on next season he will try and re- sign as many of the squad as he can. I don't imagine he has a massive amount of contacts either.
I think Downes is in a dificult position, yes, he had Johnson weaving his victorian ways of football all over him but I think he is his own man and his comments in pre and post match chats indicate that truth and fact are inportant to him, will he get the job, I do not know, but the likes of Nicholson who has learnt an awful lot in the intervening years and Tim Sills must also be candidates, I hope it doesnt go out for applcations as that will delay any process of squad building that much longer.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Dave, I think you had an idea about this before I posted here on the 30th March. I am pleased that Osborne not losing a penny has been confirmed by the end of year accounts. That man was funded by the big building companies on the hope of some lucrative property deal. My source was correct in every aspect and at last threw light on the Byzantine business strategy of the malign Osborne which nobody could work out until then. He desreves no sympathy and no one should feel sorry for him, he doesn't care about the club, community or fans. He has not put any of his money in. A slimeball of epic proportions, a liar and unethical. Attempted to deploy Trojan Horse tactics amongst the fan base to create division. Some of whom I expect were either seriously misguided or actually paid or given favours to sow the seeds of discontent. True, the club may have gone under had not him and the big builders not stepped in, that I am grateful for. However, the club was in peril again, owned by a parasite that would eventually devour it's host.

Looking forward, hopefully we will have an owner that wants the club to thrive, engage with the fans, maximise all income generation opportunities and invest in the playing side. I am so much more optimistic after the Taunton result. Roll on 24/25.
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

I'm not trying to be negative or unfair, but I really don't believe Aaron Downes is the answer for our next permanent manager, nice guy and all that, but we need a clean slate now, a new era has to start.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

If there is decent funding available, then Downes, Sims aren't the answer. Too inexperienced as managers, no real success on the CV. If we have no money, then yes maybe.

Nicho is learning at Exeter and I can't really believe he'd come back.

Proven manager, but one that embraces new ideas, no idea who. But most definitely it needs to go out to external applications. Maybe the manager of Worthing, who play attractive attacking football?
BigDave
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by BigDave »

Taelee73 wrote: 18 Apr 2024, 19:03 If there is decent funding available, then Downes, Sims aren't the answer. Too inexperienced as managers, no real success on the CV. If we have no money, then yes maybe.

Nicho is learning at Exeter and I can't really believe he'd come back.

Proven manager, but one that embraces new ideas, no idea who. But most definitely it needs to go out to external applications. Maybe the manager of Worthing, who play attractive attacking football?
Sims? John Sims has already dabbled in Torquay United management so, like Nicho, is probably unlikely to come back, and if Sims is the man who kept goal for Aston Villa in the 1957 F.A. Cup Final he obviously would not be the answer, as he has been deceased for six years. Ex-Watford centre half Steve Sims is in his late sixties with no notable football management experience so would probably not be in contention, so Downes may have to be the default choice in the absence of decent funding.