Torquay United v Hampton & Richmond Borough Sat23rd (Devon Day)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Rio Doherty
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: The pub

Post by Rio Doherty »

Score - Torquay United 0-2 Hampton & Richmond Borough.

Attendance - 2,112 (61 Hampton & Richmond Borough).
Chester FC supporter and volunteer with a soft spot for Torquay
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

Gulls 1-3 H & R ...around 2000 in attendance, 70 odd away fans.
dagglebert
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by dagglebert »

We just have to get something out of this. 1-1 draw.
Brixham63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Brixham63 »

TQ 1-HaW 3. Playing the form team in the league with a defence that isn’t going to learn how to defend in a week. Ironically the only home game I can get to before the seasons end. Hoping against hope I’m wrong.
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

Dave wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 19:18 Gone with this one early as title says, we have Devon Day at Plainmoor Saturday, it is reported that a number of both Plymouth and Exeter supporters are coming in support of our club, what sort of numbers who knows, and while we are all thankful and grateful to any fan from another club that lends their support to us, I must make the point here, it's not up to them, to do the work to save our club. It is 100% down to us TUFC fans to turn up in numbers here and help save our own club, if other fans see us making the effort, they'll be back, if they don't, they won't, that simple.

It was reported back by a number of fans at Tonbridge Saturday that our team turned up in their cars Saturday and not on a team coach, well this sums it up, and a certain poster who still try's to paint Clarke Osbourne out as a white knight, well for you know who this tells CO is 'not' still paying the bills , and we truly are down to essential operating costs only, like wages etc.

Can you forgive the last two results ? If so please attend the game, if not at least consider buying a 'ghost ticket' it will all help.

I just can't put my finger on a reason for last week, why the fight and passion v Aveley/Weymouth and Dartford has disappeared, and last week saw us pick no points at a whimper, with a whopping great -6 goal difference, maybe Downes hasn't done the best job of taking the pressure off, or maybe Downes has put them too far into some comfort zone, these players can perform better. For me, it's not down to the team losing the last two games it's the manner.

Over the last few seasons us Gulls fans have taken a mental beating, we're pretty much all feeling the same, we all want this season just to end now don't we, however we've landed in another relegation dog fight, and this one really must be overcome as I believe the Southern premier south awaits us, again my appeal as much as, not many of us want to, we need to stick with these players, Downes and the club, unless new ownership rock up, and soon, this squad, the interim manager is all we've got, back them, or we defiantly will go down.

Unfortunately we face one this divisions inform teams Saturday, with 4 straight wins and draw from their last 5 games, now looking a shoe-in for the play-offs, going to be a difficult afternoon, Hampton will be a mountain to climb, but one we can climb if the team get themselves together.

Sadly for me think we'll come up short, I really want the biggest egg in the face here.

TUFC 1 V 3 Hampton.
And hope are players turn up and fight.
wbw
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by wbw »

I'd love to hear suggestions as to who is covering the wages if it isn't the owner?
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Guess we'll find out on pay day.

The official amount raised is £20k plus whatever gate receipts are profit. The wage bill has hopefully dropped.

You saying Osbourne is still paying?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Theres just no point in buying a ghost ticket if you can get there its so counter productive. Just go along and support the team simple as that.

There is just so much riding on this game it is massive. Yes we are crap we all know that BUT we dont need many wins to avoid the drop. I would actually think we will get a decent crowd on Saturday. Exeter/Plymouth dont have a game.

Hampton maybe the form team but they are no world beaters - we simply have to man up, the players have to get a victory somehow.

No offence, but dont withdraw your support, now is not the time. Get yourself along there. Create a hostile atmosphere for the visiting team and try and influence the referee.

There is plenty of time for recriminations but not now. 3 home games and 3 away games against Taunton, Truro and Bath where we will either outnumber the home fans or have decent support.
Owlgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Owlgull »

:goodpost:
brucie wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 12:49 Theres just no point in buying a ghost ticket if you can get there its so counter productive. Just go along and support the team simple as that. :goodpost:

There is just so much riding on this game it is massive. Yes we are crap we all know that BUT we dont need many wins to avoid the drop. I would actually think we will get a decent crowd on Saturday. Exeter/Plymouth dont have a game.

Hampton maybe the form team but they are no world beaters - we simply have to man up, the players have to get a victory somehow.

No offence, but dont withdraw your support, now is not the time. Get yourself along there. Create a hostile atmosphere for the visiting team and try and influence the referee.

There is plenty of time for recriminations but not now. 3 home games and 3 away games against Taunton, Truro and Bath where we will either outnumber the home fans or have decent support.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

brucie wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 12:49 Theres just no point in buying a ghost ticket if you can get there its so counter productive. Just go along and support the team simple as that... we simply have to man up, the players have to get a victory somehow.
"we simply have to man up"? where does the royal "we" come into play. I take it you did not make the long haul to Tonbridge with a statement of ''support the team as simple as that".

I will support the club financially, but not this team any longer, most who will eventually leave sooner rather than later when administration kicks-in. The owner who did not care about the club has moved on; the disagreeable manager who brought in crocked players telling us all will be fine when we have a full squad, has gone. But at least we now had a full, fit, unbeatable squad to pick from against Taunton and Tonbridge - six point in the bag and goals galore - surely! I am sorry, but it is not 'as simple as that' to support this team.

Nowhere is it written you have to support your local team. It's simply small club mentality to try to show that we are the 'better' supporter for supporting the local team rather than those who prefer to watch a bit of genuine quality. The truth is my support for the club is essentially an accident of birth location, nonetheless, the primary reason I have supported the club all these years - there is a genuine connection

Hang on in there and whatever is annoying you will fade into history. No one is bigger than the club, after all. Or so they say. So on that basis I've decided to compromise and to support the club though a 'ghost ticket' and I'm fine with that.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

standupsitdown wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 07:33 Aaron Downes came over and spoke to some of us before the game. He said that because of the M25 closure the cost of a coach was about the same as a hotel. They asked the players which they’d prefer and they chose cars plus hotel rather than coach. So the club still found the cost of travel but for hotel not coach.
Makes perfect sense to be fair.
Formerly known as forevertufc
BigDave
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by BigDave »

Owlgull wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 14:00:goodpost:
It's not ghost tickets that are the problem - it's ghost players who are not spirited enough.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Here we go again...

I know, let's do a silly prediction and hope it comes off... Torquay United 4 H&R 3
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Skillsy »

I agree, I don't see the point of buying a ghost ticket when you can get there.......but it's a matter of personal choice. At the moment the main thing is to buy a ticket to put money into the club, whether or not you actually turn up.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Skillsy wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 16:26 I agree, I don't see the point of buying a ghost ticket when you can get there.......but it's a matter of personal choice. At the moment the main thing is to buy a ticket to put money into the club, whether or not you actually turn up.
Which is it then? :whistle:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468