Weymouth F C V Torquay United Sat 2 March KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 14:59 Weymouth 0 - 4 TUFC.

Lets go
Can I change my prediction in play?! 😊😫

It’s my first game in a while and the crowd and the sun got the better of my judgement.

Our goal was well worked, there has been some moments of decent play but the final ball is lacking.

Ultimately this team is still bereft in confidence and suffering a hangover of the Clarke / Johnson era.

It was my hope that the shock departure of the above would serve as a ‘reset’ and a catalyst for a shift in attitude and conviction, but on the merits on the first half I’d observe the fire is not there yet.

We really lack the do or die mentality which I believe is what the fans are looking for right now. We need a vocal leader on the pitch who will rally the team when the heads go down.

It wasn’t a disastrous first half, but a soft goal conceded to throw away our lead going into half time and the reaction of the players illustrates the lack of belief right now.

Let’s hope for an inspired performance and victory shooting towards our fans in the second half.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Same as last week, take the lead before giving a sloppy goal away in the final minute of the first half. 1-1 halftime...just watch us come out second half and fall back in our old ways and then concede.

Will be lucky to avoid defeat.......prove me wrong.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Final score 1-1. We did manage to avoid defeat but you have to say two points dropped and our winless run extends to FOURTEEN in a piss poor league!

Forget the playoffs.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

North Curry House wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 17:02 Final score 1-1. We did manage to avoid defeat but you have to say two points dropped and our winless run extends to FOURTEEN in a piss poor league!

Forget the playoffs.
Mate, literally NOBODY is talking about the playoffs any more. Have you been living under a rock for the past few weeks!? Given the potential points deduction, staying +10 points above the drop zone is the only priority right now.

I get we've had a shocking season, but it's all a little more understandable now given what's going on. We don't need perpetually negative moaners at this point, we've got to pull together and give the boys our backing.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

madgull wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 17:10 Mate, literally NOBODY is talking about the playoffs any more. Have you been living under a rock for the past few weeks!? Given the potential points deduction, staying +10 points above the drop zone is the only priority right now.

I get we've had a shocking season, but it's all a little more understandable now given what's going on. We don't need perpetually negative moaners at this point, we've got to pull together and give the boys our backing.
Good to see you living up to your name. People ARE still talking about the playoffs, I knew long ago we had no chance. I am behind the team but we are not good enough. This season we need to just survive in this division, avoid administration and make a strong challenge next season. The next few weeks are crucial.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Well at least they proved you wrong but not losing.

We were the better side, and Weymouth visibly ran out of steam in the last 20 minutes, but we lacked the guile to unlock them.

Couple of great saves by their keeper, Jarvis shirt pulled all match, Ash you got to hit the target, even with half chances. We either won or lost under Johnson, now we seem to be drawing games.
In light of all that's going on, I thought we played ok.

Amazing away support.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Willowgull »

How many TQFC fans there today,?
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

North Curry House wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 17:21 Good to see you living up to your name. People ARE still talking about the playoffs, I knew long ago we had no chance. I am behind the team but we are not good enough. This season we need to just survive in this division, avoid administration and make a strong challenge next season. The next few weeks are crucial.
Did a quick search of the forum for "playoffs", last posts mentioning them were...

In the Aveley match thread; clearly not seriously discussing playoffs and talking about avoiding relegation, below:
Taelee73 wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 08:53 As for the score, impossible to say really, some saying it’s not important, of course it is. To help make certain we can’t go down, if we lose players and for an outside chance of the Playoffs. No idea how different Downs is from Johnson in tactics/formations or how fired up or resigned the players will be, so a 3-3 draw.
..and me quoting someone else on the Braintree match thread yelling "can't believe people think we'll make the playoffs". Funny, when I asked them "who", they picked out a post from the 9th of February, from a user who had since said they didn't believe we could make the playoffs.

So, again, from this forum (which is obviously who you're addressing, unless you're making posts here aimed at people somewhere else...which would make you madder than me ;-) ) is seriously saying we're making the playoffs? I get it feels better to lash out at all these illusory "idiots", but I honestly think everyone agrees with you that it's all about survival! :|
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

A disapointing result in front of most of the popside,which we were easily capable of winning, our best defender was Jarvis and our most consistent attacking threat was from our left back Boyd which says everything about Torquay this season, their goal was down to Tomlinson yet again losing his concentration and allowing their forward a free header. I appreciate he wouldnt have started if we did not have issues with nelson's loan and Booth with a knock allowed the slow norris that is marshall back in at right back.
NIce little ground and friendly staff, that A35 is a nightmare, it is like a magnet for everyone that does not wish to drive at more than 30MPH.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Despite a disappointing result today, it wasn’t a wreckless performance. Whilst it lacked passion, it had a degree of stability that we’ve been lacking.

I can’t quite make out what happened with the goal conceded before half time, individual defending errors may have contributed but frankly the team made the space for Weymouth to score. I think both Marshall and Tomlinson are showing improvement and were pretty steady today. Marshall showing some maturity having not retaliated for being completely upended by their keeper.

We needed to make better use of the width today but Stobbs was largely isolated. Dawson and McGavin at times both showed some composure on the ball, but movement around them was lacking.

It’s far from cohesive across the park at the moment which is why I’d rather see Downes be a bit braver in the tactical setup and put his own mark on the formation and game management with an attacking mentality.

I think it’s important to lift the players at the moment and the support today was fantastic throughout.
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

culmstockgull wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 19:06 A disapointing result in front of most of the popside,which we were easily capable of winning, our best defender was Jarvis and our most consistent attacking threat was from our left back Boyd which says everything about Torquay this season, their goal was down to Tomlinson yet again losing his concentration and allowing their forward a free header. I appreciate he wouldnt have started if we did not have issues with nelson's loan and Booth with a knock allowed the slow norris that is marshall back in at right back.
NIce little ground and friendly staff, that A35 is a nightmare, it is like a magnet for everyone that does not wish to drive at more than 30MPH.
The reports say it was Jarvis that let the guy have a free header?????
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Whoever it was, what a first class **** their goalscorer was. Why did he taunt and stick his tongue out to the away end before being physically restrained by Halsted as he appeared to make his way toward the fans in the away end. Weird. Talking weird things as friendly as Weymouth were, and I would thank then for their kind gesture, that confiscating the tops of drinks bottles was truelly strange. Was told by the steward that it stopped people using full bottles of drink as weapons???
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

TommyGunn wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 19:40 The reports say it was Jarvis that let the guy have a free header?????
Tomlinson was very easily beaten for their goal. Very soft.
RedGull1902
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by RedGull1902 »

Willowgull wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 18:28 How many TQFC fans there today,?
600/700
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

TommyGunn wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 19:40 The reports say it was Jarvis that let the guy have a free header?????
I couldnt have been more than ten feet away and it was definetely Tomlinson that went to sleep.