Staying Up - Relegation Battle

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Updated after Saturday 6th April.

Defeat for Torquay which wasn’t unexpected but even worse that Dartford & Eastbourne won & Taunton picked up a point.

Hemel 44 49 -15
Truro 38 46 -8
Torquay 42 45 -9
Eastbourne 42 44 -25
Dartford 43 43 -17
Taunton 40 41 -21
Havant 43 36 -34
Dover 43 27 -33

Dover are already down and Havant very likely to go (they can’t catch us).
Two from the rest to be relegated.

It now looks to be between Torquay, Eastbourne, Dartford & Taunton as to who gets the last two relegation places. Hemel could still go down but less likely now. Also Truro but they have loads of games and probably only need to win one.

The key game at the moment seems to be Taunton v Torquay.
If we win this we will probably be safe.
If we draw we will probably need to get one more win (or maybe two draws) from our other three games.
If we lose we will probably need to get one more win and one or two draws) from our other three games.

Taunton

Braintree – away
Slough - home
Farnborough – away
Torquay – home
Weston – home
Hemel - home

7 games in 15 days.
5 – 7 points if we beat them : 46 – 48 points
6 – 8 points if we draw : 47 – 49 points
8 – 10 points if we lose : 49 – 51 points

Dartford

Worthing – home
Yeovil – away
Truro – home

Only 3 games left 2 of which are difficult.
Worthing will require points to get best possible play off position & Yeovil may not have secured the title.
Can’t see them getting more than 4 points from these : 46 - 47 points

Eastbourne

Truro – away
Chippenham – home
Weston – away
Braintree – away

Some winnable games. 6 – 7 points : 50 – 51 points

Torquay

Truro – away
Bath – away
Taunton – away
Havant – home

Poor away form but 2 or 3 winnable games.

Hemel

Slough – home
Taunton – away

Only 2 games left but not that difficult.
1 – 4 points : 50 – 53 points
However if they lose to Slough to get these points they’ll need to take something from Taunton.
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

It's an absolute disgrace that these so-called professionals may have to rely on other results going their way to escape relegation.

They have now lost 19 games in what is, predominantly, a part-time league.

I know it wont happen, for practical reasons, but I would get rid of the whole squad, together with Downes and the appalling Peter Johnson, if he is still employed. The club needs a complete clear out together with a major revamp.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

JimNichol'sdog wrote: 06 Apr 2024, 20:43 It's an absolute disgrace that these so-called professionals may have to rely on other results going their way to escape relegation.

They have now lost 19 games in what is, predominantly, a part-time league.

I know it wont happen, for practical reasons, but I would get rid of the whole squad, together with Downes and the appalling Peter Johnson, if he is still employed. The club needs a complete clear out together with a major revamp.
That’s bound to happen. Hopefully we’ll survive, the club will be bought and we can start with a clean slate next season.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

The game we must win is v Taunton
Hopefully it will be played at Exeter but probably unlikely.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Standipsotdown I love your optimism
2 or 3 winnable games!
I wish.
I think we will be lucky to get 2 pionts from our remaining games. With other teams around us picking good points here and there.
I really do fear the worst!
Did not think it could get any worse for torquay but I think the next couple of weeks it will.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 06 Apr 2024, 21:20 Standipsotdown I love your optimism
2 or 3 winnable games!
I wish.
I think we will be lucky to get 2 pionts from our remaining games. With other teams around us picking good points here and there.
I really do fear the worst!
Did not think it could get any worse for torquay but I think the next couple of weeks it will.
We couldn't really ask for better fixtures.
Two poor teams who are playing every other day and a team who will probably be already relegated.
But yes, are we good enough to win two of them?
We should be. We have been picking up points under Downes but it's getting to the point where we have to get results.
Taunton away is crucial.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

standupsitdown wrote: 06 Apr 2024, 21:36 We couldn't really ask for better fixtures.
Two poor teams who are playing every other day and a team who will probably be already relegated.
But yes, are we good enough to win two of them?
We should be. We have been picking up points under Downes but it's getting to the point where we have to get results.
Taunton away is crucial.
Agreed that we could not as for better fixtures. Still do not think it will be enough.
We lose Monday it will be goodnight as we plumet to the depths no one could have imagined.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 06 Apr 2024, 21:56 Agreed that we could not as for better fixtures. Still do not think it will be enough.
We lose Monday it will be goodnight as we plumet to the depths no one could have imagined.
It's not over if we lose to Truro but as we're unlikely to get anything at Bath it will probably leave us needing at least a draw at Taunton and to beat Havant.
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Hopefully when Ross Marshall wins the heavyweight championship of the world he will buy TUFC and pump a load of money in!
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

I think it's going to be Dartford plus the loser of Taunton v Torquay to go down.
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

Eastbourne are in play off form. I think they changed their manager at the start of the year and he has gradually turned it around. I think they will be fine.

I don't fancy our chances anymore. All the negativety around the club has had a depressing effect. Positive news was needed last week.

We must not lose to Taunton and I can see us needing to beat Havant final game. Where are the goals coming from? But will 4 points be enough for us?
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

Havant at home and our goal difference will be factors in probably staying up, that's no disregard of Havant fc, they'll be relegated by the time we play them, I think we'll likely get a point vs Taunton poss Truro, Bath away is a toughie, looking back that win over Dartford was huge.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

I can't see us winning another match tbh. For the second season running it'll probably come down to us needing a win and other results going our way at home on the last day. Last year we looked like we could pull it off, not this year.

They'll be a clear out whatever. Maybe Lovett as goalie, potentially Moxey and Booth has to have had a two year deal. Not sure how that one works legally.

The rest can gladly disappear, Dawson the biggest disappointment although we knew he was injury prone when we signed him. Wonder if he played those last games of last season knowing he was injured?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Eastbourne will be desperate to stay up as we should be !! as they turned full time this season Just shows you - two full time teams in the relegation scrap !
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Peter Coffill

Post by Colorado »

I'm guessing Eastbourne will pick up 6 points against Weston and Chippenham. Neither of them are likely to be too worried about the outcome given their season's are over.