Torbay Council

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

North Curry House wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 17:01 Well said, Bateson certainly was not a fool and engaged with the fans. I recall his ventriloquist dummy, which he bought out in the boardroom after a few whiskies.
To be fair, I'm pretty sure that's what Edwards' job was.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

CornishGull wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 18:28 I think the idea of playing at Buckland was because some people (may actually have been a single individual) thought we should start a Phoenix club whilst Osborne's Torquay United was still existence at Plainmoor. Daft idea.
Totally agree. There's been a growing number of people talking about a possible phoenix club, which I think was mistaken as a suggestion that us fans wanted to start a phoenix as a rival to 'the' club, that was never the case, and a rival TUFC would have been a total non-starter.

Even though personally I'm not fearful of a phoenix TUFC, I, and I think most are looking at the phoenix club option as a total last resort, when all other options have been exhausted and we're forced into such an option.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

standupsitdown wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 19:47 They would have done if Osborne had got his hands on Plainmoor.
To be fair the council have reiterated there position time, time and time again that the freehold of Plainmoor was not for sale, so there was never that chance, and whilst I think the fanbase may have played a very small part in hastening CO decision, more likely the realization that he (CO) was never going to get what he wanted is the driving factor behind him withdrawing funding.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Dave wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 10:33 To be fair the council have reiterated there position time, time and time again that the freehold of Plainmoor was not for sale, so there was never that chance, and whilst I think the fanbase may have played a very small part in hastening CO decision, more likely the realization that he (CO) was never going to get what he wanted is the driving factor behind him withdrawing funding.
Never say never. Council members change every few years. As money gets tighter and budgets shrink who can say for sure that in time it won't be sold.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Southampton Gull wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 11:24 Never say never. Council members change every few years. As money gets tighter and budgets shrink who can say for sure that in time it won't be sold.
Agreed, however there's been two council elections since CO arrived, the council control changed on both occasions, the stance on Plainmoor has not.

Torbay like most local authorities has been cashed strapped for a while and could have sold Plainmoor a number of times over, yet have not.

The rention of Plainmoor will be a vote winner, think it's future is safe in the medium to long term.
wbw
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by wbw »

As an aside, why do fans think the freehold of Plainmoor is worth a lot? If its not used as a football stadium, the only possible use for the site is development.
That would be affordable housing or industrial units. Can't think of much else and neither would be particularly lucrative.
Perhaps the council realise the value they would get is not worth the abuse that would follow. Trust me, if it was worth many millions, it would have been sold!! The council is in the mire.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Trust you? Not while you spout a defence of Clarke Osborne, no thanks. As I've said before, I think the land at Plainmoor wasn't the real carrot for Osborne. Permission to "develop an area to include a ground" as per his modus operandi and who is to say housing by a big builder wouldn't swallow up the land proposed leaving us high and dry. I wonder where that idea came from.............
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Owlgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Owlgull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 11:47 Trust you? Not while you spout a defence of Clarke Osborne, no thanks. As I've said before, I think the land at Plainmoor wasn't the real carrot for Osborne. Permission to "develop an area to include a ground" as per his modus operandi and who is to say housing by a big builder wouldn't swallow up the land proposed leaving us high and dry. I wonder where that idea came from.............

Your “hints” have become stronger and stronger. I think I’ve finally “twigged!”
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

wbw wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 11:43 As an aside, why do fans think the freehold of Plainmoor is worth a lot? If its not used as a football stadium, the only possible use for the site is development.
That would be affordable housing or industrial units. Can't think of much else and neither would be particularly lucrative.
Perhaps the council realise the value they would get is not worth the abuse that would follow. Trust me, if it was worth many millions, it would have been sold!! The council is in the mire.
Doesn't matter if the freehold is worth 1p or £50m.....
Osborne didn't get his dirty, grubby hands on it and I doubt after the council's statement - that anyone would....
But as per your blinkered view, you don't see it....
As for housing or industrial units - get a grip FFS.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

The Eternal Optimist
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by The Eternal Optimist »

If the council ever decided to sell Plainmoor there would be a massive objection from the residents of Torquay, not to mention Gulls fans. They would be forced to back down from that decision. I think the fans objections alone would probably be sufficient to change their minds. I believe there is some sort of covenant that requires Plainmoor to be used for sport / recreational purposes only. I don't believe it's realistic to think that Plainmoor will be sold. It's a developed football stadium, so any buyer would have to factor in the cost of the removal of all the infrastructure. Must be a disincentive. It's been let to Torquay United for a hundred years - I don't see any change happening to that arrangement, unless the club is completely liquidated.
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

The real value to the council in Plainmoor is the tourism that it should bring in. Ok not so much at this level , but as the team goes up the leagues many fans will come and stay overnight. I know that I did.
To my mind the club doesn't work hard enough with the tourist board to link hotels and and offer package deals to entice more visitors. How many wives/ partners would accompany husbands, or even encourage husbands/partners to come for the weekend if they were being treated to a spa day whilst their other half is at the footie.
Torquay is a great place for a weekend break in the winter and the club, council and tourist board need to work towards it.
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Peter Coffill

Post by Colorado »

Brewers boy wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 19:42 The real value to the council in Plainmoor is the tourism that it should bring in. Ok not so much at this level , but as the team goes up the leagues many fans will come and stay overnight. I know that I did.
To my mind the club doesn't work hard enough with the tourist board to link hotels and and offer package deals to entice more visitors. How many wives/ partners would accompany husbands, or even encourage husbands/partners to come for the weekend if they were being treated to a spa day whilst their other half is at the footie.
Torquay is a great place for a weekend break in the winter and the club, council and tourist board need to work towards it.
Couldn't agree more. Well said.
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

The Great Muta! wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 15:22 This may not be a popular post, but I want to stick up for the council, even going back to Dave Webb, Chris Roberts, Osborne have all wanted the freehold on the land, and thankfully the council have said no, I just hope there's a Mike Bateson figure who's local, he wasn't everyones cup of tea, but I always thought he was a decent bloke who had the clubs best interests at heart, and he kept us solvent and debt free.

:goodpost: Yep Mike Bateson kept us ticking over. some good cup run's, are club felt safe under him. How I would long for those type of times again I would not mind two promotions then staying in league 2 and just playing good football that would do.
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

Well said JPR. We have a lot to thank the council for. If they didn't own the land then Osbourne would have arranged a groundshare with Buckland or Brixham and built houses on plainmoor long ago. WE are in a very good position owning the stadium and paying a nominal groundrent to a council which is pro football.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 11:47 Trust you? Not while you spout a defence of Clarke Osborne, no thanks. As I've said before, I think the land at Plainmoor wasn't the real carrot for Osborne. Permission to "develop an area to include a ground" as per his modus operandi and who is to say housing by a big builder wouldn't swallow up the land proposed leaving us high and dry. I wonder where that idea came from.............
Exactly that, Dave. It’s what he’s tended to do many times before with catastrophic consequences. He’s still owner now - and we are not in administration nor sold yet - but hopefully he will soon no longer be calling the shots here.