Torbay Council

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

:goodpost:
Southampton Gull wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 20:14 I think the council have looked after us as best they could given the current financial climate. They weren't duped by Osborne so fair play to them I say.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 20:14 I think the council have looked after us as best they could given the current financial climate. They weren't duped by Osborne so fair play to them I say.
and they continue to do so, this from the Mayor (a good fan by the way) after their meeting last night:

I will do all that I can to help and work with TUFC to get through this dark and sad time.
At last night's meeting of the full Council, the Leader of the Council vowed to work with TUFC and engage with any interested parties to keep football at the club.
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

Leader David Thomas (Con, Preston) said: "Local football at all levels is an important part of our community. I want to reassure the club and its supporters that we will engage with any interested parties to understand how we might support the ongoing operation of the club."

And he reassured people concerned that the club's Plainmoor ground might be lost.

"The freehold of Plainmoor is held by the council, and we have long held a position that it remains with the council," he said. "Nothing has changed. Our position is still exactly as it was."

Mr Osborne said in his parting statement that his inability to realise his well-publicised desire to move Torquay United away from Plainmoor to a new ground elsewhere had been a key factor in his decision.

Cllr Darling went on: "To many of us who have been followers of the club, this is sadly something that has haunted our dreams for many months.

"We had raised this previously, that if the club found itself in a challenge, we must be ready to see how we can stand by and support them."

He said he was pleased to hear Cllr Thomas' reassurance on the future of Plainmoor, and added: "I am keen to ensure that football continues to be played there, and it continues to be played by Torquay United.

"We need to stand by the club and its supporters at this difficult time." :goodpost:
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Steve Darling is standing as the Lib Dem candidate in the General Election, although not a LD myself, I will be voting for him....he is an honourable man and gets things done. As was Adrian Saunders who was MP for at least three stints - he was excellent as well. Adrian is a regular at Plainmoor.

Unfortunately Boris was as despised almost as much as Osborne and Johnson telling just as many untruths!

COYY
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Torbay Councils position here doesn't surprise at all, I never understood why some were suggesting any phoenix club (last resort) would have to ground share with Buckland, if it comes to that I can't see why any phoenix club couldn't secure the use of Plainmoor.
Formerly known as forevertufc
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

This may not be a popular post, but I want to stick up for the council, even going back to Dave Webb, Chris Roberts, Osborne have all wanted the freehold on the land, and thankfully the council have said no, I just hope there's a Mike Bateson figure who's local, he wasn't everyones cup of tea, but I always thought he was a decent bloke who had the clubs best interests at heart, and he kept us solvent and debt free.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

The Great Muta! wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 15:22 This may not be a popular post, but I want to stick up for the council, even going back to Dave Webb, Chris Roberts, Osborne have all wanted the freehold on the land, and thankfully the council have said no, I just hope there's a Mike Bateson figure who's local, he wasn't everyones cup of tea, but I always thought he was a decent bloke who had the clubs best interests at heart, and he kept us solvent and debt free.
I'm with you

:goodpost:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

The Great Muta! wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 15:22 This may not be a popular post, but I want to stick up for the council, even going back to Dave Webb, Chris Roberts, Osborne have all wanted the freehold on the land, and thankfully the council have said no, I just hope there's a Mike Bateson figure who's local, he wasn't everyones cup of tea, but I always thought he was a decent bloke who had the clubs best interests at heart, and he kept us solvent and debt free.
Agree with all that, plus MB was pots-for-rags. :nod:
In a nice way.... :lol:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Fozziefan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Fozziefan »

It’s easy to say in hindsight and possibly with tinted spectacles, but I thought Bateson was an excellent owner for the club - realistic and kept us in the league - oh for that now!

+ I remember when he brought down the entry prices to 3 quid to get bigger gates in which worked until they realised that 3 quid times 4,000 is a lot less revenue than 1800 x 15quid! 🤔
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

Mike seemed to be on the back page of the Herald Express every other night keeping fans informed of what was happening at the club.
A chairman like him would be a breath of fresh air
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Well said, Bateson certainly was not a fool and engaged with the fans. I recall his ventriloquist dummy, which he bought out in the boardroom after a few whiskies.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Completely agree with you.
CornishGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CornishGull »

Dave wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 14:32 Torbay Councils position here doesn't surprise at all, I never understood why some were suggesting any phoenix club (last resort) would have to ground share with Buckland, if it comes to that I can't see why any phoenix club couldn't secure the use of Plainmoor.
I think the idea of playing at Buckland was because some people (may actually have been a single individual) thought we should start a Phoenix club whilst Osborne's Torquay United was still existence at Plainmoor. Daft idea.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Dave wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 14:32 Torbay Councils position here doesn't surprise at all, I never understood why some were suggesting any phoenix club (last resort) would have to ground share with Buckland, if it comes to that I can't see why any phoenix club couldn't secure the use of Plainmoor.
They would have done if Osborne had got his hands on Plainmoor.
AdrianC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by AdrianC »

Algernon without Mike Bateson operating him would have been more communicative than CO!